What are you reading right now? -

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do) (A post about feelings)
    This announcement will be removed when I (hopefully) finalize my audit either today or tomorrow. I will follow it up with a mass email to all users linking the information in this announcement. So far, there has been no subsequent release of data.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pynchon eventually rewards you for the effort put in, though, even in the arguably more difficult to read Mason and Dixon.
I agree. Dianetics just gets crazier and crazier. Utterly beyond me how anyone can believe this stuff, much less subscribe to Scientology.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
Just started A Distant Mirror. A look at the 14th century's negative aspects of life. Seems the author is trying to make a correlation between 14th century common man suffering, and the suffering of soldiers and civilians during WWI

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
Saga, by Tonino Benacquista.
It's the story of four unsuccessful screenwriters, who are asked by a French network to write a soap opera that will be aired at 4.00 am. It has to be cheap, since the network is producing it just because, per European laws, they have to air a certain number of hours of original fiction. Marco, Luis, Matilde and Jerome are given a room with a computer, a printer and a sofa, and an unlimited credit at the pizza place around the corner. Since their producers told them "do whatever", they interpret it as "do whatever you want"... they do it, and it's hilarious.

Reactions: AnOminous

goatkafka

kiwifarms.net
I started off on 1Q84 by Murakami. I like his style, just don't care for how often he writes about banging married women or cheating in general. I couldn't finish South of the Border, East of the Sun, I felt bad for Yukiko.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Murakami had wrecked homes before, he loves married women.
Murakami is one of those authors who once you see their particular tics/obsessions, you can't unsee them. Not just married women, but specifically things like his obsession with ears, cats, jazz, very involved description of the breasts on teenage girls, Cutty Sark whisky, sex that involves the act as engulfment etc etc. 1Q84 is where he lost it for me, it felt like the Murakami-ness of his writing for the first time overpowered the story.

• Agree
Reactions: AbyssStarer

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Murakami is one of those authors who once you see their particular tics/obsessions, you can't unsee them. Not just married women, but specifically things like his obsession with ears, cats, jazz, very involved description of the breasts on teenage girls, Cutty Sark whisky, sex that involves the act as engulfment etc etc. 1Q84 is where he lost it for me, it felt like the Murakami-ness of his writing for the first time overpowered the story.
I'm about halfway through the book, and most of the Murakami-isms are muted enough to not bug me. The love story between Aomame and Tengo seems kind of random though, like he didn't think of it until the book was already partially written. I like the ambiguous evil of the Sakigake leader and Aomame not being sure she did the right thing, but Tengo's storyline remains juuuust interesting enough to hold me. Sometimes Murakami does amazing with his empty male characters, but Tengo should have really had something else going for him.

I would be willing to guess Murakami rode on Epstein's plane before. Fuka-Eri didn't have to be 17 and the sex scene with her is very detailed. Plus, the narrative can't decide between there being sexual tension between Fuka-Eri and Tengo or not, and talking about her tits and whatever else gets tiring. She's an ethereal beauty, I got that 500 pages ago.

The story might've been more interesting if it was between Aomame and Ayumi, especially since Aomame appears to be bisexual, but I don't think Japan likes bisexuals. From the schlock I've read over the years, Japan doesn't even seem to think homosexual sex is "real sex." I expect Aomame to never think of Ayumi again.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino