What do you think about modern smart phones? -

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
Had a shitty Motorola flip phone for 5 years. Can't keep a smartphone for more than two.
They were way more durable, no shit. I had an LG flip for years, then while everyone was moving on to the first generations of smartphones I had a slider for about 3 years. Finally buckled and bought a Samsung Gravity T599 on the cheap, which lasted less than 2 years before it started eating batteries like mad. From there to the Moto G4 Play, and so far it's behaving.

EDIT: Galaxy Exhibit, not Gravity. Gravity was the slider.

Last edited:

Clop

kiwifarms.net
If I could punch humanity back to the cellphone, I would. Smartphones serve a gluttony of having all your eggs in one basket for a massive cost and high turnover. At this very moment my Chinese surveillance machine is a piece of shit that slides on any one-degree angle and onto floors while my 15-year-old clam Samsung still works fine with the color flaking off of its surface from all the times it has been hitting floors and walls and annoying shits' faces.

Smartphones could be made durable, could be made for long-term use, but that sells less cells. It is a borderline fraud that's completely legal. Apple already got slightly called out for it with the whole "you have to actually let your customers fix their own phones you fucking lunatics."

Despite their massive combined convenience, smartphones are meant for treating every single person like a walking wallet, and don't you fucking ever forget it.

Not an_ime g_irl

kiwifarms.net
I just completely sold all my privacy for a Xiaomy Redmi3S and it's honestly a great phone, a lot of storage, durable and fast at a reasonable price.
I only use my phone to keep in contact with people, take quick notes and listen to music these days.

smartphone cameras are very very good now
Just get a real camera, not only you got a bigger sensor but a wider range of options to work with.
The phone camera is nice but there are much, much better options out there.

• Informative
Reactions: Piss and Recon

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The removal of the headphone jack really troubles me. It's paving the way for far more intrusive digital Rights Management. The system itself has to okay whatever it's sending through Bluetooth to the headphones. In effect, your player could be crippled to only play songs marked as valid by the iTunes store.
I wish they emitted more radiation. I hate using condoms and I’m too squeamish to get the old snip-snip, so a low sperm count would really do the trick.
You can take incredibly hot sitz baths if you wish to lower your sperm count greatly for periods of up to six months at a time. I wouldn't recommend it but there's apparently been some success with the technique.

Marco Fucko

Just tell me that you want me!
kiwifarms.net
Tbh I'm just rocking a drug dealer special. Takes calls, makes texts, holds my MP3s. They tend to last me right around a year until I need to get a new one, so $50-$100 a year for something I wouldn't own if I didn't have to engage with society is a pretty good deal. (I'm not a drug dealer)

Reactions: Piss

Ghost of Wesley Willis

Whooping Batman's Ass in Heaven
kiwifarms.net
I hate that today everything requires you to give them your mobile number, from registration of web forums to buying concert tickets.
Look pal I let you take my money, but I don't know why I have to give you my dox with it.

And that pay-thru-phone thing is a security time bomb that's going to explode big time.
Tell me about it. They keep giving the excuse of better security, even though I remember reading something that 2FA isn't all as secure as people say it is.

Besides with steam, it fucking killed trading and buying selling shit on the market. All thanks to a bunch of Russians and idiotic 12 year olds who can't put two and two together that said Russian is offering them a knife or unusual for their entire TF2 or CSGO inventory when they'll swindle them out for a lower value item last second. Makes me really wish I can delete all the useless shit in my inventory without having to reinstall or launch the damn game or go to Steam support.

Bad Headspace

kiwifarms.net
They are okay. I wish there were other companies that Google and Apple. But man I wish they would have physical keyboards again.

On one hand people simply can't adapt to them, they pretty much ruin the internet when it comes to content and web design. Also I hate that they are required registration and are stealing all my info. Also they are so full of bloat and software I will never use. Also their overal design is horribly boring. Sure it is the most efficient but we only have these brickphones that are too big for my pocket all over again. Who let 80s gang designing cell phones again?

On the other hand the good camera is always a nice addition and if we think about it these things are stupid powerful. Also making phone calls is neat-o.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

too many youtube makeup videos
kiwifarms.net
I like smartphones. GPS/Maps, music, camera, alarms, browser and Google Translate+camera is pretty good. Other things have gotten better, texting history is easy to follow. Getting an MMS is no longer a cruel prank and WAP was complete shit and I won't mourn its demise.

On the bad side is the pricing, it's gotten insane and the upgrade cycle as well. What's the point of upgrading to the latest iPhone or Galaxy from a functionality perspective?
The size is too big now, I want to be able to reach any point on the screen with the thumb on the hand holding the phone and I would like to type that way as well, on previous iPhone's/Android's that was easy. This wouldn't be that big of a problem on new (big) phones if it weren't for the edge-to-edge touch screens. It's getting tricky to hold them without clicking somewhere by accident.

The only major utility of the smart phone for me is the ability to take photos/videos on the spot and have a calculator handy too (though I think many dumb phones have calculator function now too)
Many years ago I stood on a subway platform in the evening, looking at the sunlight on the buildings, holding this phone.
phone.jpg

I took a picture of it because it looked nice. Then I looked at the 640x480 picture on the 256 color screen with a 101x80 resolution and it looked like ass. It would look better if I got the picture onto a computer but that requires an adapter of some kind and then special software... If everything wasn't so bad from top to bottom, if a phone camera and screen was good enough to take a picture and view the picture and getting the pictures from the phone was easy enough then everything would change, everyone would always have a camera with them. It would be wonderful.

2019: Fucking selfies...

Tell me about it. They keep giving the excuse of better security, even though I remember reading something that 2FA isn't all as secure as people say it is.
If the 2FA involves getting a text message then the security can be described as "lol".

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
If the Nazis had been able to make little electronic gizmos that track you and make you work all the time they'd probably have made the Jews carry them.

Piss

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If the 2FA involves getting a text message then the security can be described as "lol".
Yup. Back when Bitcoin was hitting crazy prices, people were cracking accounts with places like Coinbase and Gemini left and right by just finding out your number and a bit of info about you, calling up your carrier, and getting your number transferred to a new throwaway SIM. I think carriers have caught on a bit better, but SIM hijacking is a serious problem.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
All of his videos are like that, and show off just how smartphones are all just about the same today. They're all way too thin, extremely fragile, have a boring design and look almost identical. The defining features these days are if and how the screen has a notch cut out of it, and how many various cameras there are on the back. That's about it.
Modern smartphone design all seems to be built around first impressions to get tech journalists to give it glowing reviews.
Shiny aluminium cases, extreme thinness, etc. is all shit you forget about when you carry it around for a month even when you don't hide it with a bulky protector so it can survive a drop.
But for a reviewer it matters because they're not going to use the phone for more than a week.

It is completely exceptional to encase a fragile piece of glass in thin aluminium that can't absorb any shock at all. Fuck your stupid "premium feel" - give me plastic cases again.

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
Modern smartphone design all seems to be built around first impressions to get tech journalists to give it glowing reviews.
Shiny aluminium cases, extreme thinness, etc. is all shit you forget about when you carry it around for a month even when you don't hide it with a bulky protector so it can survive a drop.
But for a reviewer it matters because they're not going to use the phone for more than a week.

It is completely exceptional to encase a fragile piece of glass in thin aluminium that can't absorb any shock at all. Fuck your stupid "premium feel" - give me plastic cases again.
Tech reviewers at sites like The Verge all have iPhones. So if Samsung or Microsoft send them a device they'll use it for a week or so and repeat whatever shit is the hot PR girl told them and then go back to using their iPhone again. Hell the hot PR girl probably uses an iPhone outside work too.

So the more it looks like an iPhone, the better. Of course people that bought Android phones because they want Android features like removable batteries are likely to be less keen on this.

I remember when Windows Phone came out all these sites run articles on the 'buttery smooth UI' and how it wasn't ugly like Windows Mobile. Of course people bought Windows Mobile devices not because of the nice UI - it always looked like Windows 3.1 - but because they had a couple of apps that run on it. Windows Phone didn't support Windows Mobile applications at all and in fact required you rewrite all your C++ code in C# and not use any native code libraries.

So it was actually easier to get a Windows Mobile app to run on Android or iOS than it was to get it to run on Windows Phone. So all the articles came out about how Windows Phone was a great from people who'd only ever used an iPhone. Microsoft's PR department patted themselves on the back.

I remember someone pointing to the 'buttery smooth UI' phrase which appeared in all the articles, clearly from Microsoft's PR team which all the hack journos had copy pasted into their articles.

Now at some point Microsoft did add support for native code, at which point you could use those third party libraries, but by that point everyone had worked out that Windows Mobile was never going to be a viable platform compared to iOS/Android and didn't bother to support it. Windows Phone died and Microsoft left the mobile OS business to Google and Apple.

Anonymous For This

Flying pierogis at vienna.
kiwifarms.net
Last "great" phone I had was a Nokia Windows Phone. Thought the UI was great, had good battery life, and survived some really stupid drops on concrete.

I don't feel like a lot of things are built as well as they used to be, which sounds like a complaint with every generation, but if people buy a car or phone every two years, why would you care about reliability after that point? Those people won't be return customers anyway, so screw 'em.

Know someone who just bought a brand new Honda Civic and it's a piece of shit. Traded in a 2007 Accord that ran like a dime. Hearing the same from mechanics who work on cars at the same time. Ten years ago I would have called you an idiot for believing in planned obsolescence, but now? Eeeeeehhhhhh. We live in a throwaway culture more than ever now and we gotta have new phones, new tablets, new cars, every five minutes to give us our dopamine highs. I'm the same way with computer hardware, so I don't have much room to talk, I guess.

I drive a square-body Suburban. My fuel economy is shit, but holy fuck I've never owned a more reliable or easier to work on vehicle. Bought it years ago. Fixed the maintenance issues from the prior owner and has been golden sense.

Fuck modern GM, tho.

Last edited:

Damocles_Sword

Shovelmech Pilot
kiwifarms.net
Id love to go back to a flip phone, but my phone, a PixelXL was provided by my employer, and there are times when i've had to download user manuals in the field. I also use it for audible while exercising.

Raging Capybara

kiwifarms.net
They're all horrible.

I always buy the cheapest ones because I'm not an idiot to spend tons of money on something that will break in months. Especially these luxury apple phones, they have amazing cameras but a semi-professional Nikon has optical zoom and is slightly cheap so fuck apple.

Right now I'm using a Xiaomi and I'm pretty happy with the fact that dear lord Xi Jinping is spying me every second because he cares so much about me and my safety. The phone sucks? I don't know, so far it's working perfectly (shitty camera, but every android has shitty cameras so I don't care), but even if it explodes I'm not going to lose too much.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino