What do you miss about Youtube - Inb4 everything

The Wizard

I have spells.
kiwifarms.net
I miss the "homemade" aspect of it all. It used to be in a state in which someone taking an actual video camera and making short films was seen as a pretty big thing, compared to everything else on the site.

Remember Nigahiga and his "How to be a ninja/gangster/emo" series? That would never even get more than maybe 1,000 views if it were released today.

Personally, I think that Youtube began its descent when they introduced ads. At the time, it sounded amazing to be able to treat making videos as a day job, but I don't think anyone predicted the actual effect it would have on video quality. Actually, "content quality" would be a better term. The technical quality of videos quickly improved, as Youtubers got access to better equipment and even sometimes actual crews to help them, but this also came at the cost of content quality. Once money gets involved, then making videos becomes a liability. Would you rather be experimental and do what you feel like, or look at the analytics and make a video based on what gets the most views?

When a channel introduces an upload schedule, you know that things are about to go downhill.

On that note, I can't help but also lament the separation between the creator and the audience. In, say 2009, there were Youtubers and Viewers. In 2020, there are content creators and audiences. You could say it is just semantics, but the relationship between the maker of videos and the people watching those videos just feels so artificial and insincere, now. There was a time in which many youtubers would take time in a video to personally respond to a comment or message they got from a viewer.

Well, you technically still have that, but only if you're a member of their Patreon and pay for a mention in a video.

Mr. ShadowCreek

kiwifarms.net
How it felt more like a community. I actually made friends there in my first 5 years there. You could message someone you were friends with. I'm not sure if message are even a thing anymore. I don't know how to get to them if they do. Sadly Youtube deleted all old message a few years ago. I usually got spam anyway. Which reminds me on how I sort of miss chain messages. You know those one that tell a scary story of someone who died and if you don't forward it they will come and kill you.

Channel comments were similar. It was annoying when popular Youtubers contently had people on their comment section saying "Sub for sub" or anything like that. They have been replaced by Community comments

I also miss Downfall parodies. They're still around but they're not what they used to be. Some of them had a lot of effort put into them. My favorites were the Hitler goes to FegalLand and Hitler goes to Japan.

No sponsors. Commercials are one thing, but it's annoying when every channel I watch has to have a sponsor. Sure you can skip it but it gets repetitive to do it every time. I can't count how many times Doug Walker sponsored Honey.

No celebrities. Youtube was for regular people. It was for their chance to be in the spotlight. Now that people who are already famous like Ellen take that away it's a lot harder for original creators.

guffrey__

kiwifarms.net
The fact that videos were made because people liked to make them, not because they smelled the jewgold from adsense and decided to rip on [INSERT HOTBUTTON ISSUE HERE] for some shekels. Seriously, it feels like everyone has the same opinion and style of humor nowadays, it's like these people are synthetic or some shit. H3 stands out as the worst offender; he used to make some pretty decent content way back when, but now he runs a less-than mediocre podcast where he shoves 50 3-minute sponsor reads on a 2 hour podcast, it feels like, not to mention his connections to these interesting celebrities is completely gone to waste on his extremely bland interviews. Bill Burr's episode comes to mind.

• Agree
Reactions: TurdFondler

MaterBaiter

It Just Works
kiwifarms.net
How it felt more like a community. I actually made friends there in my first 5 years there. You could message someone you were friends with. I'm not sure if message are even a thing anymore. I don't know how to get to them if they do. Sadly Youtube deleted all old message a few years ago. I usually got spam anyway. Which reminds me on how I sort of miss chain messages. You know those one that tell a scary story of someone who died and if you don't forward it they will come and kill you.
Youtube actually had a message system on the home page a while back I believe, but it was implemented in such a shitty way that nobody used it, so they killed it off. Now I think you can only message channels in a way that's buried under like 5 menus.

Dededon't

Dededone with this year
kiwifarms.net
One of my favorite additions back in the day was video annotations. Even now I'm upset that Youtube removed that feature.

• Agree
Reactions: yoshitsune

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
The lack of corporate presence, I miss when going on the front page you'd find shit like Charlie the Unicorn, or Chocolate Rain instead of fucking Stephen Colbert or some shitty pop ""musician"".

I also miss the old channel backgrounds you could customize that have just been replaced by a soulless web 2.0 design to appeal to boomer investors.

Digital Thunder

Triple Bastard
kiwifarms.net
Watching random anime in full, the YouTube Poop heyday, and people making crummy made-for-YouTube fanimes. The latter I assume got replaced with animation memes as time has gone on, but it's so much harder to get any ironic enjoyment out of 10-second loops of someone's bad furry OC head-bobbing compared to people trying really hard to make their own magical girl series entirely with MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker.

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
The general amateur vibe of the platform before the corporate takeover. Even videos ostensibly by independent individuals have to have so much production behind them now because the current asshole audience will tune out if things aren't flashy and ADHD friendly enough, plus all the algorithm whoring everyone has already complained about. Everything feels so much more corporate, even when it's not literally being put out by a corporation.

Remember Response videos?
videos related to video you're watching?
I miss that.
People hated that when it was around because of all the Reply Girls who spammed vapid babbling under every popular video with their tits hanging out. If only we'd realized that was the lesser evil to the algorithm bullshit that exists now...

eeeeeeeeeeeee_diot

it takes a really high iq to understand validate
kiwifarms.net
Honestly missed all those AMVS that were made in Sony Vegas and were actually nice to watch (with lyrics and everything). Now it's all instagram edits that are all just loops of pictures, which... suck.

I miss the 5 star rating and the funny parody music a la Toby Turner's LITERAL trailers and Key of Awesome. Video responses were so much fun too.

Also, really miss animations that aren't storytime videos. The stickmen fighting animations like in Hyun's DoJo, those animations where stickmen try to escape the computer screen or something. Animations nowadays are either storytime videos or student films, which, although nice to watch sometimes, oversaturate the market and make it all boring.

I just miss originality and creativity. Everything seems sterilized, following a common formula to cheat the algorithm. Everyone can have a couple hundred thousand to a million suscribers if they know how to work Youtube, and the site simply doesn't reward actually passionate and talented creators.

Gaming videos too. I really do wish there were more gamers like ManlyBadassHero or Chuggaaconroy.

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I miss when the search algorithm was both more accurate and more interesting. I remember being able to search quotes from even more obscure videos I had seen before and it would find them most of the time. Regardless of if you found the video you were looking for or not I also remember getting search results that were a lot more relevant and in the vein of what I wanted to see. I would frequently get lost in a Wikipedia-esque rabbit hole of checking out related video after related video. Half the time what came up wasn't even popular, you could discover all kinds of things. Now it's all just shilling, either fire corporations or youtube stars.

Tags
None