What game did you finish today? -

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Nier: Automata is overrated as fuck and I hate the Japanese.

Jim Sterling gave this game a perfect score, called it Game of the Year for 2017, and said it "really challenged the medium" by asking "hard questions about what it means to be alive". No, it didn't.

This will spoil the entire game for you if you ever intend to play it but there's not much to spoil so read on if you don't care.

Nier starts by following Android 2B, a unit in YorHa which is designed to clear space (Lebensraum, if you will) for Humanity, which escaped Earth to the Moon after an Alien-created Machine holocaust on Earth took place. The no-nonsense 2B is the most enjoyable character because she doesn't talk much, but is constantly irritated by her Scanner partner, 9S, who's job is primarily recon but for whatever reason talks constantly. She falls in love with him by the end of the game for literally no apparent reason.

Throughout the game you start by killing machines who are hostile, dangerous, irrational and continue to kill machines who are hostile, dangerous, and irrational. 9S begins picking up on small nuances in dialog they use, like "I am in pain and have emotions and shit please don't kill me ow the knives you thrust through me and my family are ever so sharp and pointy". If you don't listen very attentively you could miss these vital hints the machines are more complicated than they appear very easily. At some point they literally give birth in a chamber where robots are dryly humping each other to another machine named Adam, but who is identical to the YorHa androids. After defeating Adam, he splits in half to create another machine android named Eve.

You then encounter a theme park with machines stuck in a loop of acting like clowns and having a never-ending party. This theme park is the best area in the game with the best music in the game and if there's any people giving this game high reviews it's specifically because of the sense of wonderment and joy this particular area brings when you first encounter it immediately after killing a thousand identical brown robots in a desert. The end boss for this area is a very fucking terrifying screeching ball dancer robot that no one seems to know anything about, and you assume it's some complicated invention of Adam and Eve or whoever their master is. You meet a machine named Pascal who runs a village of pacifistic machines, all with human-mimicked personalities.

A hole collapse in the middle of the map and it is an alien mothership. The aliens look like the regular small robots. Adam, who is very, very young (you literally just saw him be birthed), declares that they killed him hundreds of years ago. They encourage you to join them, you defeat them again. I forget what happens next. A giant machine whale attacks an aircraft carrier or something for some reason and then you kill Adam in this weird white room he claims he built next to the mothership underground. Eve has the most irritating pissy fit ever and all the machines 'on the network' (which doesn't include the pacifistic ones) go blood-thirsty and literally start eating androids at a camp nearby. You kill them and then kill Eve.

The end of the first story is two androids who have no reason to love each other loving each other. They cry, because apparently they have water. 9S is infected with Eve's AIDS and 2B has to kill him. She cries on him while strangling him to death, because apparently robots breathe, and apparently this is a more efficient way to kill a loved one than quickly stabbing him.

This ending leaves you hungry for explanations, so you play on. Next you play as the annoying 9S. The game starts getting really good for a while. Story B begins with you as a small robot trying to clumsily bring back to life a dead robot he calls 'brother' and I teared up at this part of the game for the first and last time. As it begins, it starts to dole out explanations. 9S is a hacker, and there is a cool hacking minigame he does instead of button mashing to kill stuff and complete tasks. The hacking minigame seems to imbue him with knowledge of those he hacks, and he begins to learn the machine's perspectives. You figure out the reason he was so tuned in to the machine's emotions over times is that the game was giving him cutscenes explaining the sad, emotional history of each significant thing he kills. The ball dancing robot was just a normal, detached robot who had fallen in love, and desired his crush's affection. He began to augment his body with junk to look beautiful, and began eating androids because there was a folk rumor that eating them made you beautiful.

A really, really significant thing to mention for this part is that you're playing through the game a second time, and while there are significant differences, there also are a ton of retreading old ground. So while you rush through as 9S, skipping entire camps because there's only so much you can play of the same 9 fucking top-down shooter minigames before wanting to kill yourself, you're also missing a ton of EXP. This is a fucking RPG, so if you do get underleveled, guess what, you're shit out of luck and suddenly bosses become BORING. The game can't kill you if you have an autohealer and enough heals, and if you hold down R1 while tapping RT constantly, your Pod spews out an unlimited amount of 8-damage bullets while you are essentially invincible because you dodge everything. A lot of fights became doing this. I looked up help to see if I was doing something wrong, and they seemed to advice going on Easy Mode, plugging in 'play the game for me' chips, and then sitting in one area farming XP to catch up.

The RPG elements are the weakest part. I never had any of the materials to get upgrades, ever. I finished the game with all but one item being level 3 or less. I didn't get to fuse all the chips I wanted. Being underleveled killed the games pacing, and farming XP killed the games pacing.

The hacking minigame also became extremely boring. One chest in particular was so hard to open I had to do it 10+ times and almost quit. The minigames also very rarely were customized, so hacking a boss was the same as hacking a big enemy in the desert. The ones that were customized didn't do so in a very clever way, or the customization was just an extension of the main game without using the actual minigame to tell any story at all.

So now the final path. At the start of Plan C, the YorHa bunker gets infected with AIDS and explodes. All YorHa androids are dead. 9S disappears, 2B gets AIDS and runs to a remote area of the game to die. She gives her weapon to A2, a cuter android who has perky tits and is a run-away from YorHa, who then kills her with the sword, quickly ending her pain instead of sitting on top of her crying while choking her to death like a fucking moron would do. However, 9S watches her do this!!!! Oh no!!! So now the functionally retarded 9S, instead of asking questions, goes into a super sayan bad guy rage because 2B is dead and A2 killed her!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The most important part of the plot is happening by now, but slowly. The two Pods that were your robot assistants for 9S and 2B begin to conspire together. With YorHa and the bunker destroyed, their prime directives given by the bunker are now gone. They agree to share data between themselves and monitor the situation. Their only goal is to keep the two fucking idiots alive. They also do not tell their units this, and are conspiring in secret to become the most likable characters. A2 refuses the help but the pod doesn't care and keeps helping her.

9S discovers that the YorHa was a Machine conspiracy. There are no humans on the moon, all the aid they were sending there had been empty. The Commander of YorHa revealed, before her death of AIDS, that this was to 'inspire morale' in the androids fighting the machine war, but you find out through the 3rd story that this was also a lie to inspire her morale. This is also where the story falls apart.

I can't explain all that happens in the 3rd story and it really doesn't matter. A2 only desires to kill machines, 9S started to like machines before 2B's death. 9S begins to hate machines, while A2 meets Pascal and begins to like machines. By the end of the third story a giant white tower, like the room Adam died in, springs up out of nowhere and 9S decides to ascend it and kill everything he sees. He does this by first visiting three rooms to unlock the tower, which reveal to him the entire YorHa project was a machine(?) conspiracy. The ultimate goal was to create a rumor humans live on the moon with the bunker creating this rumor, then kill the bunker so that no one except whatever the fuck the tower is knowing the rumor is false.

This means (dun dun dun), that A2, 2B, 9S, and all other androids were solely created to perpetuate and live under a falsehood before they themselves ran out of usefulness and were killed.

The theme is that life is meaningless. This is oh so cleverly alluded to with Pascal reading fucking Nietzsche, just in case you didn't get it.

Besides the RPG elements sucking, besides the game never explaining what the tower is or who God's voice was, besides the underleveling and the irritating repetition of the hacking minigame, and how the boss fights towards the end seemed to go on fucking endlessly, the main issue is that the ending fucking sucked. If you choose to help A2 at the end, she kills 9S and then still dies and the ending is called "meaningless code". If you choose to help 9S at the end (for whatever fucking reason), they both die, in an ending called "childhood ends".

There is one final ending. After helping 9S kill A2 because you're fucking dumb, the pods agree between themselves to backup the data of both androids. Adam is still alive in the tower somehow, and wants to shoot a library of all machine knowledge into space with the tower. Perhaps to meet aliens, perhaps to go nowhere. Adam wants to know if 9S would like to store his memory in this "Arc" and join them. If you agree, the Pods commence a data upload to the Arc and 9S's memories leave Earth with the rest of the knowledge.

That's the 'real' ending and it sucks.

Here's my ending, you ready? A2 kills the fuck out of the dipshit, climbs the tower, saves Devola and Popola (I couldn't even find time to mention them because they're thrown in at the last second), and then fucks the shit out of them in a hot android orgy. They then kill all the machines together and rebuild society together because they can and they enjoy being alive. The end. My ending is ending X for [X] rated. Fuck the Japanese.

Hui

fυ¢к тнє נαииιєѕ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>Expecting a good ending

$.jpg

You didn't like the music or gameplay either?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
You didn't like the music or gameplay either?
Music was the best thing about the game. The gameplay was repetitive. I didn't understand how the button mashing worked. The only combo I got was sometimes as 2B/A2, she would use your sword to knock people up, and then I could use my heavy sword to bash them all back down.

• Informative
Reactions: Hui

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
I finished Princess Maker 5 yesterday night and my daughter, Vicki, married her high school sweetheart (Kenichi), became a housewife, and five years later they divorced due to her independence rating being too high and now she lives at home.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire.

An excellent experience from start to almost finish. The setting was colourful and well realised and I felt the sort of wonder exploring Neketaka (the main city) for the first time as I did exploring Athkatla in BG2 or Novigrad in W3. Grey and grey morality throughout. I went with the Rauatai path and actually felt like an absolute monster when I
killed off Queen Onekaza II with an Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting to the face at their behest.

Not only that, but one of my companions left in tears afterwards and although yes, he was an arrogant prick, he was an arrogant prick with hidden depths having played his loyalty quest as well. Then again, had I sided with the Vailians I'd have lost Pallegina and she is crazy awesome in every conceivable way, the absolute feather-afro'd madwoman.

I'm genuinely tempted to give it another go from the start with the same character but taking totally different paths throughout.

It felt a lot easier than Pillars 1 though that may be because the level cap was higher and there were not all that many super high level quests. Once Aloth learned Chain Lightning and Crash Into Slumber and Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting it was way too easy just to nuke the fuck out of even
Concelhaut the lich lord and super archmage
by dint of being overlevelled. Pillars 1 had a level cap at 12 in the base game and 16 with the expansions but they also had bonus boss fights with things like an adra dragon and all its retainers, an archdruid and her two pet bog dragons, and so forth, and they were brutal.

I didn't like the last bit of the main quest though. It felt extremely rushed. I was hoping for a super epic final dungeon but alas, it was not to me, it was a single boss fight and then a resolution that should have taken more into account your actions throughout the game, but still.

Companions? Very nice. Aloth's quest had a rather cool ancient astronauts style vibe going on, Edér's was strangely heartwarming, Pallegina's was okay. Tekehu's was brilliant though and showed real hidden depths as well as a difficult moral choice. Xoti's could have been expanded on more and paced better, frankly. Rekke didn't really have one but he's an obvious sequel hook. Serafen's I somehow didn't do. Maia's was morally troubling esp. in light of the path I took towards the endgame. Ydwin felt like she'd been dummied out and was going to have more content but was reduced to sidekick status.

I'll probably play the expansions when they turn up.

I'd give it about 86% all in. It was so moreish altogether. Just sailing around singing Aim'Spirente or Haul Away and Go, exploring the islands and giving them rude names. I was hoping for a less rushed ending but other than that, an excellent game. Recommended.

Next thing I'm looking forward to is Vampyr.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Managed to finish the main scenario of Frostpunk today. It was easier than I thought even if I had to mercy-kill 1/7 of my population towards the end to fulfil a pledge to avoid being deposed hours from the end. Excellent game. I actually went, "Bloody hell, I did it" when I finished. And I managed to do so without declaring myself Pope or God-Emperor.

It would be nice to be able to play past the end, sort of an "endless" mode a la Papers, Please. They could have random happenings like additional refugee parties, and so forth.

I also liked the ending sequence which is a fast-forward shot of your city being built up from the central generator as you yourself built it, while a text creep tells you how you did.

tehpope

privacytools.io | prism-break.org
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Super Hot. Fun game, somewhat hard near the end. Kind of felt like a Matrix game. Kind of wish the story line was a bit more fleshed out. Not too bad.

To sum it up, It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years. You gotta try it.

• Agree
Reactions: dunbrine47

Halberd Sonichu

JUST FEELING SUPER!
kiwifarms.net
While not today, but a few days a pal and I went though Dragon's Crown Pro on normal. Really Fun game to play with a friend. couch co-op is nice every now and again. shame more games don't do it. because its really satisfying high fiving your bro when the last boss times after multiple tries.

Okkervils

Cat nips are great, I love all eight
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Totally late on this but the Blood and Wine DLC for Witcher 3. Not a full game, I know, but it was awesome. Especially Regis. Really enjoyed how it catered a bit more to the players who read the book series.

Baldur's Gait

Huh, you're a queer fellow!
kiwifarms.net
Finished Kingdom Hearts II for the first time a couple days ago. It's weird thinking about it, I grew up playing the original and I've owned II for a long-ass time and I only now finished the sequel.

Honestly, the Final Mix version of II was pretty great. I still prefer the original for purely nostalgic reasons, but by the end of the game, II's combat became possibly the best in the series and I'm excited to see where III will go.

Fuck that final boss though. If there's one thing the original did better, it was the final boss.

Ruin

Big tiddy Nazi GF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Totally late on this but the Blood and Wine DLC for Witcher 3. Not a full game, I know, but it was awesome. Especially Regis. Really enjoyed how it catered a bit more to the players who read the book series.
Most AAA games these days are around 10-15 hours. A 100% playthrough of BAW is around 35-40 hours. It's fucking crazy.

Okkervils

Cat nips are great, I love all eight
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Most AAA games these days are around 10-15 hours. A 100% playthrough of BAW is around 35-40 hours. It's fucking crazy.
Right!? They really went above and beyond with not only the game but the DLCs as well. It's refreshing getting your money's worth for DLC for once.

If Cyberpunk can even be 30% as good as Witcher 3 and it's DLCs, we're in for a great time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino