What are you reading right now? -

Bennett Beeny

Sickest tranny in MegaCity One
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Horus Rising and started False Gods. Rekindling my reading habit after some years and it never went far enough in the first place tbh. Could use some sci-fi and military recommendations for dumb fucks.

I'm also reading The Pentagon's Brain, an inside look at the history of DARPA. Pretty good but sparse in places since they're so secretive by nature. The author did a good job shining a light on things despite hurdles in classified and misfiled documents. I'm hoping the bibliography points me to more resources of a similar nature. I want to read the version of the Emergency Plans Book available to the public too, that shit sounds like great fodder for post-apocalypse stories.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Been reading Haruki Murakami. I've been flipping between Men Without Women and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. I'm not sure whether or not I want to read his novels in chronological order.

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
I'm reading "The Courage To Be Disliked" which uses a framing device of a young man debating a philosopher who studied Adlerian psychology over whether or not it's possible to simplify your life by letting go of certain behaviours and consequently living a happier life. It's really interesting and given the lolcows we follow, a look into how their thought processes can be interpreted.

Dr. Dingo DVM

kid tested, mother approved
kiwifarms.net
Reading "Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus." Pretty much what it says on the tin, a comprehensive history of rabies and its role in history, especially in mythology, folklore, and medicine. The writing style pulls you right in without being too heavy on the details.

Slowboat to China

Drinking Toilet Duck
kiwifarms.net
I just finished a complete reread of the Ciaphas Cain series in preparation for Choose Your Enemies, which I haven't gotten yet. (Alas.) Also rereading Shattered, that book about Hillary Clinton's campaign--oddly funny, though I don't think the authors intended it that way.

Work has been stressful lately, though, so I haven't been seeking out new material as much. Do you guys find yourselves more likely to reread during times like those?

Andrew Neiman

I'll cue you!
kiwifarms.net
Currently jumping back and forth between "Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories" by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa and "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki.

The Disaster Artist

Very rarely does a book make me audibly laugh out loud. The amazing things they omitted from the movie is a crying shame.
This book was a real surprise for me. It lures you in with promises of "Oh hai mark! Ha ha Tommy Wiseau is soooo weeeeird" and then hits you with some authentic pathos. I particularly enjoyed Sestero's account of his awkward experiences on the set of "Patch Adams." I think most of us suspect we would probably behave something like that if we found ourselves in those circumstances.

As someone who was thoroughly obsessed with "The Room" for several years, I'm surprised how ephemeral the "Disaster Artist" movie turned out to be. It was far from bad, but I've hardly thought about it since I saw it.

Reactions: Detrogen

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
I just read a creepy but well written short story called "A distant episode". It's about a professor in north africa who is ignorant of the culture there and gets captured by a tribe. They multilate him and let him dance for their amusement. Later he gets sold to another tribe.

Reactions: Wendy Torrance

Oh Long Johnson

Collecting your suffering when you die
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. I expected the combination of mid-20th century France, English translation and the philosophy to combine for a complete no-handjob experience, and was thrilled to find the encounter with the priest at the end completely satisfying.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Just finished The Stranger by Albert Camus. I expected the combination of mid-20th century France, English translation and the philosophy to combine for a complete no-handjob experience, and was thrilled to find the encounter with the priest at the end completely satisfying.
I really liked this but I love The Plague and re-read it every few years.

Captain Ahab

kiwifarms.net
Verity by Colleen Hoover.

It was recommended to me. I haven’t read any of her other books. While Verity has some weak points, the story is surprisingly well done. The writing is excellent. Even if you’re not into psycho thriller romance novels, it’s worth a read if only to learn how to hook a reader with an addicting story structure. The way she reveals the plot makes the book hard to put down. Chapter hooks and foreshadowing are not groundbreaking techniques, but she did them well. I can see why her stories have a large following. I didn’t like the ending though.

• Informative

Dysnomia

Gloop Gloop
kiwifarms.net
Jude The Obscure. I actually bought it a long time ago and when I moved I didn't get a chance to get all my books. What I did take ended up in a shoebox that I only discovered a few months ago. I was majorly backlogged when I bought it and never got around to it. The edition is 1996 and it indeed may be that old. It is the last novel I bought from Marlow Books in the Roosevelt Mall. So it is special to me. I really loved that book store but it was a mom & pop and when the neighborhood started to turn from nice Jewish neighborhood to scary dindu trash pile they closed. The owner said that there was too much crime. That is why the hobby shop relocated too. Also, Ja'Qwan can't read and doesn't like card games and Gundam models.

Anyway, I am glad I found it because I love reading books that were written 100+ years ago.

I might read The Razor's Edge next since I found a ton of books from the 40s in a closet. I intend to read them all. Some are in better shape than others though.

Dr. Dingo DVM

kid tested, mother approved
kiwifarms.net
Rereading The Indifferent Stars Above. If you're into frontier history you owe it to yourself to read this book, it's probably the best book on the Donner Party ever written. Horrifying as hell though.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis E. Dec Esc.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
“The Reluctant Druid”, it was on sale on Amazon for $1, so I gave it a shot. It’s entertaining, it’s giving me 90’s era sci-fi/fantasy vibes. More fun characters on adventures, less the Grimdark Politicking than seems to be popular now.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino