What Have You Cooked Recently?

Fìddlesticks

using pity as lubricant
kiwifarms.net
I had this on my radar to try out after seeing this post and finally got around to doing it. Pretty good but the recipe I had didn't have much for seasoning besides salt and pepper. To me it felt like it was missing something to make the flavor more complex but I couldn't figure it out so I ended up over peppering it like I often do. It probably needed something to give it more umami. I would definitely go with more bacon than I used but there has to be something that is missing from herbs/spices side of things to elevate it.
Hmmm maybe try adding some cider and cooking it off after you do the sweating of the veg. Finish with serving with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche?

Oh you mean herbs.... trying to think maybe sage - it's a great partner for pork. Garnish with chopped chives?

Haven't been cooking at all really as I've not been well. But here is some ricotta spinach chicken with pork puffs "breading" and fried garlic powder seasoned courgette 20211012_173310.jpg

Fìddlesticks

using pity as lubricant
kiwifarms.net
I want to try to make a Moussaka this weekend, but I don‘t like beef. I have thought about putting chicken instead, do you think it’s a good idea or it will destroy the recipe? Plz help.
I've never heard of using beef as its greek... but I believe lamb is hard to get in the US? Also add a pinch of cinnamon.

If you don't like lamb either. Try half pork and half chicken. If chicken it is, there seems to be recipes... from the 5 top recipes that came up for chicken moussaka. This was my favourite. As it seems the most authentic. Frying the aubergine (big impact on the dish) and use of oregano. Etc. https://www.soscuisine.com/recipe/chicken-moussaka

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A turkey that had been brined for 36 hours in a fairly simple brine with some herbs and garlic. I might try this dry next time because it was a pain finding some container to put it in where it could be immersed, and when I did, that container was too big to refrigerate anywhere, so I had to put it outside and ice it to avoid having a Scalfani special.

I was going to try an injectable marinade but thought better of it. It was already plenty moist and since it is some kind of Cajun seasoned butter sauce, I don't know whether I'd like it anyway. I'll try that on a chicken first.

Anyway, not a trace of dryness and the brine seems to have penetrated further than just doing it overnight. My only addition was rubbing it with melted butter at the start and then olive oil near the end of cooking. The only other mildly tricky thing was the pop-up came up something like half an hour before the minimum recommended cooking time. I don't trust those things so I ignored it and went for the minimum time.

Also because of that, I had to make all the sides simultaneously. This involved really minor juggling, the one thing that worried me was making roux for the gravy while monitoring the other sides. For once, I didn't screw up the roux, though.

Prosopagnosia

Put the autism in the bag!
kiwifarms.net
A turkey that had been brined for 36 hours in a fairly simple brine with some herbs and garlic. I might try this dry next time because it was a pain finding some container to put it in where it could be immersed, and when I did, that container was too big to refrigerate anywhere, so I had to put it outside and ice it to avoid having a Scalfani special.

I was going to try an injectable marinade but thought better of it. It was already plenty moist and since it is some kind of Cajun seasoned butter sauce, I don't know whether I'd like it anyway. I'll try that on a chicken first.

Anyway, not a trace of dryness and the brine seems to have penetrated further than just doing it overnight. My only addition was rubbing it with melted butter at the start and then olive oil near the end of cooking. The only other mildly tricky thing was the pop-up came up something like half an hour before the minimum recommended cooking time. I don't trust those things so I ignored it and went for the minimum time.

Also because of that, I had to make all the sides simultaneously. This involved really minor juggling, the one thing that worried me was making roux for the gravy while monitoring the other sides. For once, I didn't screw up the roux, though.
Sounds great! Now I’m hungry.

mikaylatoads

[adult swim]
kiwifarms.net
Two days ago I made shoyu eggs 🥚 For the first time too, I mixed a table spoon of salt with a cup of soy sauce, mirin and red wine vinegar with a pinch of sediment from some Chinese hot oil, and damn. I’m a chef 👩🏻‍🍳 they’re delicious. You can eat them plain, they’re just salty delicious hard boiled eggs.
I love the idea of these ramen eggs, but I grew an aversion to boiled eggs when I was around 10, and I haven't shaken it :(

Haram Exercise

Two months sober (for real this time)
kiwifarms.net
I love the idea of these ramen eggs, but I grew an aversion to boiled eggs when I was around 10, and I haven't shaken it :(
I used to hate eggs as a kid. I developed an aversion after getting sick from a mcgriddle sandwich. In my teens I got used to them again from eating breakfast burritos, deviled eggs, and egg salad. You could give those things a shot if you haven't already.

Afinepickle

An actual pickle
kiwifarms.net
Made some beef stroganoff. Fried up some eye round that I cut up into strips in butter then sauteed some mushrooms and onions in the leftover butter and rendered beef fat until the onions were lightly browned but not quite caramelized and the mushrooms soft then mixed in flour. Seasoned the beef with salt/pepper and tossed it back in along with some minced garlic then stirred in some sour cream.

Let the whole thing simmer for ten minutes then served it over egg noodles.

comfysocks

kiwifarms.net
I made a center cut ham I forgot to bring for Thanksgiving. Had it with some black eyed peas and mac and cheese. I have this packet of liquid seasoning that says it makes mapo tofu and you only need to add ground meat and tofu. I'm pretty sure I have all the ingredients to make it but whatever, you can be lazy sometimes.

Joshuan Moon

Punished Josh: A Fallen Feeder
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna cook some shaslik. I'm not much for bbq myself but the marinade smells great. Fingers crossed for good results. The marinade called for red wine which I didn't notice so I didn't get any wine. I'm hoping some shaoxing with less of added salt will work well enough as a substitute. I'm betting its hard to mess up meat on a stick so it'll probably end up great.

Ol Dirty Fatso

assigned fashion police at birth
kiwifarms.net
I hate hardboiled eggs more than anything, but my favorite ramen place makes them very soft, almost like poached eggs and they're fabulous.

Edit: they are called onsen tamago

Poo

numberoneinthehoodg
kiwifarms.net
I am getting the ingredients for my all day pasta sauce. I brown the meat in the pot first, take the meat out, and then add in the vegetables to sweat for a while. After that, I deglaze the bottom of the pot with red wine before adding in the skinless tomatoes that have been pulverized by hand. Then I reduce it down to a very, very low heat for as long as possible. The more you let it roll, the more incredible the sauce becomes. The one thing that gets me is I can't get fresh pasta anywhere around here. I always wanted to learn how to make my own pasta from scratch with the rolling machine. Once you have tried fresh pasta, you won't ever want to go back to the dried kind.

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The one thing that gets me is I can't get fresh pasta anywhere around here. I always wanted to learn how to make my own pasta from scratch with the rolling machine.
I've never tried them, but there are these things that are like rolling pins but with grooves cut in them for cutting pasta without an actual machine. Minus is they only do one size, but you can buy a set of them pretty cheaply. Last time I had a Whole Foods nearby, they had a pasta machine and you could have them make it while you waited.

Haram Exercise

Two months sober (for real this time)
kiwifarms.net
I inherited an unopened big bag of organic short grain brown rice from my brother, and I decided to make some today. In the rice cooker I put 2 cups rice, 3 cups water, knob of butter, tbs. of salt, and spoonful of better than bullion chicken. After cooking for an hour it turned out really delicious, I think I prefer it to white rice tbh. It has a slight chew and was tasty with leftover turkey and turkey gravy.