What Have You Cooked Recently? -

Slick Willy

My wife has been legally dead since 1997.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Vichyssoise, French Onion Soup, and Crème brûlée.

I used Chef John's recipe for the vichyssoise, which was the most flavorful soup I've ever had. I used homemade beef stock instead of vegetable or chicken. The only downside is that all the leeks caused horrific gas.

The French onion soup recipe came from Ina Garten: I have a suspicion that the veal stock (which she suggests but I didn't have) adds a lot of flavor and that I didn't caramelize the onions long enough, because I got a very substandard flavor.

The crème brûlée recipe was the same I used as last time: Alton Brown's. It came out beautifully.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I saw Babish's recipe for Okonomiyaki and had to try it because I'm still on a cabbage-spree.
I didn't have Katsuobushi so we just ate it without them.
Most delicious thing I've made/eaten in a while.

The picture is stolen - I forgot to take one before I wolfed it down.
View attachment 1373445

The recipe if anyone's interested: https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/okonomiyaki
I really should understand how to make Japanese shit like this
unrelated, today I found out I was still getting an extra hundred forty something in food stamps this month so I got some steaks. Did it up with some basic seasonings.
Not bad but the next one I'm making sure I dry out and add more salt.

A borscht-on

Population: BEEZERS!
kiwifarms.net
Crispy-skin salmon filets (RIP and thanks for your cast iron pan, gramma!) seasoned with s & p, chili flakes, dill, and a bit of soy sauce. Eaten with squeeze of fresh lemon juice alongside steamed asparagus and rice. Had a bit of the salmon left over this morning, so chopped it up and threw it into an omelette with sauteed spinach and mushroom.

An Ghost

Of foreskins past
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cucumber, dill, and feta salad with a vinaigrette and grilled steak. Just summery enough for the weather.
keto cheese chips. Hear me out. They're genius. You just put chunks of cheese on parchment paper on a baking sheet and you bake it until they spread out and start getting crispy. Then you have chips for guacamole, salsa or whatever. I made some taco meat to go with them at one point, and it was incredible with homemade guac and chopped tomatoes. You can sprinkle a little cumin on them before baking for more flavor.
I had something like this recently where its not just a chunk of cheese but soft like bread. The keto stuff can be great but i avoid too much of it since im not on the diet.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
A really good rump roast. I almost never buy this cut, and frankly got ripped off on it this time, it was $9 a pound at where I usually buy meat and was literally the only roast they even had, even at 7 in the morning. So a nearly $30 fucking roast. But since I'm only going out every couple weeks I more or less had to get it. I would have done without, but although overpriced, it was actually a gorgeous cut of meat.

While still unhappy about the price, the roast was delicious and everyone loved it. It was more or less a combo of generic pot roast and bourgignon with the main odd ingredient being balsamic vinegar.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I stuffed jalapeños with a mix of ground pork, scallions and egg and then pan fried them until the pork was cooked. Then I added a sauce (soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar and sesame oil) and cooked it until the sauce was sticky. It's supposed to be a dim sum thing. I thought it was only OK but my boyfriend loved it.

Xarpho

Useful mask for exploring the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Tried my hand at spaghetti puttanesca today, came out pretty good for a sauce that essentially had no meat (a lot less fatty—all my previous spaghetti sauces have involved beef or Italian sausage). I also added mushrooms to it because those are good. Plus, capers, as it turns out, complements the spaghetti sauce (which I admit came from a jar that already had other stuff like oregano, basil, onions, and other stuff cooked in) nicely with its briney flavor and adds vegetable matter to it without adding zucchini to it (as mother would do). I also tried something entirely new, crushing two (somewhat unripened and not very sweet) grapes into the mix, as I've added wine in the past.

Still trying to really perfect a good spaghetti sauce.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
A really good rump roast. I almost never buy this cut, and frankly got ripped off on it this time, it was $9 a pound at where I usually buy meat and was literally the only roast they even had, even at 7 in the morning. So a nearly $30 fucking roast. But since I'm only going out every couple weeks I more or less had to get it. I would have done without, but although overpriced, it was actually a gorgeous cut of meat.

While still unhappy about the price, the roast was delicious and everyone loved it. It was more or less a combo of generic pot roast and bourgignon with the main odd ingredient being balsamic vinegar.
Beef is very expensive, right now.

Roast chicken with cranberry rye stuffing and green beans. The pressure cooker has made cooking after work so much easier.

Reactions: Whatthefuck

Sock

goon extraordinaire
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Aside from Pasta & other generic stuff, I tried to cook some Lahmacun in a brick oven, turned out pretty good.

Lahmacun: (I didnt take photo of the ones I did)
View attachment 1381971
Did you make the brick oven yourself? If so, how tough was it? It's a project I'm doing at home this summer....an earthen oven. Been gathering materials. I made stuffed gabage recently. A bit intimidating, but turned out pretty easy to do.

Tags
None