What Have You Cooked Recently? -

A borscht-on

He'll tap my ass if he needs air, and that's it.
kiwifarms.net
Tonight I did a one-pot salmon dish I make about once a week. A salmon fillet, seasoned with s & p and Togarashi spice. Pretty much any vegetables you want--tonight I used green beans, cherry tomatoes sliced in half, sliced zucchini, a minced shallot all thrown into the pot with the salmon. 1/4 cup or so mixture of soy sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic, ponzu, and sambal poured over the salmon and veg. Baked with lid on in oven for 20 minutes at 375.

Easy, healthy, tasty, and uses up whatever veg you have lying around. You can eat it with quinoa or rice or whatever, I usually just eat it as is.

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did pulled pork tacos tonight. Every time I see the boston butt on sale at the store I grab it. 10 bucks nets you 3 pounds of meat. I just toss it in the slow cooker with some salt, pepper and garlic. After 8 hours shred it and put it in the fridge and I got a meat base for the next week.

Tonight I took some of it, added some trader Joe's taco sauce, some chipotle and mixed it all together in a fry pan. Stuffed in a taco shell. Basic as shit, took me 10 minutes. Delicious. Ny side item was a hard seltzer. God help me but I am trying to stick to a 1600 calorie diet. Had to forego the cheese and sour cream.

Billfreely

Hey Hey Hey! That's not okay!
kiwifarms.net
A cautionary tale about home grown squashes.
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind the next time I get squash, but I ate both of them and turned out fine.

I ended up making zucchini parmesan crisps with the second one per @Whatthefuck 's suggestion. Turned out excellent and I will definitely be doing that again. Went nicely with the ribs and Mac and cheese I made that night.

Bland Crumbs

I used to do things before I found this site.
kiwifarms.net
More green curry with adjustments. I added a bit more salt, msg, sugar, and ghee. Shrimp marinated in lime juice, and rice noodles instead of rice. Tasted much closer to the restaurant style. Also used less water, 1/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup.
That looks great.

---

I did some experimenting tonight. I am not a fan of red sauce on the rare occasions I desire pasta so I cooked some spinach, garlic, onion, fresh basil, and oregano and turned it to a puree/sauce. I had previously cooked some Italian sausage with the casing removed.

I boiled some angel hair for a minute less than usual then pulled a cup plus or minus of the water and drained the pasta.

I took the spinach mixture, some Romano, the water, a tsp of olive oil, and threw them in my food processor. I pureed them and then put the sausage in for a couple of seconds to break it up(In the future I would not).

Dropped the pasta and puree into pot and mixed them.

It is pretty great. The only mistake was the sausage. I would definitely slice it and serve on top.

I tried to put together a decent picture but it just came out looking...not great.

Tomorrow I am going to try a broccoli mac and cheese to go with chicken so maybe I will be able to manage a shot of that.

No idea why but I am into pasta this week. I think it is because I started lifting again after my gym was closed for half a year for no apparent reason.

Haram Exercise

Some assembly required
kiwifarms.net
That looks great.

---
No idea why but I am into pasta this week. I think it is because I started lifting again after my gym was closed for half a year for no apparent reason.
I'm right there with you. I've been lifting for 2 months now and I have a Insatiable carb craving. I bought a box of Banza chickpea pasta, it was okay but not as good as the real stuff. Most pasta I make I add a lot of cheese and oil with chicken and veggies.

I've been on a curry high for a while. It just tastes so good. Thai, jap, Indian, I love it all.

Reactions: Bland Crumbs

Ndnd

It’s not Aspirin...
kiwifarms.net
Been learning how to make different Japanese dishes while I've been trying to learn the language in my spare time. Onigiri, curry rice, and ochazuke are really easy to make, and even the more time/labor-intensive recipes like anko, mochi, and anpan aren't too difficult.
Do you ever do shabu shabu? It’s a helluva lot of fun if you have a big enough group of people and you always get some incredibly tasty broth at the end of it.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Chicken and dumplings, what I was rendering fat for earlier. Previously I've done this and just dropped the dough by the spoonful into the broth, and while this tastes fine it's a little ugly. So this time I actually went to the trouble of rolling out the dough, folding it a few times like pie crust, and then cutting it into actual noodles. This didn't take as much time as I'd thought and is well worth the few minutes it takes.

The soup is simple, just a mirepoix with salt and pepper and a touch of poultry seasoning, sauted in a mix of bacon grease and ham fat until the onions are transparent, pan deglazed with chicken stock, filled out with water to a broth and a touch of Better Than Bouillon added to salt it up a bit, and threw in a bay leaf.

The dumplings similarly, 1 3/4 cup flour, half teaspoon each baking powder and salt, and about a third of a cup of shortening (in this case 1/3 cup of about half and half schmaltz and bacon grease), filled out with a bit under 3/4 cup of milk, added bit by bit until the dough is soft and pliable but not sticky, rolled out on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch and folded a few times, then sliced into 2x1 inch noodles and dumped in the broth.

Throw in about a chicken worth of roasted chicken and the dumplings, boil/simmer about 20 minutes until the dumplings are nice and fat.

Top with chopped fresh parsley. Or don't.

The recipe I used suggested 4 teaspoons of corn starch to thicken it up, but the stock I made was thick enough I didn't need to engage in such plebbery.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made ricotta cheese in the sous vide. It was pretty easy and turned out extremely tasty. But it yielded less than I expected (never made it before) so I'll have to make more if I want to make lasagna.
I also bought some rennet to make mozzarella, but I'm not sure I'll get to it.
I love finding new uses for the sous vide. I've been meaning to try making chawanmushi. I made a little egg omelette the other day and the texture was incredible, super custardy.

Tonight I did a one-pot salmon dish I make about once a week. A salmon fillet, seasoned with s & p and Togarashi spice. Pretty much any vegetables you want--tonight I used green beans, cherry tomatoes sliced in half, sliced zucchini, a minced shallot all thrown into the pot with the salmon. 1/4 cup or so mixture of soy sauce, grated ginger, minced garlic, ponzu, and sambal poured over the salmon and veg. Baked with lid on in oven for 20 minutes at 375.

Easy, healthy, tasty, and uses up whatever veg you have lying around. You can eat it with quinoa or rice or whatever, I usually just eat it as is.
This sounds really good. I'll have to get some togarashi and try this.

Chicken and dumplings
This sounds incredible. Like my mom used to make, but even better.

Tags
None