What if? -

Menotyou

Dead is Better
kiwifarms.net
I don't understand why welfare exists. What is the justification of the welfare state. To me it just seems like parasites leeching off of the productive elements of society but if it were modified (no welfare for criminals) it could become a way to pay people not to commit crime. Are there any other better justifications for the welfare state
Welfare bums, as I like to call them, should be required to do things like....

Pick up garbage.
Pick up dog shit.
Clean out gutters for the elderly.
Shovel city sidewalks in the winter.
Cut grass in the summer.

You know, actually work for their money.

• Dumb
Reactions: Non-Expert!

TitanWest

Based Penguin Guy
kiwifarms.net
Welfare bums, as I like to call them, should be required to do things like....

Pick up garbage.
Pick up dog shit.
Clean out gutters for the elderly.
Shovel city sidewalks in the winter.
Cut grass in the summer.

You know, actually work for their money.
I think Japan has their welfare-users hand out handwipes at subway stations or something like that.

Reactions: Menotyou

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
What If slavery had never existed as a form of economic growth, would we have had the Industrial Revolution at all? And would we even have all the economic, technological and cultural benefits we have today if it were not for the centuries of cruelty and barbaric slave labor and racism to slaves working for our benefits of evolving the industry? What do you guys think?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
What If slavery had never existed as a form of economic growth, would we have had the Industrial Revolution at all? And would we even have all the economic, technological and cultural benefits we have today if it were not for the centuries of cruelty and barbaric slave labor and racism to slaves working for our benefits of evolving the industry? What do you guys think?
Slavery is ultimately inefficient. We probably would have got to the Industrial Revolution sooner without it as a crutch, because we would have needed to.

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
Slavery is ultimately inefficient. We probably would have got to the Industrial Revolution sooner without it as a crutch, because we would have needed to.
Hmmm, I’m not so sure, I mean we needed the huge amounts of illegal slaves to do all sorts of manual labour jobs in factories and picking cotton and oakum for entire industries thats huge complexity and prolific activity required too many people doing the most basic and labour intensive jobs that would be impossible to maintain with too few staff and only middle or upper class educated people running them doing little physical labour and all the mental work that comes in running a profitable business. No, working class labourers we’re always needed for the metal food and textiles and clothing industry and would do whatever they could for pretty bad wages only enough to really eta okay and keep warm, which is good but it wasn’t a hugely exciting life. I mean these people were damn hard working and pushed to their absolute limits in the 19th to early 20th century before welfare laws and experienced harsh working conditions and often punishing or bullying bosses through corporal punishment that would cause theme severe pain if they couldn’t keep up with production demands. But despite all this they still did what they could to support the families they had and tried to make the most satisfying life they could, some even educating themselves through self teaching and even rising through the ranks to wealth id they were lucky enough. Yep, we owe a huge amount to slaves and labourers from the 18th through to the mud 20th century, they’re agony helped increase production for clothes food research development into new medicine technology and cultural change, and without their sacrifices we honestly would be in a far more brutal and less advanced backwards world than we already are.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Hmmm, I’m not so sure, I mean we needed the huge amounts of illegal slaves to do all sorts of manual labour jobs in factories and picking cotton and oakum for entire industries thats huge complexity and prolific activity required too many people doing the most basic and labour intensive jobs that would be impossible to maintain with too few staff and only middle or upper class educated people running them doing little physical labour and all the mental work that comes in running a profitable business.
No, we didn't. There was nothing about the cotton gin that was so revolutionary it couldn't have been invented as many as a couple hundred years before it was, if anyone had been motivated to do it. Also working class people who actually earn a living contribute to the economy in ways other than labor by buying and choosing goods. Slaves don't. Slavery was never a good thing, just a slightly better way of using prisoners of war than just murdering them.

Non-Expert!

Check your immunoprivelege.
kiwifarms.net
What if people on this forum weren't so smart, bored, and happy to veer off into conversations about the cotton gin?

drfuzzyballs

kiwifarms.net
What If slavery had never existed as a form of economic growth, would we have had the Industrial Revolution at all? And would we even have all the economic, technological and cultural benefits we have today

hmmm... There are plenty of artistic works; books and such written about slavery but people like to invent things and industry would have evolved even with slavery, in a way industrial machines are just artificial slaves. I don't have to feed or take care of any of the shit around my house and I can replace it for a lot cheaper than a human being would cost

drfuzzyballs

kiwifarms.net
What if you were offered by someone to find out the exact time and way that you would die?

That raises more questions like if the death can be avoided. If it cannot be avoided it would help with my financial planning greatly as to weather or not I should bother with saving for the future and if I should have kids if I won't be around long enough to properly raise them

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
That raises more questions like if the death can be avoided. If it cannot be avoided it would help with my financial planning greatly as to weather or not I should bother with saving for the future and if I should have kids if I won't be around long enough to properly raise them
Also if you could thwart it. For instance, suppose you couldn't avoid it at all, but you knew you'd die in 30 years of whatever. You could do whatever you liked in the meantime, like go do super heroic things because you'd know you wouldn't die.

Reactions: Strayserval

Strayserval

In the kitchen wrist twisting like it’s stir fry!
kiwifarms.net
What if humans never formed religions?
i wonder what many societies around the globe and throughout time would look like or if they would even exist in the first place, i could only imagine considering that one thing humans have had almost from the start is a religion some form of god or gods that acted as a sort of oversight for the formation of things like governments, great constructions, many virtuous acts, even the formation of social structures that vehemently deny god in all forms Communist governments for an example have to on some level acknowledge that religion is a major factor in the formation of many things and a way for people to structure themselves for better or worse.

ElAbominacion

Somewhere in the Swamps south of the Mexico border
kiwifarms.net
If, by Rudyard Kipling.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Tags
None