What if 9/11 happened today? -

Would current Americans stand up for America?

• Total voters

The handsome tard

Hyperion is working on the cure, it wont be cheap.
kiwifarms.net
I didnt find any threads that asked this question and I think this question might be a bit too big for the "What if" thread (tho if you think otherwise just let me know).

In one year its going to be the 20th anniversary of our "beloved" terrorist attack that had changed American (and the world in a way) forever. I really think America truly was a different country pre-9/11, there was this certain innocence to it. America was okay with destruction in movies, but after 9/11 it suddenly became "too real" to the point destroying buildings were censored. Either way I wont go into deep details because Im sure you guys already know all of it.

After 9/11, America took a deep injection of patriotism and to "fight back" against the enemy, boo yeah! and etc. America was hurt and americans wanted pay back, now the effects of said payback are besides the point, what is the point is the americans' reaction.

Would americans of today react the same? How would current media react? What would happen if 9/11 happened in our modern time of social media and, lets be frank here, deeply unpatriotic sentiment towards American society among the lowest and highest levels of power? Would the War on Terror even happen in this timeline?

Im just honestly quite curious as to hear what you guys have to say.

Edit: Fixed some missing words.

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Michael Jacks0n

DatBepisTho

Cryptid Farmer
kiwifarms.net
It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen in the current climate. It just wouldn't have the lasting shock that it did. America was more innocent(not exactly but it kinda fits?) back then and that sort of thing was unheard of.
Now? People would mourn while the media plays the videos of people falling to their deaths on repeat for like a month until the next challenger (see: disaster or terrorist attack) of 2020 appears.

- We're just too jaded and hardened to have the sort of reactions we had decades ago when shit hit the fan, clown world just doesn't phase people anymore.

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen in the current climate. It just wouldn't have the lasting shock that it did. America was more innocent(not exactly but it kinda fits?) back then and that sort of thing was unheard of.
Now? People would mourn for like a month until the next challenger (see: disaster or terrorist attack) of 2020 appears.
But would there be the same political and cultural ramifications? It would still be a big deal.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: DatBepisTho

DatBepisTho

Cryptid Farmer
kiwifarms.net
But would there be the same political and cultural ramifications? It would still be a big deal.
Oh definitely. We'd still have people crawling out of the woodwork to get laws passed that serve their special interest groups and we'd still see people taking it out on middle eastern-Americans, but I'm saying we'd lack the historical oomph and outrage that 9/11 originally had.

• Agree
Reactions: Michael Jacks0n

Calandrino

kiwifarms.net
Hmmm, an outside attack might help to unite Americans and Communists, like in Watchmen. Don't give them any ideas.

It has occurred to me that OBL got more sympathetic media coverage than "Nazis" do, at least by GWB's second term. More to the effect of "he's not exactly wrong about x, y, and z" than actual sympathy, but still.

Osama said:
It appeared to him [Bush] that a little girl's talk about her goat and its butting was more important than the planes and their butting of the skyscrapers.
Haha, pwned.

Michael Jacks0n

You know I'm bad, I'm bad.
kiwifarms.net
I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but my guess is that the story would blow over in a few weeks like each mass shooting that happens, and at least 50% of the country would blame Trump (or even defend the terrorists). You'd see literal WaPo or NYT headlines like, "Terrorists just destroyed [insert landmark]...and that's a good thing.", or they'd use mental gymnastics to argue that we deserved it. Almost all celebrities would be immediately tweeting, "Damn, too bad they only destroyed [insert landmark] and totally missed crashing the planes into the White House or Trump Towers."

Grog

kiwifarms.net
If 9/11 happened today it would be becaue Israel used a different false flag in 2001 so not much would have changed. I'm sure the dancers would still have danced.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: The handsome tard

The handsome tard

kiwifarms.net
I think I mentioned this before in another thread, but my guess is that the story would blow over in a few weeks like each mass shooting that happens, and at least 50% of the country would blame Trump (or even defend the terrorists). You'd see literal WaPo or NYT headlines like, "Terrorists just destroyed [insert landmark]...and that's a good thing.", or they'd use mental gymnastics to argue that we deserved it. Almost all celebrities would be immediately tweeting, "Damn, too bad they only destroyed [insert landmark] and totally missed crashing the planes into the White House or Trump Towers."
The worst part is that I know you are right. People would rather defend Bin Laden before siding with Trump and the media would surely would pretend that this was a "fair retribution" for *insert retarded reason liberals will buy inevitably*

9/11 would not be a big deal in clown world, unfortunely
How Can 9/11 Be Real If Our Eyes Aren't Real?

Joking aside, would today's America have happened without 9/11?
Assuming no equivalent to 9/11 happens in its place, I assume American would be similar to pre-9/11 America but with far less distrust and more naivety about the real world outside of the borders, I suppose in a world of social media, that would be a bad thing in the long term (not saying 9/11 was a good thing). Its just overall hard to predict how these things would go down.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
-it's Trump's fault for violent Tweets/defunding some department/Russia/any other reason
-mainstream media/commie left celebrating "the disappearance of the twin symbols of capitalism"
-the hijackers were radicalised by islamophobia/we don't know why they did it
-if you're scared to fly on airplanes now, you're a bigot
-"the trauma that Americans are now facing is the same trauma the LGBTQ+ community has faced for years"
-Qanon: Were the Podestas running a child sex ring inside the towers?
-Qanon: key Hillary Clinton witness killed in tower collapse
-Opinion: Why America had this coming

And one thing that wouldn't change from the original:
-the government hiding that Saudi Arabia was behind it

Tags
None