What are you reading right now? -

Exigent Circumcisions

This little piggy is reeeetarded.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Jews and Their Lies
The Bible
Shadow And Claw

I really enjoy Alastair Reynolds, Pushing Ice is one of the tightest books I've encountered so I read it yearly. Century Rain is also good. Revelation Space series is fantastic with a bit of a meh at Absolution Gap.

Unfortunately, On The Steel Breeze has a character with ve/vis pronouns and it's incredibly jarring to me.

My brain always sends up the 'typo' alert and then I have to grit my way through it. It adds nothing to the character either; Reynolds always has at least two main characters with well-rounded personae and stronk wahmen are very common so it really comes across as virtue signalling.

• Informative
Reactions: Safir

ApatheticViewer

kiwifarms.net
Update: I finished The Castle.
SPOILERS BELOW

Honestly people are missing the point if they think the book is incomplete without Kafka's original planned ending. The book geniusly ends on the landlady forcing K. To examine her dress which she describes as old fashioned, fussy, and often renovated. She's describing the society K. Has existed in for 2 books the dress is a metaphor. In the end she opens the wardrobe to reveal more and more dresses clearly symbolizing the fragility of any society to the concept of change. The original ends on her inviting K. To come see her new dress. Clearly a prelude to the future. At least that's what I got out of it

The book then shows 2 possible paths K. Could go down. He either goes back to work in a family's cottage or stays where he is. The choice is actually to surrender to the mob of socitey or surrender to his isolated independence in search of truth.

Which he picked is a choice everyone must make. I think that's what Kafka was getting at. You can either live in that absurdity or start chipping away at it

End of review

Oscar Wildean

Happy Helloween.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll be diving into A Room With A View because I'm doing research for an Edwardian upper middle-class character I'm writing. This book is supposed to be all about people in that class, so I think it'll be useful for me.

Hikikomori-Yume

kiwifarms.net
The Turner Diaries

This book is complete garbage. Stephenie Meyer could write a better story
View attachment 753492
lmao. Just picked it up today. Honestly this will be my second time reading Ulysses . I'll try to finish before Bloomsday but it'll probably take me an extra month.

Good book but nothing beats The Wake. Still my favorite of all time
Who the fuck actually drinks an energy drink?
I thought that was just a meme.
Go drink a real fucking soda like Dr. Pepper you fucking ignorant plebeian.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Feels
Reactions: Marco Fucko

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
I've been rereading R Scott Bakker's Aspect Emperor series for my sf&f fix, it's probably my favorite modern fantasy series/setting, just so grim and complex.
I've also been rereading James Ellroy's Perfidia in anticipation of it's sequel being released soon. Anyone who's a fan of crime fiction who hasn't read any Ellroy yet should definitely give him a try. My all around favorite crime author, and one of my favorite authors in general

Rigor Meowtis

Good thing I don't know how to read
kiwifarms.net
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer. I’ve been trying to get back into reading for some time, and I picked up a couple used copies of books I wanted to read. The used bookstores failed to note on their website that this book was full of markings from a high school project, so there’s highlighter on every page and scribbles of “ew that’s nasty” in the margins.

It was like $2 and not worth the effort of sending back so I’m reading it and enjoying the snide comments from the high school girls who had to read this for their AP English class.

ATaxingWoman

Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
I just finished reading the fourth volume of L'Arabe du futur. Next I'm planning to re-read two books on Japanese history for an exam

Truant

he looked inside me
kiwifarms.net
Reading through a collection of Howard's Conan stories. It's hard cover and sadly doesn't have one of those awesome S&S covers with naked women and a barely clothed Conan fighting off a snake or gorilla.
The stories are very old fashioned with a style of writing that's often imitated but no one can seem to get right. I also love how overtly racist all of the characters and the narrator himself is in describing people, with every character having prejudices and stereotypes of anyone who isn't of their own race.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
Reading The King in Yellow, mostly to gain inspiration for a tabletop game I'm running. One of my players wants to be a devotee to Hastur. I've read most of Lovecraft and Derleth's work, and wanted to expand on some more weird/cosmic horror fiction. Book is actually really good and holding my interest, so that's a bonus.

RetardedCat

javascript is the future, Josh.
kiwifarms.net
Currently finishing Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. It's some solid sci-fi with a really nice touch of dark humor and social commentary that I wasn't expecting to find in there but is a very welcome addition and makes for a really fun read.

The next book I'll pick up from my massive pile of shit to read will probably be Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Needed something light to read inbetween bits of Les Miserables. The chunk meandering around the philosophy of convents was tiresome. I suppose back when it was written it was a daring take, but whew. The chunk about Waterloo was more interesting, though I do wonder at it's accuracy, though it was written at a closer time period to it than a modern history book.

So I'm rereading Guards!Guards! By Terry Pratchett. Been several years since I read all of the Sam Vimes and the guards books.

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
Currently finishing Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. It's some solid sci-fi with a really nice touch of dark humor and social commentary that I wasn't expecting to find in there but is a very welcome addition and makes for a really fun read.

The next book I'll pick up from my massive pile of shit to read will probably be Alastair Reynolds's Revelation Space.
Is accelerando worth reading? Stoss generally?

ApatheticViewer

kiwifarms.net
Who the fuck actually drinks an energy drink?
I thought that was just a meme.
Go drink a real fucking soda like Dr. Pepper you fucking ignorant plebeian.

Soda and coffee doesn't really do anything for me anymore. I used to pound 5 or 6 black coffees a day when I was working nights.

I usually only drink black eyes (2 espresso shots + coffee) and sugary energy drinks. Starbucks double shot espressos are my lifeblood

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino