What Have You Cooked Recently? -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Saw your post and decided to try this recipe today. It was surprisingly simple and came out tasting pretty authentic (though you will need a pretty fully stocked spice drawer to do it properly...)

Indeed, Golden is the brand I’ve always used. Pretty sure it’s the most common one in the US, so I use it just for the consistency.
yeah they stock Golden even at the local cracker stores like Publix and Wal-Mart
I got into Golden from a Japanese joint at the mall I played DDR at for a while. One time I was like "hey could I get one of those Ramunes too pls" and then the dude realized he didn't have a sign up about it and he was like "wait you can read Japanese wtf". After that I worried what secret intel he might have had up in moonrunes that I didn't notice.

there's some other stuff that gets hotter but so far my slight travels in Japanese curry have shown it's sorta that generic UK-ish brown style with varying degrees of heat, but Japan is still usually easymode for curry heat

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
yeah they stock Golden even at the local cracker stores like Publix and Wal-Mart
I got into Golden from a Japanese joint at the mall I played DDR at for a while. One time I was like "hey could I get one of those Ramunes too pls" and then the dude realized he didn't have a sign up about it and he was like "wait you can read Japanese wtf". After that I worried what secret intel he might have had up in moonrunes that I didn't notice.

there's some other stuff that gets hotter but so far my slight travels in Japanese curry have shown it's sorta that generic UK-ish brown style with varying degrees of heat, but Japan is still usually easymode for curry heat
Yep, I always get the “extra hot” variety that comes in a scary-looking black box and... yeah, it barely registers as spicy at all. If I REALLY wanted to torture my digestive system, I’d just make Thai curry with as many Thai chili’s as I dare put in. Those lil niggas pack some serious punch. Unfortunately Thai curry is generally more of a pain to make for me, because fresh basil isn’t something I keep stocked in my kitchen and stores like shit; while my local international market only occasionally stocks Galangal (though normal garlic works well enough in a pinch) and hasn’t had it in months thanks to the pandemic.

Reactions: Adamska and XYZpdq

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yep, I always get the “extra hot” variety that comes in a scary-looking black box and... yeah, it barely registers as spicy at all. If I REALLY wanted to torture my digestive system, I’d just make Thai curry with as many Thai chili’s as I dare put in. Those lil niggas pack some serious punch. Unfortunately Thai curry is generally more of a pain to make for me, because fresh basil isn’t something I keep stocked in my kitchen and stores like shit; while my local international market only occasionally stocks Galangal (though normal garlic works well enough in a pinch) and hasn’t had it in months thanks to the pandemic.
yeah Japan is amazingly pussy about what they consider hot from everything I've seen so far

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
Soegogi beoseot deopbap or Korean stir fried beef and mushrooms over rice. Recipe courtesy of the undisputed queen of Korean cuisine, Maangchi. It was fantastic with a bit of kimchi that I get from our local Asian market. They hand make it so it's so fresh and delicious. Also, a birthday cake. I'm a terrible baker so it was a challenge, but it turned out well. I may have had some help from Betty Crocker, but I did add some extras for flavor and made my own icing.

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Buttermilk fried chicken babyyyyyyy
Turned out very tender and juicy, I'm always a little nervous about frying chicken becasue I don't want to fuck up and make it charcoal on the outside, salmonella on the inside (paging Jack Scalfani) Served a nice salad on the side and used a bit of extra buttermilk to make my own ranch and it turned out super tasty. Normally I'm too lazy to make my own dressings but this would be a good way to use up extra buttermilk that isn't totally carb-heavy.

A borscht-on

Population: BEEZERS!
kiwifarms.net
A nice portion of salmon seasoned with miso soup paste, dill, chili flakes, and fresh lemon juice. Wrapped in foil and baked in the oven at 350 degrees for fifteen minutes. Ate it with baby potatoes & sour cream, and way-too-pricey asparagus that I blanched in very salty water for three mins and seasoned with lemon juice only.

Was pretty darned good. I don't have an outdoor BBQ or grill; if I had, this meal would have taken on a whole new delicious dimension.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Buttermilk fried chicken babyyyyyyy
Turned out very tender and juicy, I'm always a little nervous about frying chicken becasue I don't want to fuck up and make it charcoal on the outside, salmonella on the inside (paging Jack Scalfani) Served a nice salad on the side and used a bit of extra buttermilk to make my own ranch and it turned out super tasty. Normally I'm too lazy to make my own dressings but this would be a good way to use up extra buttermilk that isn't totally carb-heavy.
Yeah, fucked up on frying myself. Should've listened to my gut and chop the chicken into smaller pieces. I thought it was thinned enough though and I paid for it. It sucked too since I got the batter right first go.

Fun fact, you can at least make a quasi-egg bread with the leftover battering agents. That at least was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

A borscht-on

Population: BEEZERS!
kiwifarms.net
Today, a pureed soup. Celery, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, chicken and vegetable stock, chopped russet potatoes, fresh broccoli, and a can of tomatoes. Thyme and rosemary and bay leaf. Cooked it like crazy, then took a hand blender to it. Looks unappealing and vaugely taupe-coloured, but tastes lovely with a glob of sour cream and some hot sauce.

Reactions: KeepHopeAlive

Slimy Time

Read 'em and weep
kiwifarms.net
Everyone except me went out for dinner. Thought I would practice pastry/pie making skills and give them a dessert when they got back.

This is what they got.
_20200605_230801.JPG
DSC_0910.JPG
Recipie from a 20 year old Le Cordon Bleu Home Collection book on Chocolate. Very tasty and rich. Barely finish a slice. Cut down on the sugar a bit and swapped out icing sugar for grated dark chocolate.

Attachments

Last edited:

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I committed an absolute atrocity against a chicken by trying and failing to cut it up in a sensible manner. It isn't as easy as those "chop up a chicken in a minute" videos and I fucked it up horribly, seriously Scalfani tier shit.

That said, other than being unidentifiable, they were delicious once battered and deep fried. I Scalfani'd the first but put it right back in to finish.
I butchered a raw turkey a few months ago and it gave me a new appreciation for butchery. It made a huge mess and took about an hour, but it ended up being a delicious turkey.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: HamFan and Adamska

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"cooked" is probably a stretch but I got one of those Aldi generic 6x8x.75 frozen lasagnas, tossed some extra oregano on it
not bad, well worth $2.50

Reactions: Whatthefuck
Tags
None