What do you think this generation's "timeless classics" will be? -

Marco Fucko

Read Terra Formars 😁
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Music of this generation being remembered as classic?

The alternative rock/emo/pop punk scene had enough spotlight throughout the 00s that SOMETHING from that cluster is sure to live on.
Rage Against the Machine, hopefully.
Kanye's Graduation - Fantasy works, probably.
Donald Glover is prolific enough to be remembered for at least something he's done, and future generations will probably find his music through that if not the music itself.

I liked Eminem as a kid but I hope he fades away. He had some some really good stuff but after he dropped the Slim Shady persona it all just went downhill.

KillThemCrackasBabies

kiwifarms.net
Linkin Park will probably be remembered warmly despite their critical reception when they were active, if only for those first two albums everyone had as kids. But even now, with the singer dead, you see less and less people referring to them as shitty like they used to. I think a decade from now they'll probably be viewed on the same level as like The Cure or something; admittedly corny but with something people legitimately enjoyed.

Dysnomia

Party like it's COVID-1999
kiwifarms.net
I don't think much of the autotune dance garbage and dime a dozen pop songs of the past few years will be considered timeless classics. I don't even know what's what. With autotune I can't tell who the hell is singing as they all sound the same.

I was in Walmart and "Sweet Home Alabama" came on. And I thought to myself "that's a timeless song". And I've heard it referred to such before. Will it still be timeless in 50 years? Who knows. But I think as long as there are rednecks in Alabama it will be. But that's my parents generation. Classic rock (as in 60s and 70s) is a time capsule of a specific era. And like it or not so is the garbage pop that kids listen to today.

My generation was metal and grunge. I wish I had been born a little sooner to enjoy more hair metal.

And sometimes I listen to a song and think "Why isn't that a classic?". But maybe it's just my taste. Take "Sad Theresa" by Warrant. I think it's one of their best songs. But because it was on the album eaten by grunge, which is also their best album, Dog Eat Dog, it's virtually unknown and they'll always be the "Cherry Pie" band.*sigh*

I will admit I know little about the music of today because it seems the guitar hero era is over so I'm not interested in pop divas and such. I tried listening to Imagine Dragons and I was annoyed.

gachacunt

dudes with lizard heads, chicks with fat tats!
kiwifarms.net
Caramell Dansen I guess, even though the original's much less obnoxious.

Syaoran Li

Subscribes to Soldier Of Fortune
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest, I don't really listen to the music that's popular with my fellow Millennials and never really have. I've always been that guy who listens to classic rock and oldies despite not being from that generation.

But I will take a shot in the dark anyway and make a few predictions.

I could easily see some of the more "meme" type of popular songs being treasured in a manner similar to the pop one-hit wonders and novelty genres of the 60's and 70's (like how nobody remembers bubblegum pop as a genre, but everyone remembers the song "Sugar Sugar")

Examples of this would be songs like "Gangnam Style", "Call Me Maybe", "Tik Tok", stuff like that. Hell, I could even see widely hated meme songs like "What Does The Fox Say?" and "Friday" becoming part of the oldies stations' lineups when 2000's and 2010's music becomes old enough to be considered "classic", similar to how novelty songs like "Disco Duck" and "Surfin' Bird" are to oldies stations nowadays.

Lady Gaga will probably be remembered, especially for her earlier stuff like "Bad Romance", "Poker Face", "Born This Way", etc. In a lot of ways, Lady Gaga is to Millennials what Cher is to the Boomers or Madonna is to Generation X. Considering she liberally borrowed from both of their playbooks, I would not be surprised if she is remembered in a similar fashion as them (at least musically)

The edgelord mall rock acts of the 2000's like Linkin Park, Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, and the like are cringe-inducing now, but once the 2000's becomes a target for nostalgia, they will probably remembered fondly in a similar manner as a lot of the Goth bands from the 1980's and 1990's are today. The Cure and The Sisters of Mercy were ripe targets for snark back in the 90's, but are now fondly remembered by Gen X'ers looking back on their Goth years. I could see a similar thing with Linkin Park and the like, and as much as I hate to say this, I could easily see Amy Lee being compared to Siouxsie in retrospect by a lot of music and pop culture critics twenty or thirty years from now.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest, I don't really listen to the music that's popular with my fellow Millennials and never really have. I've always been that guy who listens to classic rock and oldies despite not being from that generation.
I was that person too! AM radio was my thing in the late 80's/early 90's! Comes from having early Boomer parents that were into 50's and 60's stuff. At least you could say that was real music before the real electronics came in. You really had to be that talented to get into the big time.

I could easily see some of the more "meme" type of popular songs being treasured in a manner similar to the pop one-hit wonders and novelty genres of the 60's and 70's (like how nobody remembers bubblegum pop as a genre, but everyone remembers the song "Sugar Sugar")

Examples of this would be songs like "Gangnam Style", "Call Me Maybe", "Tik Tok", stuff like that. Hell, I could even see widely hated meme songs like "What Does The Fox Say?" and "Friday" becoming part of the oldies stations' lineups when 2000's and 2010's music becomes old enough to be considered "classic", similar to how novelty songs like "Disco Duck" and "Surfin' Bird" are to oldies stations nowadays.
I'm not waiting for that, but know it'll happen anyway.

Lady Gaga will probably be remembered, especially for her earlier stuff like "Bad Romance", "Poker Face", "Born This Way", etc. In a lot of ways, Lady Gaga is to Millennials what Cher is to the Boomers or Madonna is to Generation X. Considering she liberally borrowed from both of their playbooks, I would not be surprised if she is remembered in a similar fashion as them (at least musically)

The edgelord mall rock acts of the 2000's like Linkin Park, Evanescence, My Chemical Romance, and the like are cringe-inducing now, but once the 2000's becomes a target for nostalgia, they will probably remembered fondly in a similar manner as a lot of the Goth bands from the 1980's and 1990's are today. The Cure and The Sisters of Mercy were ripe targets for snark back in the 90's, but are now fondly remembered by Gen X'ers looking back on their Goth years. I could see a similar thing with Linkin Park and the like, and as much as I hate to say this, I could easily see Amy Lee being compared to Siouxsie in retrospect by a lot of music and pop culture critics twenty or thirty years from now.
I bet that too. Again, I'm not going to like any of that anyway but know people will end up in that nostalgic bite anyway.

frozenrunner

Please do not hoard limited salt supplies.
kiwifarms.net
I mentioned her in another thread, but when it comes to modern pop music, I think Lana del Rey will be fondly remembered and played for a while. Partially because she's affected a timeless, "classy" image and done it well.

TheProdigalStunna

Fucking destruction
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not even my opinion, these are just the facts.

Albums:
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
To Pimp a Butterfly
Beyonce 2013
Exmilitary/The Money Store (for "underground" music)
Flower Boy

"Meme" Songs:
Crank Dat Soulja Boy (kind of last decade, but really the forerunner for using the Internet as the primary means of a music phenomenon)
Most early Lady Gaga songs
Gangnam Style
Call Me Maybe
Despacito
Gucci Gang

Movies:
MCU (obviously)
Get Out (emblematic of current horror renaissance, plus woke points)
Can't think of much else here, tbh. Movies are definitely having less of an impact on the culture, I really can't see the industry remaining for much longer. History will not look upon Nu-Wars kindly.

Vidya:
Skyrim
Fortnite
Undertale
MOBA's in general
Red Dead Redemption
Super Smash Bros. Melee (resurgence as a competitive game)

TV Shows:
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Black Mirror
Adventure Time (like it or not, it is inarguably the most stylistically influential cartoon over the last 10 years)

Come back in 20 years and you'll see I'm right.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Your city lies in dust, my friend
kiwifarms.net

I hope not, Siouxsie is way on another level. And Siouxsie was actually subversive at the time anyway. Evanescence is just teen girl-with-fishnet rock. Comparing Evanescence to The Banshees is gross.

Let's face it, music started sucking in the 90s. Only thing contemporary I'm following is "Amigo the Devil" which I actually like quite a bit. None of it these days really sounds authentic and it sounds so formulaic and derivative. I really wish the spirit of the "New Wave" and "Post-Punk" eras came back because our society is in a drought of creativity in almost everything except video games. Classic Rock (especially The Kinks and the Who) still sounds fresh compared to modern rock.

Where are bands or artists like The Residents, Foetus, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Siouxsie and the Banshees? Why does nobody do rock operas/concept albums anymore that aren't faggy indie rockers like The Dear Hunter? Why doesn't anyone sing like Nina Hagen, Klaus Nomi, Lene Lovich, or Kate Bush, or even have a unique singing style? Why does The Who in old age rock harder than modern "rock"? Why aren't lyrics as well done as Ray Davies' for The Kinks? Why are the real people experimenting still all the old guard that started off in the 80s? Why does everything sound like it's either emo or for dance clubs? Why is everything shit?

Tags
None