What history do African descendants ACTUALLY have to be proud of?

OhGoy

i'm out
kiwifarms.net
Didn't know if this would be considered deep thoughts or not, but whatever.

Did ancient Africans actually do anything to contribute to history? Black people have obviously done some significant things (i.e the first lady millionaire was black, MLK, etc). However, if you discount the post-colonialism/imperialism days and realize that Egyptians weren't Africans, there isn't really much to tell AFAIK.

This isn't a shit-post. I am legitimately curious as to what they've contributed to history.

H

HG 400

kiwifarms.net
Africa was on at least a parity with the rest of the world up until the worm started turning around the renaissance and discovery of the Americas (and African polities were generally far more powerful and socially/technologically advanced than most European powers before then). Dominating the New World trade routes pushed Europeans into dominating the world, but white people were fairly weak and backwards compared to everyone else up till then. Axum alone could have wiped most of Europe like a dirty bum.

Pop-Tart

¡Viva la Israel!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Uhh Mali, Abyssinians, Ghana, Zulus, Songhai civilizations/empires off the top of my head. I can get more if you want.

The Abyssinian AKA Ethiopians lasted from the 1100s till Italy invaded them in WW2 . I think they invented coffee and then the Ottomans spread it everywhere. The Ghana empire traded salt and gold with Europe (if you ever saw that meme with the smug black guy from Age of Empires that is Ghana IIRC). They found stuff from the court of Richard the 3rd in the some palace in Ghana. So they at least reached some level of England for trade.

There is stuff out there if you look man. Its like how not many people do not know about the empires of South East Asian from places like Cambodia or Vietnam but they had a great regional impact that still influences others in those areas (China, india) and thus the world to this day.

A simpler way of putting it is to think of Ireland. Ireland has done very little on the world stage. But Ireland has greatly influenced many others who did. Thus they did have a tangible impact on world culture.

Last edited:

Bord

kiwifarms.net
Well Africans were the enslaved workforce responsible in early development of some countries.

It's understandable to be proud of your heritage if your descendants were strong enough to live through such harsh abuse.

However, if you discount the post-colonialism/imperialism days and realize that Egyptians weren't Africans, there isn't really much to tell AFAIK.

Egypt is in the African continent, therefore ancient Egyptians were technically African.

Gus

Interlocutor
kiwifarms.net
Beyond the ancients, I think as far as modern times go for Afro descendants in America, something to be proud of is the contributions they made to music, of which was shaped very heavily by them. Besides the negro contributors themselves, such as W.C. Handy, Scott Joplin, Ferd Morton, Charley Patton and thousands of others beyond them, a lot of white American music is formed with their tunes in mind. A prime example is Stephen Foster, who took almost every tune he had off of slaves and wrote them into his own compositions, producing songs like 'Oh, Susanna!' and 'Old Folks At Home'.

Last edited:

Malodorous Merkin

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
kiwifarms.net
You're talking about a race of people who memed up their status as "the ones who made peanut butter" to feel accomplished. :story:

They should change Colombus Day to Peanut Butter Guy Day.

Then the blacks would have two days, and that might shut them up a bit, and we could all enjoy some peanut butter, instead of just doing nothing , because nobody cares about Colombus.

Philosophy Zombie

Mekotur's favorite
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Didn't know if this would be considered deep thoughts or not, but whatever.

Did ancient Africans actually do anything to contribute to history? Black people have obviously done some significant things (i.e the first lady millionaire was black, MLK, etc). However, if you discount the post-colonialism/imperialism days and realize that Egyptians weren't Africans, there isn't really much to tell AFAIK.

This isn't a shit-post. I am legitimately curious as to what they've contributed to history.
Carthage