What do you think about modern smart phones? -

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I gotta agree with Louis Rossmann's take:

I made the mistake of going with a phone that doesn't have a head phone jack and regret it every time I want to use headphones or plug it into an aux in. But, on the other hand, it does have snap on battery packs (Motorola Z3 Play).

However, due to all the tracking and the points Louis makes, I'm seriously considering going back to just a phone, like a flip phone. Undecided and I still have a good couple of years before wear and tear starts taking it's toll on my current one.

U

UN 474

kiwifarms.net
I gotta agree with Louis Rossmann's take:

I made the mistake of going with a phone that doesn't have a head phone jack and regret it every time I want to use headphones or plug it into an aux in. But, on the other hand, it does have snap on battery packs (Motorola Z3 Play).

However, due to all the tracking and the points Louis makes, I'm seriously considering going back to just a phone, like a flip phone. Undecided and I still have a good couple of years before wear and tear starts taking it's toll on my current one.
I wish they'd brought back the Motorola Razr.

Medicated

Not the fun kind
kiwifarms.net
-Mobile app stores are wastelands of skinner box games so you're missing out on the worst, addictive-by-design pieces of shit you'll ever play

-The perpetual cycle of having to look at a little screen around 50 times a day because the world now expects you to be connected 24/7

-Touchscreen keyboards that'll take you a couple of years to get used to

-Pretty good cameras honestly
Oh well since I'm nearby a computer most of the time, it seems kind of redundant then, I'm not going to be uploading pics of myself with a soyboy expression holding a Nintendo controller or paying $500 to get the best shit in a mobile game. Although I laughed when someone at a store told me I could just use my phone to register for some thing. It's so weird to me how if you tell someone you don't have a phone they look at you like, "are you a serial killer or something?" it's like you are an alien to them.

Pargon

Engaging in cultural trench warfare
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a pixel 3 so I'd like to say hello to Alphabet and their Chinese overlords. Psst: buttsex and personal freedoms are really great and you should consider legalizing them.

I like the fact that with a little bit of adjustment I am write wherever I am. That plus Dropbox is useful for when inspiration hits and I'm on a shaky-as-fuck bus that's too unstable to scribble in a physical notebook on. Also being able to identify any song I hear whenever I want is like fucking magic that 15-year old me would've killed for. The future ain't all bad.

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
kiwifarms.net
Oh well since I'm nearby a computer most of the time, it seems kind of redundant then, I'm not going to be uploading pics of myself with a soyboy expression holding a Nintendo controller or paying $500 to get the best shit in a mobile game. Although I laughed when someone at a store told me I could just use my phone to register for some thing. It's so weird to me how if you tell someone you don't have a phone they look at you like, "are you a serial killer or something?" it's like you are an alien to them.
The only major utility of the smart phone for me is the ability to take photos/videos on the spot and have a calculator handy too (though I think many dumb phones have calculator function now too)

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
Question: do people still find it necessary to ‘root’ their devices? That’s a term I haven’t heard in years pertaining to phones.
I own a rooted phone. @Piss explained it.
But rooting older Androids is still useful if you want to squeeze a few more years out of an old one.
I bought an older phone for cheep and rooted it with a privacy focused android OS. I removed the bloatware and Google stuff, I have mostly FOSS apps on my phone, and I have a battery that lasts a little over 5 days with battery saver turned off.

J

JM 590

kiwifarms.net
Oh wow, you really don't use phones

Yeah, having a camera, note-taking thing, and youtube + podcast player all-in-one is nice. But since you're around computers all day, as am I, I can guarantee that you will be very frustrated by the oversimplified UI and the overall slowness there is to using a phone. Even when you get used to it, I'm sure you know all your keyboard shortcuts by muscle memory now, and you'll be driven up a wall when it comes time to copy and paste something. Seriously, I'd love to see your first experience copy/pasting on a smartphone, you'll be so frustrated by how cumbersome it can be, you might catch on fire.

Phones shine the best when used as cameras or media consumption devices. And even as a camcorder, action shots still appear a little weird, and optical zoom is... barely there. The solution everyone adopted is to just stick a second, permanently zoomed-in camera on the back of the phone, so if you want 2x optical zoom, you can just abruptly switch cameras. No smooth zooming. And no phones come with like, magnetic optical lenses you can carry or anything. There are janky third-party ones you can buy, but they're overall kinda bunk. But with all that being said, smartphone cameras are very very good now, and mine takes photos that are around 5mb a pop when at full quality. And about 500mb/minute for 4K video.

Mobile gaming is... bizarre. You'd think it'd be great. A nice big touchscreen you can put in your pocket, how could that be bad for games? Well, you can't feel the buttons physically, so you'll slip off of them and misfire a lot. Any times where you'd want to press A while holding B (like running and jumping in Mario) is all but out, since your thumb is always making a bit of touch contact on A on a normal controller anyway, making it hard and uncomfortable to do. Mouse-friendly games can sort of work, unless the UI elements are too small for you to accurately press with your fingers. Forget about styluses, too, those aluminum ones with rubber tips are trash. Mobile games also have a serious problem with how they can just stop working abruptly when the OS updates, so even if you bought and paid for a game, you're at the mercy of the publisher as to whether or not the game will ever get an update. Or they could just get pulled, out of the blue, with no recourse. Did you buy Bioshock? Shadowrun Returns? Duke Nukem 3D? All three of those are long gone, and if you paid for them, sucks to be you! And even if you can get ahold of their data and sideload them, chances are, they won't work on the current version of iOS/Android. I could go on for hours, but mobile gaming started off promising and ended up a complete trashfire. There are a smattering of worthwhile mobile games, like Angry Birds and Pokemon Go, but they're very few and far between. Ever notice that, despite the ubiquity of mobile devices, there are so few noteworthy games to come from their sector? Yep, it's shovelware hell.

All in all, phones are remarkably good computers, held back by just so much anti-consumer bullshit. Automatic updates that slow you down and can't be disabled, leading you to go out of your way to delete the update data every time it sneaks in. Batteries that need a professional technician to replace them. Screens that cost hundreds of dollars to replace when cracked, on phones without bezels, making it very very very easy to crack when dropped. Backwards compatibility is nearly nonexistent, and apps from just a few years ago might just stop working abruptly. Heavy pushing towards having you store files in the cloud, with many phones not even supporting MicroSD cards. Bad UIs. So many random things needing their own app instead of a perfectly good HTML5 website. Requiring an adapter just to use your headphones.

You're probably happier overall for not having one, if anything because you don't have that perpetual feeling of being on-call 24/7, able to be contacted by whomever at any point. You're also missing out on the robocalling epidemic, where everyone's getting spam calls several times a day from random numbers, with no end in sight.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I have an older Sony Xperia that was a present from my cousin but I only use it for phone calls and keep it turned off inside a metal pencil case the rest of the time.

I'd still use my old Samsung flip phone if Bell Canada hadn't turned off the network it uses.

Phones shine the best when used as cameras or media consumption devices. And even as a camcorder, action shots still appear a little weird, and optical zoom is... barely there. The solution everyone adopted is to just stick a second, permanently zoomed-in camera on the back of the phone, so if you want 2x optical zoom, you can just abruptly switch cameras. No smooth zooming. And no phones come with like, magnetic optical lenses you can carry or anything. There are janky third-party ones you can buy, but they're overall kinda bunk. But with all that being said, smartphone cameras are very very good now, and mine takes photos that are around 5mb a pop when at full quality. And about 500mb/minute for 4K video.
I still far prefer pocket cameras not just for the optical zoom but also for having physical controls instead of touchscreens. I mainly use Canons from around a decade ago, the sweet spot when they didn't cram more megapixels than the small sensor can actually detect. (Pocket cameras that claim 20MP basically take pictures with at most 8MP worth of detail and a lot of noise.) I also have a mirrorless and a rather elderly DLSR camera plus a couple of film SLRs for event photography but they don't fit in my pocket.

Last edited:
Reactions: JM 590

IBrokeBob

kiwifarms.net
I havent had a phone in over a year. I hate them. They are too expensive and too fragile. I can afford a new one but why piss away good money on something that is fragile and becomes unusable after a few years. I never answered it anyway, so why have it? I hate people calling me to chat and gossip cuz i dont give a shit about that kinda crap.

My bf has a phone if i needed it for an emergency or i can use my sons. Bf can call me thru my tablet if needed. I use his phone once a month to call in my med refills and thats it. I lie and tell everyone else my tablet doesnt do calls.

Yes, other people do need them for work and life. I do not. I stay home 24/7 and like being home.

Blini Cat

the lichen touches you.
kiwifarms.net
Still using a dumbphone here.

I actually have an old android device someone gave me for free, but I mostly use it to post my art on instagram and play games. For me personally it would be too much of a distraction to use on a daily basis and I just don't see much appeal after trying it out. I have an mp3 player and a garmin so I get along fine day-to-day.

WhoBusTank69

kiwifarms.net
I wanted a PDA when I was a kid because they were all the rage, according to movies and cartoons. Now that I have a smartphone that fits in my pocket with internet access from almost anywhere I can't be fucked to use it for anything but mumbling into and occasionally using Google Maps because someone missed a turn.
That and I know a guy whose phone battery swelled up and leaked a bit. He insists on keeping it around because *maybe* it will start working - and then he waved that ticking timebomb in front of my face when it did. I don't care how crap phones are, they're still smarter than half the people using them.

U

UF 404

kiwifarms.net
I'd rather just use my computer for anything other than calling or texting. Though I have found Google Maps useful.

Positron

Wild Blue Candor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also fuck you valve for forcing mobile authenticators for nearly everything on steam.
I hate that today everything requires you to give them your mobile number, from registration of web forums to buying concert tickets.
Look pal I let you take my money, but I don't know why I have to give you my dox with it.

And that pay-thru-phone thing is a security time bomb that's going to explode big time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino