What are you reading right now? -

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
RN I'm reading Roadside Picnic, and I read The Crying of Lot 49 (I dig that kind of paranoid fiction and I liked it) and The New York Trilogy (City of Glass is far and away the best story) in the interim.

Gus

Interlocutor
kiwifarms.net
Up From Slavery, by Booker T. Washington. I found a first edition for $100, and talked my way out of paying tax, too. Hell of a deal.

• Feels
Reactions: Slap47

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Finally finished The Untold History of the United States. As good as the documentary series even if it was a little too Left leaning at times (particularly during the chapter on the Reagan years) but it was very good and I learned a lot. It pulled no punches when it came to the failure of Obama's presidency and how Afghanistan was his Vietnam.

Also reading a compilation of Carl Jung's work.

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, And The Prism Of Belief. I read that it's supposed to be one of the best books regarding Scientology and it being a cult.
I finished that last month or so. It was fantastic.

• Informative
Reactions: ATaxingWoman

GenderCop

Friendly neighborhood gender cop
kiwifarms.net
Coddling of the American Mind by Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff

goes a long way in describing the mess we're in - taking off from Allan Bloom's infamous "closing of the american mind" back in Reagan era. authors successfully argue that coddling is worse.

they describe the typical kid growing up with helicopter parents & how that syndrome has seeped into the academy. they assert the obsession with "keeping kids safe" is legacy of growing up with the m-i-l-k carton kids & John Walsh. at about same time in history - social media & video games kept kids inside more, less likely to "explore" neighborhoods & meet kids unlike themselves.

physical safety got translated into 'ideological safety'. thus when they come up against the unfamiliar they go c-r-a-z-y.

& they're right. very thought provoking book.

so far, mostly shitty 'discussions' online. the Left is all REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE but safety is NECESSARY to allow the oppressed to learn, you racists! -- while the Right doesn't like the class differences accurately described. (upper middle class "helicopter parents" vs. the working class latchkey kids of single moms, left to fend for themselves). the first group goes into academia &brings the helicopter parents values with them. i.e. apparently its common for adult students in good colleges to actually have their parents call a prof & yell at them over a bad grade????? the second group has no such expectation of any 'safe environment'.

they don't come out & say so, but its obv how all of this division brought us Trump & prob how he will get re-elected in 2020.

btw, i say this as liberal-leaning centrist, not as one who wants him re-elected but after reading this i certainly see handwriting on the wall & the contributing factors.

no doubt Trump is 'direct reaction' to overwhelmingly-PC academia & media.

MerriedxReldnahc

The Autistic Rites of Dracula
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings for the millionth time, but the last book I finished was Tall, Dark, and Gruesome by Christopher Lee. Being the badass he was he's got some great stories to tell, and he's got a great sense of humor that makes him really delightful to read. He pokes fun at himself too, he's got plenty of stories of his younger days where he managed to completely fuck up spectacularly. Knowing that he wasn't an infallible godlike man makes me like him even more.

Though be prepared for whole chapters about golf. He loved golf. Had a handicap of 2, whatever that means.

• Informative
Reactions: Slick Willy

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just finished reading Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko, didn't actually think the 80s military were that bad at taking care of their military installations in mainland America, this guy is an absolute badass. Now I'm in the mood for some Tom Clancy novels because of this, this guy is total Rainbow Six material. Going to pick up Rainbow Six and Storm of Steel next time.

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Starting on Jeeves and the King of Clubs, by Ben Schott, a Jeeves & Wooster novel authorized by P.G. Wodehouse's estate.

So far, so true to the light comic tone of the original stories, even though there's a war on the horizon and the British government is now very interested in how the British fascist Roderick Spode spends his money. (Before anyone calls "Get woke, go broke:" Spode is the second-greatest antagonist of the Jeeves & Wooster canon, right after Aunt Agatha, and is more bluster than anything.) On the other hand, there are the usual complications -- everyone's keen on everyone else and Wooster must play matchmaker, like it or not. Throw in a dreary West End play and some misbehaving Drones, and it's, so far, a worthy continuation.

Last edited:
Reactions: AprilRains

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
A Wilderness of Error by Errol Morris. Morris is a filmmaker who directed The Fog of War and The Thin Blue Line, the latter of which saved an innocent man from the electric chair. This book is about the case of Jeffrey MacDonald, who claims that he was subdued by a group of hippies who then brutally murdered his wife and children. After initially being cleared of charges, albeit in a way that did not permit double jeopardy to be in play, he was later convicted of the murders. Though I'm not sure if Morris will convince me of MacDonald's innocence, he does a damn good job of showing that MacDonald did not receive a fair trial and that the public had only really heard the prosecution's side of the events. Morris wrote the book because he couldn't secure funding to make a film about it, and that's a damn shame.

Gordon Cole

Yep, he's dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Currently reading High-Rise by J.G. Ballard and Swans: Sacrifice and Transcendence. I'd like the latter more if it wasn't an oral history.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino