What Have You Cooked Recently? -

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
-Crab cakes with Old Bay; used crushed saltine crackers as the filling for the patties instead of panko breadcrumbs like I normally use. Successful result.

-Chicken tortilla soup (recipe). This is my favorite recipe for this soup.

-Spicy zucchini quesadillas (recipe). Fucking delicious. I've made this many times since discovering the recipe a few years ago.

-Some random vegetable stir fry with sauteed peanuts and peanut sauce served over white rice (I improvised this dish entirely). I love peanut sauce, so I thought this turned out really well.

-Oatmeal raisin cookies. I used the recipe that's on every Quaker Oats can. Trust me on this one: Listen to what the Quaker Man tells you. This is my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe, and I've tried a lot of them.

I tend to cook a lot. It's a hobby of mine. It's fun, and it delivers what are typically/hopefully satisfying results. lol.

Last edited:

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Knows Kung-Flu
kiwifarms.net
AEB1C266-AFBD-44D2-A285-77D2920D6ED6.jpeg
I made some lemon poppyseed cake, and it was worth waiting for the syrup to soak in. As expected, it tasted much better than stuff from the supermarket. More ‘real’, I guess. I made the syrup more lemon juice than the recipe called for, because I like tart things. I think it was a good call, not too sweet at all.
I’ve been messing around with pound cakes lately, and I think that this one here is one of the best ones to make.

Last edited:

Mr. Skeltal

Calcium fortified at your own risk
kiwifarms.net
I'm perfecting my sourdough technique. I made two loaves yesterday that came out chewy and tangy with a well developed structure and good crumb. I need to work on aesthetics, but presentation is secondary to taste and texture in bread.

Compared to other foods I cook, bread has this strange catharsis about it. I feel happier after having made a good bread than completing a much more complex dish. I have no idea why this is, but I can't get enough of that feeling.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Corona and tacos
ground beef, pile of seasoning like chili powder, tumeric, salt, pepper, paprika, an onion, and a mess of jarred jalapenos, cooked the shit out of that
got some wal mart generic flour tortillas, toasted one up in a pan, threw some shredded cheddar on it, then the beef mix
very nice

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Had a hankering for some raw fish and didn’t feel like paying $13 at the local poke bowl place, so I did some research and found that you can pretty safely eat Costco salmon/tuna raw, as long as it’s farmed and not wild caught (since farmed fish have very low risk for parasites).

Obviously I do not have quite as impressive of an ingredient collection at home to mix into my bowl, but some cucumber, edamame, avocado and chopped bonito flakes add more than enough flavor to the mix.

Far as the “recipe” goes I just chopped the salmon into small cubes and marinated with scallions, ponzu sauce and soy sauce, then topped it over warm rice along with the other cold ingredients.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had a hankering for some raw fish and didn’t feel like paying $13 at the local poke bowl place, so I did some research and found that you can pretty safely eat Costco salmon/tuna raw, as long as it’s farmed and not wild caught (since farmed fish have very low risk for parasites).

Obviously I do not have quite as impressive of an ingredient collection at home to mix into my bowl, but some cucumber, edamame, avocado and chopped bonito flakes add more than enough flavor to the mix.

Far as the “recipe” goes I just chopped the salmon into small cubes and marinated with scallions, ponzu sauce and soy sauce, then topped it over warm rice along with the other cold ingredients.
neat

made meatloaf
red lentils I rinsed and soaked for a while, bunch of ground beef, some worsticihere, about half an onion in tiny pieces, chili powder, horseradish, Steak Seasoning, fresh ground black pepper, paprika, a tablespoon or two (whatever was in the bottle) of some mustard based bbq sauce, and some yellow mustard on top
a little heavy on the lentils but quite tasty

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Knows Kung-Flu
kiwifarms.net
I made a marbled pound cake and a kugelhopf cake. I’m taking them to shop class, so they’re not all for me.
Of course, I did have some small pieces for quality assurance purposes.
96285F65-4925-4AA2-A5F4-0C03E3329073.jpeg
The pound cake is the same as the other one I posted earlier, but it is a crowd pleaser. I was one egg short, so I added some buttermilk as a substitute. It turned out just right.
E9D00BDB-DCEA-4C4A-8E17-D142A4355422.jpeg
The kugelhopf is a different beast at all together. It’s a yeasted cake, so it’s almost more of a sweet raisin and almond bread. It is delicious, and is a very old school recipe that still holds up today. The orange zest adds just a hint of citrus, but isn’t the main event. That would be the golden raisins evenly dispersed throughout the cake. The nuts and the gold raisins play very well together, and the texture is almost like actual bread crossed with a doughnut.
I don’t have the ‘traditional’ pan for kugelhopf, but the taste’s the same. It just looks a little different.

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Had to make two dinners last night because Mrs Bass was sad and wanted comfort food (and i'm the best ever) so did some tuscan pork chops then quick made a beef stew with egg noodles and a trappist beer. The pork chops were frozen and one got tucked into my lunch today :) Stew was nice but wish it had more time to cook.

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
The other night I threw together an improvised beef stroganoff from available materials using some meat, 4 packets of instant mushroom soup, a can of beef broth and some pasta, all combined into a slow cooker for about two hours.

Wasn't too bad though I may want to keep some low sodium broth in stock for the future.

Last edited:

Clovis

The blood of these whores is killing me!
kiwifarms.net
Had a bunch of random fresh stuff that needed using up, hence this odd combo. Proscuttio with smoked tabasco sauce, asian mushrooms, white truffle pesto and wild garlic scrambled egg, kefir quark. 2/10 for presentation but 8/10 for taste. (10/10 as a hangover cure).
20200306_130412.jpg

Slimy Time

Rape Face #5, I think...
kiwifarms.net
Penne and ragu using flank steak. Got 1.2kg of steak. Easy dinner for 4 made great by fantastic beef. 1h30 mins to get melt in the mouth beef and pasta sauce and still have half which I froze that can be used for something else.

Reactions: Mesh Gear Fox

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Knows Kung-Flu
kiwifarms.net
Please don’t mind the cooking rack, it’s just how I dust my cakes.
A71B94C8-2A02-4E66-B922-347B413529F8.jpeg
Basically, I have been drafted into making some cookies and cakes for a birthday, and I wanted to test out an idea I had before I actually send it to other people.
This one is a chocolate, cinnamon and almond swirl yeasted cake.
7786913B-03CA-4362-81B6-159578ACCE50.jpeg
The swirl wasn’t as swirled as I would have wanted it to be, but it tastes great. The bread dough blends very well with the chocolate and the cinnamon, the crust is has just the right amount of crunch, and the nuts give some more body to the inside. The actual chocolate mixture was slightly bitter, like a dark chocolate, and it helps the slightly sweet bread much more than a sweeter filling would have. The actual dough doesn’t have very much sweetness to it, however, it’s basically bread.
Overall, I’m very happy with how this one came out and will definitely make it again.

Tags
None