What have you recently eaten?

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bun Mang Vit. Vietnamese duck soup with cabbage and and a bunch of other shit. It was pretty good, certainly different than Pho or vietnamese tomato based beef stew. This was more, almost more of a Malaysian shrimp or oyster sauce taste. It had roasted cashews which were probably my favorite part. The crunch of the cashew with the broth and bite of the duck and cabbage was really good. Some of the other flavors, including the bamboo shoots and little green onions I didn't enjoy as much.

I'm on a mission to try pretty much every vietnamese soup based dish at this one place near me so I'll be at it all summer. They have about a dozen.

AnOminous

Only the kindest and friendliest of all Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed. Dal is God-tier, add in yellow Saffron rice & naan bread & you're in heaven....
My Indian is one of those thali plates, usually one of the vegetarian sets. There was one I used to get where they would not be at all shy about crowding the plate and one of the dishes was a fantastic dal. I'll also do a phall from time to time, although I like vindaloo more and you can still just add more peppers to it if you're that determined. Vindaloo works really well with goat too, for some reason. Probably the ultra-slow cooking. Goat is a rather temperamental meat and Indians for some reason are among the few who do it right (Afghans also do a good goat curry).

I'll also make a semi-bastardized bhel puri at home sometimes, a recipe I stole from the Internet and dumbed down and made in giant bowls as party food. That stuff doesn't save well so you only make as much as everyone present can eat immediately. It's also really amenable to just taking any salty, savory, sweet, sour, crunchy, or whatever ingredient, even non-Indian items. What I like is having hot ingredients mixed with cold and contrasting flavors, and immediately eating after lightly mixing them so that the flavors and temperatures haven't all melted together yet. Yes, this is junk food, no, probably not as bad as your usual junk food.
Agreed. Dal is God-tier, add in yellow Saffron rice & naan bread & you're in heaven....
I remember the first time I had freshly made naan bread with the char pattern on it, and it was like a revelation. Before then, the "bread" that I knew was insipid and came pre-sliced in bags.

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@AnOminous what do you think of Jamaican / Carib curry goat? Even when I lived in Crown Heights I didn't think it was worth ordering. It's just too gamey for me and it's tough too. Man I miss the food of Crown Heights just absolute heaven. I could probably eat Jerk chicken with pidgeon peas and collard greens every day for the rest of my life and never get sick of it.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually haven't had that although I've had plenty of jerk. One recommendation, Walkerswood sells a genuinely brutal wet jerk rub that is mostly scotch bonnets. I once marinated some chopped chicken in this stuff and forgot about it for three days or so, and then encountered it in the fringe and it didn't seem spoiled so took a gamble on it.

The chicken itself was so insanely hot that it was inedible even by me. I finally managed to eat it by grinding it up and freezing it and using a cube of the ground chicken as seasoning in its own right. Done like a sane person would have done it, it would have had a reasonable but not insane kick.

Done normally, it still packs a wallop but has a slower come-on. So you can be halfway through the meal and think "oh this isn't so bad" but be sweating by the end.
It's just too gamey for me and it's tough too.
The gaminess works well in a really hot curry but it really, really needs a long, slow braise to lose the toughness. A tandoor is exactly the vessel to do that in. In a comically exaggerated spiciness level, having a strongly flavored meat (even if some of that flavor is bitter) means you can actually taste it over the heat. This is one of the few areas where I'd prefer goat to lamb.

Last edited:

Begemot

"I was carried to ohio in a swarm of bees."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bun Mang Vit. Vietnamese duck soup with cabbage and and a bunch of other shit. It was pretty good, certainly different than Pho or vietnamese tomato based beef stew. This was more, almost more of a Malaysian shrimp or oyster sauce taste. It had roasted cashews which were probably my favorite part. The crunch of the cashew with the broth and bite of the duck and cabbage was really good. Some of the other flavors, including the bamboo shoots and little green onions I didn't enjoy as much.

I'm on a mission to try pretty much every vietnamese soup based dish at this one place near me so I'll be at it all summer. They have about a dozen.
Yeah, I need to get out of a rut with Vietnamese food, typically it's pho or banh mi or Pork on broken rice, very basic stuff that's barely scratching the surface. That sounds great.

My Indian is one of those thali plates, usually one of the vegetarian sets. There was one I used to get where they would not be at all shy about crowding the plate and one of the dishes was a fantastic dal. I'll also do a phall from time to time, although I like vindaloo more and you can still just add more peppers to it if you're that determined. Vindaloo works really well with goat too, for some reason. Probably the ultra-slow cooking. Goat is a rather temperamental meat and Indians for some reason are among the few who do it right (Afghans also do a good goat curry).

I'll also make a semi-bastardized bhel puri at home sometimes, a recipe I stole from the Internet and dumbed down and made in giant bowls as party food. That stuff doesn't save well so you only make as much as everyone present can eat immediately. It's also really amenable to just taking any salty, savory, sweet, sour, crunchy, or whatever ingredient, even non-Indian items. What I like is having hot ingredients mixed with cold and contrasting flavors, and immediately eating after lightly mixing them so that the flavors and temperatures haven't all melted together yet. Yes, this is junk food, no, probably not as bad as your usual junk food.

I remember the first time I had freshly made naan bread with the char pattern on it, and it was like a revelation. Before then, the "bread" that I knew was insipid and came pre-sliced in bags.
Goat Biryani is the best, just a touch better than lamb. Even my sad attempts at cooking rogan josh from a packet turned out okay with goat from the markets.

Last edited:

A Grey Cat

Meow
kiwifarms.net
Thick cut fries and some shrimp tempura both heated up in the oven. Courteously of lidl food markets. Not a bad meal by any means. It's something to keep the booze down at least...hopefully.

Jimmy Olsen

kiwifarms.net
First steak we've eaten in a year and a half thanks to a gift. A real nice sirloin.I've never been huge on steak, but having been unable to fit steak into the budget for 1 1/2 years, beef pot roasts for the past year or so, and now even ground hamburger is almost impossible to find at a normal price, it tastes like a wonderfully strong, rich (but not grisly), almost exotic meat. now.

My family never ate a lot of steak, but I never thought we'd eat so little it would seem exotic, more so than heavily-spiced curries or soups. But when the only meat, if there's any at all, is either chicken or some thin piece of white fish, it gets dull eventually no matter how many different ways one finds to prepare it.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason steak tasted so good to me, someone who has never gone wild for it, is due to an iron deficiency caused by getting almost zero red meat in my diet. Because while I never ate a lot of red meat, I certainly ate way more than I do now, and the last time I craved red meat like this I had anemia thanks to nutritional deficits and weakness brought by a long sickness.
Either way, if or when steaks are affordable again, I'm going to give myself heart disease by eating red meat all the time like a man from the Silent Generation back in his middle age. The shittier the economy gets the more I understand why people who lived through a depression valued things like being able to afford more expensive meats. If I could afford steak every week, I'd feel rich.

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First steak we've eaten in a year and a half thanks to a gift. A real nice sirloin.I've never been huge on steak, but having been unable to fit steak into the budget for 1 1/2 years, beef pot roasts for the past year or so, and now even ground hamburger is almost impossible to find at a normal price, it tastes like a wonderfully strong, rich (but not grisly), almost exotic meat. now.

My family never ate a lot of steak, but I never thought we'd eat so little it would seem exotic, more so than heavily-spiced curries or soups. But when the only meat, if there's any at all, is either chicken or some thin piece of white fish, it gets dull eventually no matter how many different ways one finds to prepare it.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason steak tasted so good to me, someone who has never gone wild for it, is due to an iron deficiency caused by getting almost zero red meat in my diet. Because while I never ate a lot of red meat, I certainly ate way more than I do now, and the last time I craved red meat like this I had anemia thanks to nutritional deficits and weakness brought by a long sickness.
Either way, if or when steaks are affordable again, I'm going to give myself heart disease by eating red meat all the time like a man from the Silent Generation back in his middle age. The shittier the economy gets the more I understand why people who lived through a depression valued things like being able to afford more expensive meats. If I could afford steak every week, I'd feel rich.
All I have to say is chuck, chuck, chuck, chuck, chuck, chuck, chuck, chuck, and chuck. Seriously. Best value currently available.

Dwight Frye

I’ve been very…naughty
kiwifarms.net
Curiosity got the better of me and I tried one of Arby’s new burgers supposedly made from American Wagyu beef.

As expected, not very impressive. Better than I expected (at least it’s not McDonald’s or Burger King tier) but you’d have to be completely dense if you think that’s actual wagyu beef they’re using

Cloaca Rimjob

Cum burp
kiwifarms.net
518HTsp927L._AC_SY580_.jpg
Made this with a ton of milk and butter then caramelized a whole onion for a topping, it was sublime.

Water Helen Water

kiwifarms.net
Had to exchange my old pool key for a new one and they had some pool party going with free hot dogs and hamburgers, so I had one of each of those wrapped in lettuce. Typical suburban grill tier stuff but cooked pretty well since I'm pretty sure the HOA paid the Mexican groundskeepers to run the grill since they're a bunch of old ladies. They hooked me up with one of their grilled jalapenos too.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
was on a costco run, got a whole cooked pepperoni pizza
not bad, decent enough for the price
way too dough-y though
it's that mix of not-bad, cheap price, and sorta meh dough that teaches kids to disregard pizza crust

brahsparagus

7th gen gentleman farmer of Asparagus Officinalis
kiwifarms.net
was on a costco run, got a whole cooked pepperoni pizza
not bad, decent enough for the price
way too dough-y though
it's that mix of not-bad, cheap price, and sorta meh dough that teaches kids to disregard pizza crust

Costco is actually GOAT for cheap, greasy, cafeteria style food. I bet that pizza was 1/2 the price of your local pizza place.
Sometimes if I want to eat like a pig for cheap I'll get a hotdog or polish sausage, or pizza, or poutine (leaf)
Also, in all the Costcos I've been to, you don't even need a membership to eat at the food court because its on the public side of the cashiers.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Costco is actually GOAT for cheap, greasy, cafeteria style food. I bet that pizza was 1/2 the price of your local pizza place.
Sometimes if I want to eat like a pig for cheap I'll get a hotdog or polish sausage, or pizza, or poutine (leaf)
Also, in all the Costcos I've been to, you don't even need a membership to eat at the food court because its on the public side of the cashiers.
yeah it was ten bucks so depending on the half-off deals at papajohns it's cheap
their hot dogs are great
I miss their polish sausages

AnOminous

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A batch of falafel with basically nothing else with it. And a burrito with refried beans and rice and chopped (sweet) multicolor peppers marinated in Tabasco with a bit of sour cream and more Tabasco at the end. And yes the refried beans were from a can. Also have made dill pickles with a bunch of mini-cukes in a one-quart Mason jar, with garlic buds and more chopped peppers, coriander seed, and a shit-ton of dill. And some extra vinegar for good measure.