What do you think about piracy? - I'd see no problem with it depending on the source.

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Haramburger

Forum Staff
⚡ Thunderdomer ⚡
kiwifarms.net
I don't 100% agree with this video but Gaiman said some interesting things.

I mean , the first weeks are vital for a product(bad sales may kill it) but how many games or film have we watched/played because a friend lent it to you.That also hurt the sales if we think about it.
In the end , I don't care, I will buy what I think is interesting and ignore what's not.
Similarly, GabeN has a great take on it:
Piracy is always going to happen, so don't waste your energy & money on trying to stop it. Instead, if your product is good enough, if you strive to make it the best possible product you can, the customer will gladly do business with you. Any piracy that happens is people trying your game who might still buy it, or bad service in not making the product available to your customer in a good customer experience.

Q

QI 541

kiwifarms.net
So does watching someone play Telltale games on youtube count as piracy or not? Watching a movie on the internet usually does but I'm not too sure about video games that try to be movies.

Gravityqueen4life

MEOW!
kiwifarms.net
So does watching someone play Telltale games on youtube count as piracy or not? Watching a movie on the internet usually does but I'm not too sure about video games that try to be movies.
its funny you say that since thats how i dealt with every David cage "game" just watching it on youtube. there was also a game called asuras wrath thats 50% cutscenes, 40% quick time events and 10% gameplay and the gameplay sections were awful.

WhoBusTank69

an endless thirst
kiwifarms.net
I will say, though, with how software is going these days there is no excuse not to pirate it.
Look at all the separate licensing issues these shitty companies tack onto their service that not only lead to an increase in price but versions that will have licensing agreements that eventually expire and become illegal to own anyway. Autodesk, for example, purges old versions of their programs every so often when the new versions don't support specific older file formats. Don't even get started on how Microsoft and hardware companies want to require Windows 10 for new shit.

P

PL 001

kiwifarms.net
I used to pirate all the time. Mostly because I was a cheapskate who wanted to spend my money elsewhere. I still have about 6tb of movies, shows, music and books because why bother deleting them after I've already downloaded them.

I don't pirate very much anymore, only on the occasion where something I want hasn't been given a physical release, or is incredibly rare to track down. I'm fairly neutral on piracy. I do view it as a method of stealing, but I also don't see an issue with it if what you're pirating is pretty much the only way you'll be able to enjoy the content.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As Gabe Newell has said, it's an issue of service, not price.

Some games I have to pirate because they're out of print and even if I pay $200 for a physical release, that money is going straight to the middle man than the people who made it. And if I ended up really liking the product, I will actually go and buy it.

Anybody who unironically compares it to robbery is a brainlet.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I grew up thinking that it was bad. But because industries in media don’t really care about preserving titles that aren’t big name successes, I find it necessary to experience said things.

Also, as I grown older I’ve become a lot more money conscious.

Iris Hunter

Eternal Retart
kiwifarms.net
It's okay in my book.
I live in a country suffering economically because of an incompetent president giving roles to his incompetent supporters. I don't see my country survive the 2020's.
I watch movies/cartoons illegally always, If I can support them in another, more direct way(For example, STUDIO TRIGGER(Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia...) has a Patreon) I will.
Steam's regional pricing is a godsend, so I 90% time don't even pirate for games, I thank Gaben for that one.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Depends what you do with it. If you're using it for yourself then fine, pirate away. Unless it's out of print or it's something no one, not even the original copyright holder(s) care about, then just leave it at that- personal use. Streaming sites are another issue, but one I'm honestly going to say I don't give two shit about. Go nuts there for all I care, that's what I do.

Then again, I always delete video files and Canada's laws regarding this sort of thing are different than other countries.

Faket0Fake

Handsome prince
kiwifarms.net
I don't think any measures will stop piracy so they should spend the money on making better products. If people want to pirate it then they will and when you look into it a lot of people will end up buying things they like anyway. Piracy also introduces a lot of people to things they wouldn't even know about without it so it's driving up sales for people who would be struggling to get noticed among huge companies with marketing divisions. A lot of bands I ended up liking I discovered through Napster and other platforms because I was more willing to take a chance on things. If you bought a CD back then you'd be spending $20 on something that might suck.

Anime fansubs also helped publishers in a lot of ways because they could see what was popular and which titles to buy the rights to. Many famous titles started out popular among fansub circles. Streaming isn't a huge deal either because it allows for titles to be seen by a potential audience for a nice boxed set. Subscription websites pay fuck all for the rights to simulcast and make tons of money from people who want the service. Anime is so cheap to buy the rights to except in very few cases that companies are only gaining money from the interest pirate streaming websites generate. I don't lose any sleep over that stuff.

Alex Poulos

Not the Celtic Rebel
kiwifarms.net
Once I thought that piracy is a bad thing because those poor artists wouldn't get the reward they deserve. What a load of bullshit that is. Having observed the BS that's going on, I've come to the conclusion that we have a moral obligation to rip the guts out of the beast that is the entertainment industry. The world would be a better place without copyright shenanigans. It's also an effective incentive for content creators to spend their time more usefully. So go over and pirate as much as you can. I want to see the whole thing getting teared apart and shredded into pieces. If you like an artist's work it's fair and reasonable to directly donate money, though.

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Once I thought that piracy is a bad thing because those poor artists wouldn't get the reward they deserve. What a load of bullshit that is. Having observed the BS that's going on, I've come to the conclusion that we have a moral obligation to rip the guts out of the beast that is the entertainment industry. The world would be a better place without copyright shenanigans. It's also an effective incentive for content creators to spend their time more usefully. So go over and pirate as much as you can. I want to see the whole thing getting teared apart and shredded into pieces. If you like an artist's work it's fair and reasonable to directly donate money, though.
The creators don't get much. For every book that's sold, the author gets like 10% or so.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The only games I have ever pirated have been from companies that are long dead.

I have never purchased anime. The sites (Crunchyroll, Funimation) are shit and their subtitles and dubs are half assed. Anime was on sale on Steam for 6 dollars an episode.

I'd probably buy anime if they weren't so retarded.

Aside from anime, most of the stuff I pirate is book related. The academic publishing industry is degenerate and there needs to be reform. I actually do this as a matter of principle.