What are your thoughts on the decline in quality games/gaming companies in the last 10 years or so?

Glowie Hunter Art Bell

"We are All Terminal" - Art Bell
kiwifarms.net
My first thread and im gunna be quite a bit of a sperg here.

Maybe its due to my overwhelming love of open world games, and racing games, which are more content and detail driven than anything. But i started gaming right when the ps2 came out. Always been into racing games, open world stuff (GTA, Just Cause etc)

Over time I've just noticed this decline in a number of areas. Mainly the quality, and level of content, but also replayablity. I felt like this for awhile and thought maybe I was looking at the past thru rose tinted glasses.

Then I installed a PS2 emulator on my pc and started playing some older stuff. Its not rose tinted glasses. Modern/recent games just lack....something. and its hard to put my finger on. Stuff from the ps2-xbox era until the mid ps3/360 era just grabs you and draws you in.

I think a great example is GTAIV vs GTAV. GTAIV is this super gritty, realistic world. It keeps you playing, not just thru gameplay, but because the more you play the more the world unfolds, the more you can see, do, interact with. GTAV just feels like being tossed onto a movie set. GTAIV's physics felt heavy - your character, the cars you drove, gunshots etc all felt like they had weight, and depth. GTAV feels like plastic.

FH4 is another good one here. FH1 has you start small, unlock cars, earn money, etc. FH4 im handed 7-8 high end cars and enough money to do whatever i want within the first 2 hours of gameplay.

It seems like older games spent more time encouraging you to actually play, and actually feel the world around you, which made you more immersed in the experience, whereas modern games seem more happy to the whole game at you in the tutorial. This is especially true when dealing with open world type stuff where the content and world truly makes the game.

This isnt one size fits all. There are plenty of shallow classic games, and well made modern games. The ratio is just getting more and more skewed every year, and quality is going down the drain with it.

My experience with going back to older titles made me think abit about why this happened. I think the cause of this was the ps3/xbox360 offering easy online capability and being widely available. Then somewhat midway thru its lifespan, games like World at War/MW/BO started to drop. This made for easy, cheap and repetitive multiplayer experiences that sold games and brought a much more casual customer in - a customer that also didnt care about a well made Single player experience.

Seeing this trend, those im game design realized that its much more profitable to sell a shiny Multiplayer shooter than a 60-70 hour detailed and player driven immersive world, as well as cheaper to make.

While there are still titles that offer stuff like this being released, they are often Niche market stuff. I think Snowrunner is a good example of this. Thr whole game revolves around the player doing literally everything, and thr base game has roughly 80 hours of content.

Maybe im just old idk. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

I Love Beef

OH YEAHHUH, SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM
kiwifarms.net
I will have to say it really, really sucks.....

But not only does nothing last forever, but outside of business, creators can't just pump out everything they want at demand, be it theirs or ours.

Not only that, I'd have to say the Great Recession also has a huge impact on video games. Pre-Great Recession, the economy was stable enough to make money at a reasonable input of time at the salt mines, come back home, buy games, and enjoy yourself in adulthood. Post Great Recession, everyone's either working two jobs because inflation is just keeping on coming, insurance and debts like student loans have increased in premiums and overhead, and this also pushes hard on video game developers and studios because all of this extra work and worry means you can't just make traditional video games anymore and expect to make back a profit let alone break even because the investors/higher ups are sitting shitting their pants on the floor and sucking their thumbs stupid scared at Chapter 11, or devote your brainpower and creative powers to make a great game, because believe me, you can't just have a great idea and not flesh it out and invest no time in it to make sure you don't break or swamp your game idea.

It is still possible to make video games, and not like the shit moba garbage or insta-flick gatcha gambling, but you can't ignore the climate that we live in.

Glowie Hunter Art Bell

"We are All Terminal" - Art Bell
kiwifarms.net
I will have to say it really, really sucks.....

But not only does nothing last forever, but outside of business, creators can't just pump out everything they want at demand, be it theirs or ours.

Not only that, I'd have to say the Great Recession also has a huge impact on video games. Pre-Great Recession, the economy was stable enough to make money at a reasonable input of time at the salt mines, come back home, buy games, and enjoy yourself in adulthood. Post Great Recession, everyone's either working two jobs because inflation is just keeping on coming, insurance and debts like student loans have increased in premiums and overhead, and this also pushes hard on video game developers and studios because all of this extra work and worry means you can't just make traditional video games anymore and expect to make back a profit let alone break even because the investors/higher ups are sitting shitting their pants on the floor and sucking their thumbs stupid scared at Chapter 11, or devote your brainpower and creative powers to make a great game, because believe me, you can't just have a great idea and not flesh it out and invest no time in it to make sure you don't break or swamp your game idea.

It is still possible to make video games, and not like the shit moba garbage or insta-flick gatcha gambling, but you can't ignore the climate that we live in.
Its a huge issue and I 100% agree. Its rhe reason we dont see many "experimental" concepts anymore. Cost vs profit.

Great recession also killed off a number of great studios. Pandemic comes to mind

The Last Stand

RIP Betty White (1922-2021)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel with the seventh generation onwards, developers have been complacent with releasing unfinished products with the expectations that patches will fix them afterwards. A few bugs I can understand, but when fundamental parts of your game are not up to par, that's a problem.

Halo: MCC, Assassin's Creed: Unity, Cyberpunk 2077, No Man's Sky and SimCity are prime examples. Either through DRM, rushed development, broken servers or lack of care, games are not guaranteed to work out the box.

Sea Urchin

Probably not drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Lack of genuine passion due to diversity hires, normies, and reddit pop culture soys attracting even more of the former. None of these people want to make games, they want to participate in their idea of gaming culture because now it's hip and cool to be a nerd. Once gaming stopped being about creative weirdos making entertainment for other weirdos it was over.

Anon88

kiwifarms.net
And nothing will ever change because both normies and "gamers" will keep buying this shit and its dlc on day 1.
Yeah I think it's mostly this. People seem to buy games based on what they think is popular and not on what they actually think might be fun. Everyone just wants to fit in with the crowd and be just like either other. That mixed with paid reviews and a ton of marketing means that most big name games are going to sell well no matter what so why bother trying to make a good game when a crappy one takes half the time.

The Last Stand

RIP Betty White (1922-2021)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The video game industry needs another crash.
How would something like that happen? Closest thing would be the shortage of consoles because of the chip shortage. I would think if more Star War Battlefront II backlashes happen to similar games, we'd see game developers think twice before encouraging such behavior.

Thiletonomics

SEMEN CING
kiwifarms.net
Games trying too hard to be storytelling media, and including really dumb as fuck stories on top of it, i.e. The Last of Us 2's jumbled mess that is called a story, don't help either. And the story part of the game, as well as the game being relatively bug-free compared other messes such as CP2077, was even a distraction from other issues with that game, i.e. the very few changes to the actual game play, and ND effectively getting a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for their use of Crunch Time during the game's development, while other companies like CDPR and EA got assfucked in response to their crunch time accusations.

Dwight Frye

kiwifarms.net
I lost interest in newer video games around 2007-2008. With very few exceptions everything just seemed either bland and dull, dumbed down or pozzed by woketards. Could be that I’m getting older as well and just don’t have the same level of interest in newer games as I did 10 or 20 years ago. There’s tons of great games from my past to still enjoy, they’re not going anywhere so when I feel like playing some vidya I’ve got my raspberry pi emulation console or my desktop for the handful of new-ish games I don’t mind. I don’t care enough about modern gaming to get worked up over the state of it

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
Games trying too hard to be storytelling media, and including really dumb as fuck stories on top of it, i.e. The Last of Us 2's jumbled mess that is called a story, don't help either. And the story part of the game, as well as the game being relatively bug-free compared other messes such as CP2077, was even a distraction from other issues with that game, i.e. the very few changes to the actual game play, and ND effectively getting a "Get Out of Jail Free" card for their use of Crunch Time during the game's development, while other companies like CDPR and EA got assfucked in response to their crunch time accusations.
Games need to be CINEMATIC.
So a publisher with no clue about film making pays a game developer with no clue about film making to make a game that requires film making skills like story telling, directing a scene, cinematography, ...

Thiletonomics

SEMEN CING
kiwifarms.net
Games need to be CINEMATIC.
So a publisher with no clue about film making pays a game developer with no clue about film making to make a game that requires film making skills like story telling, directing a scene, cinematography, ...

And that also adds on to the budget, including needing to hire voice actors, and needing to do motion capture for those said cinematics.