What Have You Cooked Recently? -

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pan-fried some flounder with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and had some spicy fries with it as a bootleg fish n' chips. It worked out fairly well.

Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

An Ghost

Top Coof
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mexican rice, and marinated steak tips.
The only notable thing is I measured the brown rice out before I went to the store to see if I had to get more, and just let it sit on the counter. And apparently the bag was full of weevils and they jumped ship and covered the kitchen. I still cooked the rice because I thought “there can’t be that many more in the rice, right?” And I was wrong. I’m still gonna eat it tho.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
had some leftover taco-ish ground beef and onion, and some extra beef fat from burgers, threw that in with a couple more chopped onions, ton of paprika, some (not particularly) hot sauce, cooked it low for a while with a lid, stirred every 8ish mins, eventually tossed in a bunch of sour cream and noodles

Reactions: An Ghost
I've been watching lots of Cowboy Kent Rollins on Youtube lately - decided to try out his recipe for Shit on a Shingle. Really his recipe just seems like a basic sawmill gravy and ground beef. I made mine with ground veal because that's the only ground beef that was available at my local store, but damn was it tasty. I haven't done much with roux and I'm learning to make roux-based sauces and such, this gravy was a great way to learn.

I'll be looking for cornmeal and trying to make a cornbread soon.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Scottish shortbread. I'm actually still making it. I creamed the butter and sugar in a food processor and then finished in a bowl with a spoon. This has a second bake step, where you bake it a second time after letting it cool. I'll see how that works out.

Judge Holden

Corpsefucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
niggas of kiwifarms, I have come to confess to sins of high weebery

Inspired by some manga shit I was reading, and upon realising how technically easy the process would be, I today decided to make Onigiri rice balls

And......I somehow knocked it out the fucking park despite never cooking with japanese rice or making sushi rice before in my entire life

Basically I rinsed 250g of sushi grade rice four times in cold water till the water was clear, then put it inside a pressure cooker with 320ml of water, set it on the "rice" function, and let cook for 7 minutes before turning off and letting it rest for five minutes and depressurising, at which point I turned the now perfectly fluffy and sticky yet still nicely firm rice onto a baking tray and gently mixing in 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar/1 tablespoon sugar/1 teaspoon salt/1 teaspoon mirin until combined but not mashed and spread it in a single layer to hasten cooldown time.

After this cooled down to warm, it was a simple matter of keeping my hands wet in saltwater and shaping the balls around the hot smoked salmon I was using as a filling, before adding a strip of nori around the middle and sprinkling some sesame seeds atop and I was done, with five bigass onigiri siting in a row...until I tasted one and realised how fucking amazing I had somehow managed to make it and I swiftly devoured the entire plate with nary but a small sprinkle of good soy sauce added as a condiment

This coming week I aim to use up the rest of the small batches of nori and sushi rice with actual sushi now that I have found the perfect technique, and will probably cure some salmon over the the next few days so I have the perfect filling ready

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
chocolate chip cookies
Just those cheap prepackaged dough types, this was tollhouse brand. Dough was cut for shit compared to the pillsbury ones.
Cookies are fine enough.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Currently baking the flounder fillets I had billeted for it. Potatoes are about 2/5s done.

Edit: They're done now. The flounder was well cooked and decently seasoned in its jacket, and the fries so far are lightly spicy and salty, as I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

MakeItRain

taste the waste
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Turns out I can make a gallon of yogurt for the cost of a gallon of mil k with minimum effort so now I'm waiting on a 24 hour ferment. Besides basic fruit preserves breakfast yogurt I think I'm going to try stirring in a savory apricot chutney to go with lamb and blending a tzatziki sauce out of this first run.

Tags
None