What Happened to RealVideo? -

Amy Madison

The Wonder Girl
kiwifarms.net
There are many different video files, one of them of which, is RealVideo. it was first introduced in early 1997, and it was used on Email, FTP sites, Usenet, P2P Networks, and various websites for download. it had a very common use during the late 1990's and early 2000's.
It was also for streaming media, It was used for 2D and 3D animated videos, Trailers and teasers, Movie clips and, Full episodes of TV shows.
RealVideo came along in early file sharing sites since early file sharing sites mostly used MPEG or MOV, But due to the advent of YouTube, Early file sharing sites were closed. RealVideo was used less and less, until it wasn't used anymore afterwards, Some of them either weren't working or the audio wasn't working at all.
It wasn't used in any websites anymore, since people used other video files, and HTML5 players.
So, What even happened to RealVideo?

Last edited:

lemmiwinks

кремлеботы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a proprietary codec and better, open-source codecs killed it off. IIRC, it could only be played in a special player which was free to end-users, but sites had to pay for embedded use.

According to Wikipedia it still exists, but it seems the format uses open standards. There were other similar situations with early online Video players/codecs in the 90's (xvid/divx situation).

Edit: to add links. I'm phone posting now, but later I may look into it further and update this post.

Last edited:

lemmiwinks

кремлеботы
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
At one point Realplayer offered slightly smaller file sizes in exchange for having to use their crappy bloated proprietary player, but then better codecs were invented so they (thankfully) went the way of the dodo
RealMedia still exists. It looks like the company itself is leaning into AI and the RealMediaHD codec is targetted for proprietary telephony usage.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
At one point Realplayer offered slightly smaller file sizes in exchange for having to use their crappy bloated proprietary player, but then better codecs were invented so they (thankfully) went the way of the dodo
I think Flash animation was one of the things that helped kill RealVideo in the late 90's and especially early 2000's. Flash animations could look and sound great(for the time) at a very small file size and people started to get very creative with what they produced.
Flash also had a video container format(.flv) and sites like Youtube were using it for several years.

Amy Madison

The Wonder Girl
kiwifarms.net
The proprietary players didn't look crappy, but rather bloated at times.

Bins

LGBTQ+, BIPOC, Autistic, Nonbinary, infinitfat
kiwifarms.net
For a point of reference, an eps of South Park.rm was somewhere between 30-70mbs for an entire episode (if I'm remembering correctly), which back in the hey day was pretty fuckin sweet. There was a website that uploaded new episodes the day after they aired. This was all before torrents were a thing or got really popular, and for South Park it worked since the animation was garbage anyway. That's the only real positive I have to say. Thank you for reading, G-d bless.

Amy Madison

The Wonder Girl
kiwifarms.net
I think Flash animation was one of the things that helped kill RealVideo in the late 90's and especially early 2000's. Flash animations could look and sound great(for the time) at a very small file size and people started to get very creative with what they produced.
Flash also had a video container format(.flv) and sites like Youtube were using it for several years.
Okay, Flash didn't kill RealVideo, But, Animated videos were on RealVideo whether, It's 2D or 3D.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Okay, Flash didn't kill RealVideo, But, Animated videos were on RealVideo whether, It's 2D or 3D.
RealVideo wasn't as good for animation as something made in and for Flash because RM compressed it as a video stream instead of rendering shapes while playing audio. Convert a flash animation(or a video stream of animation)+audio to realvideo and it would 100% be larger in size and look worse.

Amy Madison

The Wonder Girl
kiwifarms.net
RealVideo wasn't as good for animation as something made in and for Flash because RM compressed it as a video stream instead of rendering shapes while playing audio. Convert a flash animation(or a video stream of animation)+audio to realvideo and it would 100% be larger in size and look worse.
Okay it wouldn't look worse, but There was such thing as RealFlash, IDK that RV is not good for animation or not, but hey, Most animated videos back then used on MPEG or MOV files.

Amy Madison

The Wonder Girl
kiwifarms.net
For a point of reference, an eps of South Park.rm was somewhere between 30-70mbs for an entire episode (if I'm remembering correctly), which back in the hey day was pretty fuckin sweet. There was a website that uploaded new episodes the day after they aired. This was all before torrents were a thing or got really popular, and for South Park it worked since the animation was garbage anyway. That's the only real positive I have to say. Thank you for reading, G-d bless.
God is not a curse word, But I take the joke. also, spell it like this: G*d