What Fortnite's Dance Emotes May Owe To The Black Artists Who Created Them - cultural appropriation

should children be executed for being cultural appropriating swine

• Yes

Votes: 44 43.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I will floss in hell

Votes: 49 48.0%

• Total voters

Douglas Reynholm

kiwifarms.net
chancethewapper.PNG

As if we didn't already know most rappers are thick. They didn't monetise them because they couldn't. Unless you patent some device like MJ anti-grav shoes you ain't getting shit. Fortnite ripped a gamed mode ffs, so why this fool thinks whining will achieve results is anyones guess.

TowinKarz

Eastbound and Run Down
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The same reason why the UN human rights council keeps trying to come up with a way to trademark culture and force the first world to pay the poor appropriation royalties.... it's a cash grab that depends on other people not questioning if it's even legal and just knee-jerking with white guilt because those who are stepping up to "volunteer" overseeing the distribution of all that wealth don't look very poor to me.

This is PETA suing a person on behalf of a gorilla levels of stupid. And they THINK we'll fall for it.

Diesel Boogaloo

kiwifarms.net
I just checked what's the copyright status of this and I found this:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliver...are-yoga-poses-and-dance-moves-copyrightable/
Forbes said:
Applying these principles, the Copyright Office determines that yoga poses, exercise routines and social dance moves do not fall within the congressionally-established categories of authorship. Consequently, the selection, coordination or arrangement of yoga poses, exercise routines or social dance moves would not constitute a compilation that is protectable under copyright law. With respect to dance, it is true that category number four explicitly includes “choreographic works.” However, Congress has decided that such category does not include “social dance steps or simple routines.” According to the Copyright Office, to be protected by copyright, a choreographic work must be a “composition and arrangement of a related series of dance movements and patterns organized into an integrated, coherent, and expressive whole” and “simple dance routines do not represent enough original choreographic authorship to be copyrightable.”
http://ericnortonlaw.com/can-i-trademark-it/trademark-a-dance-move/
The Law Office of Eric Norton said:
Dance moves themselves are not trademarkable because they are not used to identify where goods or services originate, unlike a logo, slogan, or brand name. But what about when people say that you have a “trademark” dance move? Well, that just means that a person does a certain type of move, like a touchdown victory celebration, that you identify with that person. Unfortunately, it doesn’t mean they can actually register it with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
However, a dance move can be trademarked in that the name of that dance move can be trademarked. Take a look at Tebowing or Kaepernicking. Two registered trademarks for celebratory touchdown poses that are now trademarked for various types of clothes and apparel. As you can see, the players came up with the move, used the move, became known for using the move, and the name developed from there. They then trademarked the name. So, in certain situations, it is possible to trademark a dance move, but just the name of it and not the move itself.
TL;DR: Epic Games could have legally done that and everyone else can just fuck off.

Keine

The cooler ancient evil.
kiwifarms.net
I just checked what's the copyright status of this and I found this:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oliver...are-yoga-poses-and-dance-moves-copyrightable/

http://ericnortonlaw.com/can-i-trademark-it/trademark-a-dance-move/

TL;DR: Epic Games could have legally done that and everyone else can just fuck off.

So something like an entire routine from a music video could be copyrighted but not just a couple moves, and therefore these rappers can go pound sand.

Great. Keep on flossing, Zoomers.

Tanti-Fanti

kiwifarms.net
Jesus Christ. When are people going to learn that cultures don't own memes. Dances being copyrighted is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. How do you even pay back to "black culture"? Which one? How? You see how stupid that sounds?

This is the same thing as the whole "digital blackface" bullshit. Absolute nonsense.

frozenrunner

Bracing himself for an even worse 2022
kiwifarms.net
Jesus Christ. When are people going to learn that cultures don't own memes. Dances being copyrighted is one of the most asinine things I've ever heard. How do you even pay back to "black culture"? Which one? How? You see how stupid that sounds?

This is the same thing as the whole "digital blackface" bullshit. Absolute nonsense.

If there were more black brain surgeons and CEOs, the concept of "cultural appropriation" wouldn't even exist.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
Snoop embraces the memes, that’s how he’s stayed relevant all these years. It’s a running joke that if Snoop reps your team then you’re in consideration for one of the “hot teams” that season.

Snoop Dogg sightings used to be a game. Guarantee you Snoop is getting a laugh over being in Fortnite but his handler is telling him to keep quiet in case they need to sue someone.

Edit: also, fuck this author for shitting on Goodman and Whiteman. You don’t know shit about shit, you philistine, read a book on music theory. I’ll give you Elvis, but those two? Fuck off.

Last edited:

araiguma

real girl
kiwifarms.net
I think it's silly to say fortnite shouldn't use these dances, but I don't think they should have renamed them as if they made them up. Of course that's just my opinion
In general as generations discover things from the past ones, they can be mistaken to be from a game,TV show or whatever, that's just how it goes for better or worse

Boss Bass

kiwifarms.net
"Gib money plz"
Someone should drive by 90% of the black rap community, they still want their gibs even though most of them are ritch

Let me know the point at which I can start stealing your work without compensation. Is it a 50K raise? 100K? I mean, there’s clearly a tipping point based on this post.

This is just one of those things where the actual event is pants shittingly retarded, even though the law behind it is not.

Edit: just read the actual lawsfrom more knowledgeable kiwis. The only thing that is pants shittingly retarded is me.

Orkeosaurus

kiwifarms.net
>Chance the Rapper made this point in a brief series of tweets proposing that Epic Games, the makers of Fortnite, should include music alongside the emotes rather than just silent dance animations. “Fortnite should put the actual rap songs behind the dances that make so much money as Emotes"

Yeah great idea, let's put "bix nood mufugga kill a cop" lyrics in a game played by 4 year olds.

DragoonSierra

kiwifarms.net
Snoop embraces the memes, that’s how he’s stayed relevant all these years. It’s a running joke that if Snoop reps your team then you’re in consideration for one of the “hot teams” that season.

Snoop Dogg sightings used to be a game. Guarantee you Snoop is getting a laugh over being in Fortnite but his handler is telling him to keep quiet in case they need to sue someone.

Edit: also, fuck this author for shitting on Goodman and Whiteman. You don’t know shit about shit, you philistine, read a book on music theory. I’ll give you Elvis, but those two? Fuck off.
arguably Elvis put his foot in the door and popularized the genre. As a result more black musicians got airtime and became successful.

Judicial

kiwifarms.net
Part of me is pissed that niggers are too stupid to know you can't copyright a FUCKING DANCE.

On the other hand, fuck fork-knife. Anything that hurts that game is good to me.