What is an acceptable level of preparation to be "cooking"?

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

MalwareBytes has, again, blocked both the .net and .cc domains for the Kiwi Farms. Complain to them, not me.
This is a deep problem I have been grappling with. At what point does it become cooking, and not merely preparing a meal?

We pretty much all use some level of pre-preparation in our meals. The vast majority of people do not make meals spring forth entirely from the ground, Minecraft-style, but harvesting their own crops and slaughtering their own animals. Similarly, most of us presumably don't make our own pasta from flour, or make our own ground chuck from a giant slab of beef.

But at what point does the simplification of the task turn it from an act of cooking to a mere act of warming the food? And, does the nature of the heat source change things? Is heating pre-prepared pasta in the microwave less or the same as warming vegetables in a pot over the stove?

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
When you're changing the protein and/or enzyme structure and/or configuration of the food through the application of heat, you are cooking it. Basically you're crossing a line that can't be crossed backwards (at least not easily since you can, hypothetically, un-boil a hard boiled egg).

Gustav Schuchardt

Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it's cooking if you're following a recipe with raw ingredients and using an oven/wok etc.

If you're just reheating or, God forbid, rehydrating, something then no.