What do you miss about Youtube - Inb4 everything

South American Tapir

Dumb people haul trash around
kiwifarms.net
I miss the days when anything and everything could go viral, like ridiculous, original songs, or strange, old commercials.
Nowadays, the trending page is full of nothing but modern music, news, boring vlogs, and other dull, artificial things.

Gaming videos that were about the enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a game, not about the person playing them.

Youtube Poops that weren't overstuffed with ear rape.

When reaction channels weren't a thing.

Videos where every single second didn't have an edit, usually of the deep fried variety.

Last edited:

Big Nasty

ASSHOLE
kiwifarms.net
I miss the weird side of YouTube too.

I mean, there used to be a global community of weirdos that just uploaded videos of themselves smoking different styles of tobacco pipes.

I really liked the goofy amateur vibe of YouTube.

Shitposty MSpaint slideshows, skateboard videos, sweaty bodybuilders, backyard wrestling, shitty garage bands...

Last edited:

PipTheAlchemist

kiwifarms.net
I miss the weird side of YouTube too.

I mean, there used to be a global community of weirdos that just uploaded videos of themselves smoking different styles of tobacco pipes.

Shitposty MSpaint slideshows, basement-posing, skateboard videos, sweaty bodybuilders,, backyard wrestling, shitty garage bands...
SmokingInTheFags?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Big Nasty

Itachi Uchiha

先輩変態
kiwifarms.net
Before ad revenue. I don't care who thinks it was a good idea, it was the beginning of the end. I remember the very day YouTubers were able to make money off their videos and I remember saying to my friend, "Watch, this is going to ruin YouTube." Since then the change in climate was noticable and progressively got worse; the creator community became less genuinely friendly with each other, more drama between creators, backstabing, side taking, more people started making videos using "tricks" to get more views rather then just making content worth watching, channels stopped being done out of passion and became stupid little mini companies. Money is important obviously, but it ruins everything. I've seen it happen time and time again with many different situations. It just makes me sad at the internet when I see a good thing get destroyed suddenly because everything has to be profitable apparently.

Sorry for the rant, but I can guarantee YouTube wouldn't be so shit right now if nobody could made mine off it.

BadTakeCrucifier

They should have never gave you niggas Twitter
kiwifarms.net
I miss when the front page showed popular videos from my actual subscriptions. It seems like now, if you just click on any random video, the front page will give you 10 suggestions for similar videos and I really don't care for them.

Plus the amount of clickbait is really fucking bad.

I miss when youtube paid their creators for ad revenue properly and we didn't have the trend of videos being stretched out to 15 minutes just for something can can be explained in 2 fucking minutes.

Last edited:

Doctor Placebo

Soleimani's back. Tell a friend.
kiwifarms.net
I miss when the search algorithm was both more accurate and more interesting. I remember being able to search quotes from even more obscure videos I had seen before and it would find them most of the time. Regardless of if you found the video you were looking for or not I also remember getting search results that were a lot more relevant and in the vein of what I wanted to see. I would frequently get lost in a Wikipedia-esque rabbit hole of checking out related video after related video. Half the time what came up wasn't even popular, you could discover all kinds of things. Now it's all just shilling, either fire corporations or youtube stars.
It's always good to remember that the Youtube algorithm is so shitty now not because Youtube is incapable of better but because they're trying to put what they want you to watch in front of you, while still pretending it's what you asked to watch, instead of just showing you what you actually asked to watch.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Were all of those deleted? Because I went looking for some response videos I remember being interesting but couldn't find them.
The "Video Response" feature was deleted in the early 2010's, but a lot of the videos initially stayed up (unless the original uploader deleted them) before the big purges.

Honestly missed all those AMVS that were made in Sony Vegas and were actually nice to watch (with lyrics and everything). Now it's all instagram edits that are all just loops of pictures, which... suck.

I miss the 5 star rating and the funny parody music a la Toby Turner's LITERAL trailers and Key of Awesome. Video responses were so much fun too.

Also, really miss animations that aren't storytime videos. The stickmen fighting animations like in Hyun's DoJo, those animations where stickmen try to escape the computer screen or something. Animations nowadays are either storytime videos or student films, which, although nice to watch sometimes, oversaturate the market and make it all boring.

I just miss originality and creativity. Everything seems sterilized, following a common formula to cheat the algorithm. Everyone can have a couple hundred thousand to a million suscribers if they know how to work Youtube, and the site simply doesn't reward actually passionate and talented creators.

Gaming videos too. I really do wish there were more gamers like ManlyBadassHero or Chuggaaconroy.
This times a million.

AMV's were a great part of early YouTube, both the ones where the visuals synced up to the song and the lyrics or the typical "Naruto fight scene with a Linkin Park song dubbed over the audio" style AMV's.

Even the "Windows Movie Maker slideshow set to music" style videos were far more enjoyable than a lot of modern YouTube since it is peak classic YouTube amateur vibe in my opinion.

VidLii is essentially a retro-clone of early 2000's YouTube but like most tube sites outside of YouTube (and to a lesser extent, Bitchute and Twitch) it's a ghost town. Given all the nostalgia spergs and the fondness for the early days of YouTube, I'm surprised more people haven't migrated to it.

Reactions: FluffyTehFennekin

Ligoskj

Fuck off :)
kiwifarms.net
I miss this website being just less systemic and toxic. I would lie if I said that YouTube was unconditionally better in the past, in fact, it wasn't, uploading system was very limited, there was even a time when you couldn't upload the videos over 15 minutes, video bitrate compression was abysmal, because the YT player used a .flv format as the main one, the users were just as retarded as they are today, the only difference that there were less of them back then for obvious reasons. The content wasn't as diverse as it's today, finding a decent software related tutorial was like a hunt. With all that's been said, I do admit that the atmosphere of old YouTube was overall better. Old YouTube channels looked infinitely better than this modern bleak design we currently have, the monetization system was much simpler and no one could restrict it from you just because you have a different opinion or if you demonstrate sexually attractive women in your videos. I also miss the days when AMVs, Flash animations, YTPs bacame mainstream thanks to this website, even though, aside of YTP, all this stuff was pretty much available outside YouTube. I think it is not a big surprise to anyone why YT keeps getting worse and worse, it's just a fate to any website chosen to be a typical social media platform.

Last edited:

The Last Stand

I need more gin.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Shitposty MSpaint slideshows, skateboard videos, sweaty bodybuilders, backyard wrestling, shitty garage bands...
The quality of videos on there. The sub-720p camcorders used on there really showed that you were watching some person just film. Not some high budget reality show.

There was a lot more clips on there without worrying about copyright. Now you can't even have 5 seconds of a song playing without being slammed for copyright.

Schwaymang

Feels-O-Tron 5000
kiwifarms.net
When the only problem plaguing the site was how often it changed it's design. Also, the ye olden YTP.

casE sensiTive

kiwifarms.net
The feeling of genuineness. Everything feels so corporate and manufactured. Ads and sponsorships everywhere. All the begging for likes and subs (don't forget to ring the bell!). Censoring of every naughty word. Over played reactions and clickbait titles with those retarded faces on thumbnails. I can't even complain about it anymore because it's so ingrained in Youtube culture that everyone's doing it.

Get_your_kicks_with_30-06

I have become Based, the destroyer of Libs
kiwifarms.net
I miss searching "Halo 3 easter eggs and secrets", clicking a video, 360p, Windows movie maker title card, halo 3 gameplay, and then getting Rick Rolled.

Those were the days.

Dr.Pingas

I will be your doc for today
kiwifarms.net
Besides Youtube Poop I miss being able to add annotations to someones video.
There are some video archives that show how hilariously messy it could get.

Multiple others went over it already but Youtube videos used to be much more experimental and free, people just did it for shits and giggles.

• Agree
Reactions: FluffyTehFennekin

SojuDrnkr

Stays after last call.
kiwifarms.net
I miss being able to go down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole. But now those videos get pop'd real quick because god forbid if anyone watches them for the entertainment value. Anytime you want to look up something on flat earth or reptilians you get dozens of Buzzfeed Debunks or some MSM clip on how stupid or crazy these theories are. I'm like, " Yeah, I know, but they're interesting and fun to watch so shut the fuck up"

Tags
None