What are you reading right now? -

plgfarts

9 out of 10 doctors prefer Marlboro Reds.
kiwifarms.net
I finished "Foundation". It was alright. I found the political stuff held up well as well as the "psychohistory" stuff with Seldon. Obviously many elements of the sci fi have aged badly given the age of the novels and the rise in computing. I'm not sure if I'll finish the trilogy but I'm going to give it a shot.
It's worth it imo. I've gone as far as the 4th book and haven't been disappointed yet.

Flaming Carrot

kiwifarms.net
Ramsey Campbell's The Height of the Scream and Dark Companions

I absolutely love his prose and the creepy, uneasiness in his style of horror fiction.
I'm eager to start reading The Overnight once it gets here this week, as well.

Anybody familiar with his work? Anything you'd recommend as your faves either short stories or full novels? Would be appreciated.
I remember really liking Demons by Daylight, The Face that Must Die, and The Hungry Moon, but it's hard to go wrong with anything from Ramsey Campbell. He's one of the best horror authors of all time.

Deftones

Dickriding Biden
kiwifarms.net
Re-reading the Hunger Games trilogy because that's one of the few YA books that I actually like.

Queen_Ree

kiwifarms.net
Just finished reading Imajica by Clive Barker. It took way longer than I care to admit to get through it and I thought about just giving up and reading something else at one point but I soldiered on. There was nothing bad about the book at all, storytelling was on point, and the worldbuilding was interesting but I just had a hard time getting started. Also felt like I couldn't connect with the characters or care much about what happened to them. I would like to give him another shot tho because he is a talented writer. Any suggestions?

Chan Fan

Stunning and based
kiwifarms.net
Just finished reading Imajica by Clive Barker. It took way longer than I care to admit to get through it and I thought about just giving up and reading something else at one point but I soldiered on. There was nothing bad about the book at all, storytelling was on point, and the worldbuilding was interesting but I just had a hard time getting started. Also felt like I couldn't connect with the characters or care much about what happened to them. I would like to give him another shot tho because he is a talented writer. Any suggestions?
The Hellbound Heart (and The Scarlet Gospels after that) and I really enjoyed Abarat, the art in it is really cool

Justanotherguy

I know that I know nothing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1617283973659.png

I've been playing through my doom collection and wanted some good back story

Dave.

We can’t expect god to do all the work
kiwifarms.net
Decided to download a PDF of Into the wilds by Erin Hunter because I never really got what the following was about. I think I’m the wrong demographic because there’s barely any nuance about any of the faction conflicts and the antagonistic attitudes towards pets or clans. So my honest guess is it’s a book for kids so why MAPs (multi animator project) wangst out to it to emo music doesn’t make any sense to me. Also StarClan has to be one of the worst written things I’ve ever read in world building.

Chan Fan

Stunning and based
kiwifarms.net
I started reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and was certain I figured out the mystery/twist/ending of the book in the first chapter. Looked up spoilers and - I was right. Not reading the rest. Going to start reading The Gunslinger tomorrow.

DiabeticSP

kiwifarms.net
Reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms and besides its weird dry writing style (not helped by translation) and needing to check footnotes at the back of the third book in the set (annoying, use real footnotes at page bottom jackass) its honestly just better GoT.

Lu Bu is possibly literatures greatest himbo.

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net
Just about to finish Hyperion by Dan Simmons after hearing so many good things about it. Glad to see it's lived up to the hype, with the Poet's Tale being my favourite so far. I've peeked at the following books and I'm still a little unsure if I want to continue it or not. We shall see.

shameful existence

conflicts on the outside, fears within
kiwifarms.net
Finished two "physics" books this week, if anyone's into that.

The Physics of God (Joseph Selbie) - I was expecting to like this more than I actually did. Nice rundown of the "science and religions are complementary" arguments, but it gave me a lot of flashbacks to the New Atheism vs. believers era and those exchanges just aren't fun anymore. The book spends several chapters on things I don't fully understand (like quantum biology), so I'd feel bad calling it nonsense, but when listening to how all these people with multiple personality disorder had their iris color changed and moles disappeared, I was really wishing for a more philosophical approach. This won't age well.
selbie.jpg

Extraterrestrial (Avi Loeb) - When the astro-drama over Loeb pointing out Oumuamua might be a piece of an alien technology happened, I listened to a bunch of interviews with him doing very well in the ones where he was not challenged (Lex Fridman) and hilariously embarrassing himself in less friendly environment (at Michael Shermer's), but haven't yet decided on whether he's a total attention whore or a populist scientist who is the coolest outsider of this century while sitting on twenty different boards.
ANYWAYS, so the book will be liked by most Oumuamua fans. Loeb also tells a lot of his life, personal and professional, and I actually enjoyed the story (When I was first encouraged to dedicate my professional career to astrophysics, I didn’t even know what made the Sun shine.) I wish he'd stop name dropping Galileo though. His main point is - my colleagues are getting money for all this weird stuff (hypothetical multiverse etc.), and I'm being laughed at for being really into aliens. People like aliens. Don't be snobs.
loeb.jpg

Last edited:

Tortoise Soup

Resident Cockwhore
kiwifarms.net
The Hellbound Heart (and The Scarlet Gospels after that) and I really enjoyed Abarat, the art in it is really cool
Been wanting to pick up some Barker. I’m more interested in his brand of horror than King’s.

Currently reading Deleuze and Guattari’s Anti-Oedipus because I’m a philosophy simp that way.

Reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms and besides its weird dry writing style (not helped by translation) and needing to check footnotes at the back of the third book in the set (annoying, use real footnotes at page bottom jackass) its honestly just better GoT.

Lu Bu is possibly literatures greatest himbo.

Which translation is this?

Boston Brand

kiwifarms.net
Just finished the third book in Larry Corriea's Forgotten Warrior series, Destroyer of Worlds.

Honestly, its one of the best fantasy series in ages. Old school red blooded sword and sorcery with an Indian flair.

TheRedRanger

kiwifarms.net
I really should read something more improving, but I can't help but keep binging on the Hours Heresy novels. I'm on the Siege of Terra right now, namely Fury of Magnus (my favorite Primarch).