What Have You Cooked Recently? -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had some leftovers from pot roast. Lots of little potatoes, carrots, random chunks of beef mostly fat.
Tossed all of it in a pot, added some jalapenos, mashed the crap out of it to make mashed potatoes ish.
Pretty good for burning through the tail end of leftovers.

Pygmy Giraffe

kiwifarms.net
Emeril Lagasse's jambalaya. The man might be a media meme now, but he cut his teeth working in New Orleans restaurants. The best part of his recipe is that it remains a humble affair, based around bone-in chicken, and doesn't take a bank loan to afford the seafood that other sources demand. Use whatever you have.

Don't bother with his branded "essence" just use Cajun seasoning.

Reactions: Haram Exercise

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
what is it about kiwi farmers with their obsessions about denigrating everybody? is it some peculiar paraphilia or just simply you're another angry autistic asshole who has to put other people down to keep from hating your ridiculously exceptional self?
I do it because I have the optimistic hope that vicious mockery will convince you to stop being a lolcow.

Rakdos92

kiwifarms.net
I made scampi with spaghetti today. It's a pretty simple recipe, you fry the floured scampi with concentrated butter, then you glass onions in said butter and deglaze with brandy.
After that, you add whipping cream, bell pepper powder, and tomato paste, and stir everything for 10 minutes on medium heat. Then add the scampi back, salt and pepper it, and serve with the spaghetti. You can add parsley as a decoration and added taste.

afternoon_tea

thank you Dr. Purr, very cool
kiwifarms.net
I have been wanting to try honeynut squash (they're like miniature butternut squash, but thinner skin and much sweeter) so tonight I made a tart with honeynut squash, pears, caramelized onions and gorgonzola. It was really good! I served it with side salad with arugula, fresh figs and grated parmesan.

Once fall hits I love making savory tarts.

An Ghost

Spectral distancing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i made lime chicken somebody posted up thread but now all my shitty plastic tupperware is stained with turmeric. p tasty tho.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
I have been wanting to try honeynut squash (they're like miniature butternut squash, but thinner skin and much sweeter) so tonight I made a tart with honeynut squash, pears, caramelized onions and gorgonzola. It was really good! I served it with side salad with arugula, fresh figs and grated parmesan.

Once fall hits I love making savory tarts.
Last time two times I cooked with butternut squash, I paired it with a goat cheese. Once with spaghetti and another time in a phyllo pastry. Needs a bit more salt than you'd expect, but a nice change of pace

Reactions: Whatthefuck

afternoon_tea

thank you Dr. Purr, very cool
kiwifarms.net
Last time two times I cooked with butternut squash, I paired it with a goat cheese. Once with spaghetti and another time in a phyllo pastry. Needs a bit more salt than you'd expect, but a nice change of pace
Chevre is usually my go-to with butternut squash. I will usually just bake the squash and serve it with butter, thyme, salt and pepper and chevre. Nice and easy and tasty.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1593240
This with potatoes and carrots in a cast iron pan in the oven
I'll do those sometimes but with chicken breast and maybe a veggiecheese mix in the breast too, like broccoli and cheese.

Tonight I made chili. Scrounging from random shit in the house, used a ground meat that had been in the freezer long enough that I'm not really sure if it was beef, pork, or turkey, a few cans of beans, can of mushrooms, can of tomatoes, a bunch of getting-long-in-the-tooth pre-peeled garlic cloves, various chili-ish seasonings, some asian chili sauce like goop, some jarred banana pepper slices, a sliced-up green pepper that had seen better days.
Not bad. Nothing really amazing but for a bunch of crap from jars or cans or otherwise would have been thrown out good enough.

Reactions: JeanActimel

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made burgers again tonight, my current go-to burger decorations are swiss cheese, pickles, Primal Kitchen's Hawaiian-style sauce, and brioche buns. Tonight I added some lettuce fresh from the greenhouse so it's technically healthy. My burgers get better every time, my family gets really excited when I make them. Normally I also have some frozen fries or tater tots to throw in the oven but I forgot to buy any, so I attempted to make my own fries. That's how I learned I don't know how to make fries that don't suck. I mean, they're ketchup-dipped cooked tater things so that's still pretty tasty but they failed as fries. I just cut up some taters, added salt and oil, and threw them in the oven. I did some skimming through a few cookbooks and what I will try next time is rinse the cut taters to get the excess starch off, pat them dry really well, and maybe put them on a wire rack for baking.

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
Well I'm a little drunk as I post this and cooked this drunk but basically what I did was I tried to make my own teriyaki pork and udon noodles. By that I mean I took some slices of pork and fried them in oil the poured on a bottle of teriyaki sauce with ginger and garlic added then a bag of those ready to cook udon Noddles sold next to ramen packs. It's not too bad but really it's missing a lot of essential ingredients like green onions, mushrooms, and shredded carrots. Real take out would have more dignity than this
IMG_20200914_235059.jpg

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made burgers again tonight, my current go-to burger decorations are swiss cheese, pickles, Primal Kitchen's Hawaiian-style sauce, and brioche buns. Tonight I added some lettuce fresh from the greenhouse so it's technically healthy. My burgers get better every time, my family gets really excited when I make them. Normally I also have some frozen fries or tater tots to throw in the oven but I forgot to buy any, so I attempted to make my own fries. That's how I learned I don't know how to make fries that don't suck. I mean, they're ketchup-dipped cooked tater things so that's still pretty tasty but they failed as fries. I just cut up some taters, added salt and oil, and threw them in the oven. I did some skimming through a few cookbooks and what I will try next time is rinse the cut taters to get the excess starch off, pat them dry really well, and maybe put them on a wire rack for baking.
The best trick is to pre-cook them via blanching or frying twice. This sets the flesh to just become fluffy and the skin to actually harden into a crunch. If you only do it once, yeah, you need to wash it of excess starches. It also helps to season and brine them for an hour before doing them. You also need to drizzle them in a good neutral oil too if you're oven baking them.

Or you can go fuck it and make fried potatoes ala german fries; just cut them up into cubes or circle slices after washing them, chop some onions and fry them in oil or butter on a skillet until golden brown on both sides. They're great as a dinner or breakfast item.

I'm a bit of an expert in cooking potatoes in my family due to my love of the stuff.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The best trick is to pre-cook them via blanching or frying twice. This sets the flesh to just become fluffy and the skin to actually harden into a crunch. If you only do it once, yeah, you need to wash it of excess starches.
Frying twice seems to get the best results IMO. A plus with blanching in water is you can freeze them in large batches indefinitely before using them. I am still tinkering with this with mixed results.

There are also some kinds of frozen fries that are already likes this. If they're sold as extra crispy they might be. Most frozen fries you can buy are a sad, soggy affair without blanching or double frying, though.

Tags
None