What are you reading right now? -

Ubiquitous

kiwifarms.net
Innocent Blood by P.D James. It's about a girl named Philipa who learns that she was put up for adoption because her father was a rapist and her mother is a murderer. So naturally, once she learns that her mother's to be released soon she invites her to share a flat for 3 months.

It's disturbing without being graphic; the mother is written as being very human and even bonds with the daughter she was separated from. It makes you feel really icky though because this is the same woman who, a few pages back, acknowledged her husband as a rapist but still defended him, blaming the girl for wandering into his clutches, who she then strangled to death in an effort to cover up his crime.

Philipa herself seems to be a bit of a sociopath, which you're left to decide whether it's a trait she inherited from Mummy Dearest or from being kept emotionally at arms length by her adoptive parents, particularly her father.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wendy Torrance

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
I'm on my nth rereading of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose", courtesy of the tv series from the same book that recently aired in my country. This is probably one of the weirdest and best novels of modern Italian literature, for themes, history, writing style, influence and, yes, pop references (one of reasons a lot of people hate it). Everytime I read it, I find something new to reflect on.

• Informative
Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Francis E. Dec Esc.

kiwifarms.net
I've listened to 1/3rd of William R. Forstchen's One Second After on audiobook. Holy fuck was the chapters about everyone in the nursing home and VA hosptital dying because of the EMP destroying all electronics depressing. That aside, the book is forming up into one of those 'military = good, civilian = bad' 'rural = good, urban/suburban = bad' 'dictatorship = good, democracy = bad' Walter Mitty fantasies we usually discuss in the fucked up books thread.

Edit: I'm halfway through One Second After and I think I'm going to drop it. It's turning into a full-out moralizing slog. Civilians are portrayed as worthless, undisciplined cowards, non-Christians are evil, non-rural people are degenerates, etc.

Last edited:

Bean Cheese

kiwifarms.net
If on a winter's night a traveler by Italo Calvino

It reads faintly like the author's own farts, but an intriguing novel nonetheless if you like meta shit. Best observed going in 100% blind though.

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
I just got done with A Clockwork Orange and I have a friend who highly recommends Brave New World as being triplets with 1984 and the Trial for cornerstone prophetic dystopian works. From the way he described though, made it seem it was heavy handed with the "You need Jesus" message.

Captain Ahab

kiwifarms.net
Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito. It was recently adopted into a series by Netflix. I’m actually surprised Cuckflix greenlit this.

I recall that I pointed this out to Christer. That courts are wrong all the time. Rapists are always going free. There’s not even any point to reporting a sexual assault, because even if you were force-fucked by half a refugee camp and you get an entire case’s worth of bottles shoved up between your legs, they never believe the girl. And that doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen, and that the rapist didn’t do what he did.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Oscar Wildean

Happy Helloween.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mattie: Wyatt Earp's Secret Second Wife. It's the only book that talks about Wyatt Earp's less talked about forgotten wife. It's a pretty interesting read.

MerriedxReldnahc

The Autistic Rites of Dracula
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm reading some non LotR Tolkien works right now (Smith of Wootton Major and Farmer Giles of Ham) before either jumping back into the LotR world by finally reading the Silmarillion, or I'm going to read one of the sci-fi books I got for cheap at a library book sale.
If audiobooks count too, I found a recording of Christopher Lee doing a (abridged) reading of The Exorcist.
I've read the book a few times before and really enjoyed it, it's great to listen to in his voice.
Don't want to listen to the whole thing but still want to hear Christopher Lee say "cocksucker"? Here ya go.

There's also a recording up of the author himself doing a full reading, and I've heard that one is very good.

BanalEntropy

kiwifarms.net
I've recently finished reading Ender's Game and I think I'm going to try to read the entire series now. That aside, am I the only fucking moron that didn't see the twist coming?

• Feels
Reactions: nagant 1895

ProfDongs

kiwifarms.net
I'm reading S by Koji Suzuki, I'm about halfway through and it looks like its tying into Ring which i'm now kind of regretting not reading first if this turns out to be some sort of pseudo sequel. The writing isn't bad for a translation either, not very stiff and flows pretty well. I'll probably check pick up Ring after this I think.

Ubiquitous

kiwifarms.net
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards. The year is 1964, and a couple eagerly await the arrival of their new baby. It turns out that the mum was actually carrying twins, and although she births a healthy son, she also bears a little girl with down syndrome.

She's given away by her father immediately after her birth, who tells his wife that she died (she was zonked out on gas at the time). I'm rather enjoying it, just finished the chapter where the mum gets drunk and heads back to their old house, stumbling around and taking pictures of the last place she shared with her daughter.

Reactions: Oscar Wildean

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Montauk Project by Preston Nichols. It’s almost aggressively dumb, but I like stupid conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

lurk_moar

Wears a lab coat but curses like a sailor.
kiwifarms.net
I have kindle induced ADHD, so five different books from different genres including nonfiction.

At least three different audiobooks going at once too.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino