What Have You Cooked Recently? -

MoffAlbert

Hey Hey Hey! I've been defeated yet again!
kiwifarms.net
I like thai peanut sauce. How flavorful are the noodles?
Just got done eating, the noodles ended up fantastic. Almost like the Thai peanut noodles you would get at the restaurant. Tbh, I just used regular packaged stir fry noodles, which are not too terribly favorable on their own, and tossed them in a wok with my homemade peanut sauce. Absolutely delicious after letting the noodles heat up in the sauce a few minutes.

The fish, however will need some retooling. I used way too much soy sauce and the salt overpowered the other flavors in the fish. Maybe next time I'll do chicken or shrimp instead and cut the soy sauce in half.

HamFan

Hi, guize! OK, so
kiwifarms.net
I put a bone-in pork butt in the instant pot. It was almost 9lbs, that I got for 99¢/lb. It made about 6 cups of broth I put in the freezer for later.

Served it with Stubb's hickory bourbon sauce on buns. Six sandwiches where made, and I still have a 13x9 pan full of meat. I'll divide it up and freeze most of it tomorrow.

To go with it I made a broccoli kale salad with toasted pecans and dried cherries- kind of a slaw, but I used very little dressing (mayo, apple cider vinegar, fresh cracked sea salt and pepper).

A sweet rice dish.

View attachment 2125733

You basically cook a type of shortgrain rice (with spices or just sugar) in milk for ~3 hours in your crockpot (or less on the stove) and have a creamy, sweet and delicious dish.
my granny used to bake rice pudding like this in the oven she'd take the lid off for the last couple of minutes so the top went all brown and delicious.

soft breathing

god has left the building a long time ago.
kiwifarms.net
my granny used to bake rice pudding like this in the oven she'd take the lid off for the last couple of minutes so the top went all brown and delicious.

My mum and grandma did the same - but they also added butter, eggs and sugar into the 'pudding' before baking it. Sometimes even fruit. It turned out something like this:

1619701372044.png

I still make it from time to time - it's one of my personal comfort foods, really.

Crunchy Oats

kiwifarms.net
These are called chrusciki.
In my opinion they only last a day and don't stay fresh very long.

chrusciki1.png

chrusciki2.png

The dough is made of cream cheese, butter, salt, and flour chilled for 2hrs.
It's baked at 350 for 12 - 15 mins or until edges begin to turn golden brown.
Jelly filled or cheese danish filled, coated in powder sugar, frosted, or plain.
If the dough is rolled too thick, the jelly will overcook before the cookie is done.

Mesh Gear Fox

What were once vices are now habits
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
These are called chrusciki
A fellow Polack? We always deep fry ours rather than baking. My grandmother's recipe doesn't use cream cheese in the batter, nor have any fillings (though I'd like to try that someday). You're right, they don't last long, Usually mine are only good for about 2 days before they start to get stale.

Exceptionally Exceptional

GET OFF MY LAWN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a recipe I came up with the other day for dinner. Was so good I wrote it the fuck down and am gonna have it again soon.

1 head green cabbage, cored and chopped
3 cups chicken broth or stock
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups rice
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 small onion, chopped fine
8 hard boiled eggs

Cook the chopped bacon. Drain and set aside, reserving half the grease.

Place the rice, water, 2 tablespoons of butter, and a pinch of salt in a covered pan and cook as directed by package.

While the rice is cooking return half the bacon grease and 1/4 cup butter to the skillet. Add onion, garlic, and cabbage, tossing to coat evenly. Sautee until cabbage begins to brown and the onion is caramelized.
Now add the chicken broth and black pepper and cover, stirring occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed.

Toss cabbage, rice, and bacon together mixing thoroughly and serve garnished with 2 halved hard boiled eggs.
Serves 4.
20210428_191222.jpg

Crunchy Oats

kiwifarms.net
A fellow Polack? We always deep fry ours rather than baking. My grandmother's recipe doesn't use cream cheese in the batter, nor have any fillings (though I'd like to try that someday). You're right, they don't last long, Usually mine are only good for about 2 days before they start to get stale.
Hey you're right, I googled it and it brings me to angel wings, I thought those were different than chruscikis.
The jelly filled cookies are called kolaczki, not chrusciki.

Solid Snek

kiwifarms.net
I made a Hungry Man Meatloaf dinner. Angus Beef Bowls, with two slices of meatloaf instead of just one!

The cheesy pepper potatoes were a little shitty, but I think that was because I didn't bother stirring it halfway through the microwave time.

MoffAlbert

Hey Hey Hey! I've been defeated yet again!
kiwifarms.net
Made portobello pizzas tonight. Cooked some portobello mushroom caps stem side down for 25 minutes in the oven at 350, added tomato sauce, tomato chunks, minced garlic, fresh mozzarella and a bit of asiago on top, and put them in for 15 more minutes to melt the cheese and heat the toppings. Came out absolutely wonderful, might use mushrooms instead of pizza dough from now on.

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
I've been buying lots of discount pork and slicing it into little strips, marinated in a mixture of normal white vinegar, prison-style fruit wine, and whatever odd spices I have on hand. It's been pretty good and easy to make quick but large batches of stir-fried pork and rice to take to work. It's sweet and tender and somehow never gets old. I've been saving the bones to make broth but I need to find a crockpot somehow with all the stores being closed.

Also leek is THE BOMB. I don't know why it got less popular and is considered an old people/classical/otherwise abnormal or "special" ingredient. It's the same price as onions but has more flavor.

Also protip: take the leafier very deep green tops of it that are too tough to cook with nicely and dry them at low heat in the oven. Crush it up or run it through a food processor and combine with an equal volume of whatever normal salt you use regularly. I haven't tried setting the bases in water and replanting once they sprout roots because I rent, but you can do that with green/spring onions and see no reason why you couldn't do it with leek.

I also made some coleslaw with normal green cabbage and shredded carrot, and put some cheapo on-sale frozen avocado in there too. It wasn't great as a salad but went fantastic on grilled/toasted sandwiches. With an unhealthy dose of mayo it's like a bizarre vegetarian po'boy mix.

And finally, re-using fermented fruit from making wine in baking or throwing it into a big pot of tea works out great. Don't use it in sweets though, I tried making blueberry pancakes with the dregs of some blueberry wine and it didn't go with sweet pancake batter at all.

I did the COVID basic white bitch thing of making some bread too, and it worked out ok. It was dense and filling compared to storebought bread but took a long time and a lot of resources. I'd made brioche-y type bread with lots of eggs and milk though so maybe that's it.

AnOminous

とても可愛い
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I did the COVID basic white bitch thing of making some bread too, and it worked out ok. It was dense and filling compared to storebought bread but took a long time and a lot of resources. I'd made brioche-y type bread with lots of eggs and milk though so maybe that's it.
Basic no-knead recipes are good and don't take much time or effort at all, but also end up thick and crusty.

The main trick is having a pan of water in the oven under the bread (or just pouring it on the bottom if it's clean) and/or using a dutch oven.

I've been feeling even less fancy than usual so I took some thick center cut pork chops, covered them in seasoned salt, then poured half a can of condensed cream of mushroom in a baking dish, added the chops, added the other half (without reconstituting), then baked at 350 until it was done, flipping them over a few times. I consider them done when they're falling apart.

That and canned green beans with a teaspoon of beef stock mix, a single strip of bacon, and topped with French fried onions.

Cheerlead-in-Chief

kiwifarms.net
Basic no-knead recipes are good and don't take much time or effort at all, but also end up thick and crusty.

The main trick is having a pan of water in the oven under the bread (or just pouring it on the bottom if it's clean) and/or using a dutch oven.

I've been feeling even less fancy than usual so I took some thick center cut pork chops, covered them in seasoned salt, then poured half a can of condensed cream of mushroom in a baking dish, added the chops, added the other half (without reconstituting), then baked at 350 until it was done, flipping them over a few times. I consider them done when they're falling apart.

That and canned green beans with a teaspoon of beef stock mix, a single strip of bacon, and topped with French fried onions.
Oh my mom made bread using a Dutch oven and shared it immediately. We still have a bit left. It was quite heavenly.

VIPPER?

kiwifarms.net
I've baked plenty with chemical leavening before, but wanted to try proper yeasty bread since I have a jar of the dried pellet type stuff from trying to make booze. I've even set a little jar of sourdough starter I hope will help out next time I make some brioche.
And kneading is part of the fun, too. As a test I took a little bit of the dough not-quite-leavened since I thought it stalled and baked it as is, but made a couple fancy little braids. It was relaxing and satisfying.

The bread was good, don't get me wrong, it just took a long time to make. But if I want a loaf of doughy stuff made quick, I'm fine baking some biscuits or cornbread or something. Even just making crepes is totally sufficient for my diet since I don't make a lot of sandwiches or pack lunches often.
The meat I've been getting has included some chops and other steak-y cuts and have had a lot of luck marinading them but cooking them with whole fresh mushrooms with the stems popped off and whatever other veggies I have cut fairly fine, but putting some maple or honey on top right before putting them in the oven at 400, and the chop right on top of the veggies. Fat and glaze drip off and keep the veggies moist and the meat from being too oily in itself. Only reason I don't do it more is the cooking time and it doesn't reheat well later.
Oh my mom made bread using a Dutch oven and shared it immediately. We still have a bit left. It was quite heavenly.
Try chinky steam buns sometime. There's something truly wrong with a steamed bun that hits every right spot.