What Have You Cooked Recently? -

HamFan

Hi, guize! OK, so
kiwifarms.net
Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips.

I used pumpkin that I cooked and froze last fall. Didn't have eggs, so I found a recipe that didn't use eggs, just baking soda and buttermilk. Braced myself for disappoinment, but it was excellent. Rose well and was very moist.

Reactions: Haram Exercise

Buster O'Keefe

Enjoys offal
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Frying twice seems to get the best results IMO. A plus with blanching in water is you can freeze them in large batches indefinitely before using them. I am still tinkering with this with mixed results.

There are also some kinds of frozen fries that are already likes this. If they're sold as extra crispy they might be. Most frozen fries you can buy are a sad, soggy affair without blanching or double frying, though.
I don't make chips very often, but I freeze potatoes after parboiling and then roast them from frozen: the results are extremely crunchy exteriors and fluffy interiors, the holy grail of roast potatoes.

SmokingPig

What is that on the floor?
kiwifarms.net
I ended up making an alteration of an old recipe, that I learned at the place I was working before the China Virus ended up shutting the place down. It's for buttermilk chicken, but I added my own little Twist of utilizing a home made honey garlic sauce. The cilantro I used as garnish actually complemented the ginger I added in the honey garlic sauce pretty well. I ended up cooking it a little bit too long, but this is the first time I used this specific fryer for preparing fried chicken. If I ended up going only about 3 minutes less on the fry, I probably would of had the nice golden brown that I wanted.

Triple dip is the best way to make buttermilk chicken, I believe that is actually the way that KFC does their chicken. Turned out pretty good, kinda reminded me of Popeye's Chicken. Also I was too lazy to actually mince up the Cilantro, just added the leaves lol.

honeygarlicbuttermilkfriedchicken.png

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made fried rice but accidently added way too much salt. Haven't decided if I can salvage it with more rice or just toss it and try again.
More rice maybe... but some lime juice (call it Thai fried rice) should balance out the salt. Rice is hard because it just absorbs everything in a flash, like Amberlynn Reid.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
I got a bit too abitious and tried cooking ribs with Tabasco Sauce along with my usual mix of spices I prefer. I dunno if I used too much of it but the sweetness was just too much for me. Luckily my spice mix makes a big batch so its not a total waste of time, but I'm probably just going to ditch the Tabasco. I grew up thinking that stuff was too hot for me but its the sweetness that actually gets to me instead of the heat.

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
Lasagna but vegetarian. Turned out better than expected. Real cheese, fake meat.
I quit real meat back in july.

Last edited:
Reactions: Syikeblade

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I got a bit too abitious and tried cooking ribs with Tabasco Sauce along with my usual mix of spices I prefer. I dunno if I used too much of it but the sweetness was just too much for me. Luckily my spice mix makes a big batch so its not a total waste of time, but I'm probably just going to ditch the Tabasco. I grew up thinking that stuff was too hot for me but its the sweetness that actually gets to me instead of the heat.
I find tobasco tough to work with unless you just want tobasco-flavored Thing, it ends up overpowering everything else.

• Agree
Reactions: L50LasPak

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
curry
had about 2/3s of a rotisserie chicken getting long in the tooth and a few carrots in similarly meh states, three fresh yellow onions, did them up per instructions with a pack of "Medium Hot" Golden Curry (TL NOTE "medium hot" means "not hot in any way" in Japanese curry)
good stuff

Tags
None