What is the Point of the Internet - lmao it's just to call people fags and niggers

• ATTN NEW USERS: I strongly suggest using a real, alter-ego email address from a reputable provider and using a Password Manager to securely keep tack of it. If you forget your email and password I cannot restore your account. These are good practices in general so stop being lazy.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Typhon was a giant, and is best known for being the god-slayer that challenged zeus, in some myths almost winning. After his defeat he would become the father of destructive storms.

The concept of snakes is a very interesting one because depending on the mythology it can mean different things. Although I have been told that the rod of asclepius actually doesnt have snakes, but a different animal. I'm not sure of that.
Generally tho, snakes are associated with a) the earth b) evil/corruption c) chaos. All throughout mythology and theology the concept of an evil snake keeps reappearing, which then is smited by a hero/god. Apollo and the python of delphi. Thor and Jormungardr. Zeus and Typhon. St. George and the dragon. Beowulf, Heracles, Siegfried. I'm not an expert on eastern (indo-european) mythologies but parallels probably can be drawn as well there.

Air/sky on the other hand is often connected with the sun, good, order etc etc. Apollo was the god of the sun and the sky. Thor of thunder. etc etc. Maybe it is meant in a way of perversion of the abilities of the bringers of order?

I'm not an expert in astrology so I'll ask a friend what the thinks about the age of aquarius.

Generally tho, the ancient myths are just that bit too correct to be just mere coincidence. They're also waaay to complicated to be a mere supernatural explanation of natural events. (e.g. the sun moves because its apollos chariot). In the same vein I think the Mayans were absolutely right and an era ended in 2012. It wasn't the flashy end of the world like hollywood likes to depict, but something far more insidious.

It certainly is worth it just to take a step back sometimes, to step away from the internet and all distractions and just contemplate life when out in nature. You don't have to become an ascetic who fasts fourty days (I'd even advice against it). Even if its only an hour spent in nature with no distractions, it is certainly worth it.
That's the thing, all this stuff seems too much to be a coincidence, while obviously there are rational limitations to how true this stuff is, at the same time, like I said, it's too much to be mere coincidence.

The whole Mayan 2012 thing is a perfect example of that, there was a time in which I would have dismissed that as pure hokum, as I would have dismissed most of this stuff, but now with the benefit of hindsight we see just how much things have changed since 2012 and you ask yourself the question, can that be just a big coincidence? It really doesn't seem like that's possible, 2012 may not have been the end of the world but it was a date of some significance to the Mayans and sure enough, it marked something of significance.

It's just freaky, I don't know what it all means but the modern world has taught me not to smugly dismiss anything off hand anymore no matter how absurd, when you live in times as crazy as this anything starts to seem possible, no matter how crazy.

teriyakiburns

I'm a really big fan of Bill Murray
kiwifarms.net
Ask me thirty years ago and I would have said it's a great revolution in communications that would bring people together in shared interests and facilitate the spread of free thought. Fifteen and I would have said it's broken the control of the media over our lives and given people access to all the information they need to make truly informed choices, and fight back against tyranny and oppression. Five... at least it's bringing like-minded people together?

I think I'm not strictly wrong in any of these statements, but now I've only got one more finger left on the monkey's paw.

All today's internet is for is making people angry and stupid.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing that is incredible about the internet is how it preserves the past, you can't even really estimate how much stuff would just be lost if not for the internet.

One of the most amazing experiences I've had online was when I looked up the Disney ride 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, which had long been closed and saw photos on an entire website dedicated to the ride that an employee took when they had drained the ride before demolition in 2004, that's exactly the kind of incredible stuff you never would have been able to see otherwise were it not for the internet.

Lemmingwise

Hands off my purse
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is the Point of the Internet
Seriously, is this the greatest invention since fire or is it the end of humanity?
Every invention has been considered the end of humanity. People were afraid that the high speed of trains would accelerate bodies os that our spirit wouldn't keep up. Monks were conceened with reading because someone appeared to disappear his attention / consciousness from the room.

Besides, without internet, would you have this?

Or this?

Or even this?

Okay I'm out of boomermemes.

stupid frog

Married to NigKid
kiwifarms.net
Look at the positive side.
Most people are too stupid to use their mobile internet browser, and are stuck to apps. They can't even access this site because it's too "complicated".

Anyway, all the internet is homogenous, but why am I bothering to tell you? I know you know. We all fucking know.
Sure, Myspace was stupid and annoying, but at least it allowed people to be creative. Now you have retards who think selecting a pink background on their Twitch account is a big fucking achievement (see: Kevin Gibes).

I will morn the loss of Geocities forever. All the creativity from the internet is gone, and the few times you find someone doing something unique they will eventually be ruined by their fandom or money.

I still remember shit before Google. Some teacher was like, check this out it's so cool! Why would I use it, I already have Yahoo! search engine and Lycos.

Thanks for reading my dumb half asleep post, in which I miss the pre social media/app/smart phone based internet.
Some people don't even have computers, and only use their phones. Could you fucking imagine living such a life? Sounds like a nightmare.

AnOminous

Only the kindest and friendliest of all Goodmans
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still remember shit before Google. Some teacher was like, check this out it's so cool! Why would I use it, I already have Yahoo! search engine and Lycos.
I miss the Northern Light search engine. Something with the database of Google and the search syntax of NL would have been great.

SSj_Ness

Time to rape organized crime
kiwifarms.net
Internet used to be cool but it has definitely been abused to the detriment of society. It's mainly social media, if we could just nuke that then it'd probably be salvageable.

Cabelaz

Hang ‘Em High.
kiwifarms.net
A lot worse things have happened. We let John The Baptist die to a horny stepsis.

Its surreal how fast everything spiralled down in recent years, and now I can only thank god I'm not living in the west, but we share same network and if I was excited about it before, now it feels horrendous.
I can't keep up with all the new bullshit internet has to offer. I want to retire outta here to read books.

And if this is only the beginning of information and internet century, what horrendous future can we expect?
Humanity will never be the same, can you believe that design of web site, be it facebook, twitter, instagram, can define millions of people behavior on a scale which only things like the Bible was allowed to do before? Worse, these sites was done without any intentions to have such control. And if one properly understand possibilities web could bring, I don't even want to imagine.

And what awaits us in 20, 50 years? Social networks and forums with hundreds of dead accounts, web grave? Supposedly they exist already, nobody care much about it. Dead accounts is nothing compared to possible cardinal changes in how everything online works, we couldn't predict but you can safely bet its going to be for worse.

But if stop being this apocalyptic, if people like you survived thus far, there may be some meme dna in the net, some societal fuse which prevents society from going full insane without nobody able to argue ciconia lol.

Maybe internet would be burned to the ground in very cyberpunk way and re-estabilish as better self, who knows. I wonder if such sci-fi fiction exists, something I would read with much interest. it was destroyed by AI in CP2077 though

Just found out about Project Xanadu, its failed web project from 60s, what an ironic story.
The Xanadu® project did not "fail to invent HTML". HTML is precisely what we were trying to PREVENT...
Maybe internet really should be reserved for
chronicaling and creating the achievements, documents, and discussions * of all mankind ( * scientific, political, artistic, literary, mathematical, personal, social, religious, etc.).
not for
useless complication, gimcracks and geegaws to keep you distracted from what really matters
And all what those utopistic yet failed boomers have to say.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've become convinced that most of what we understand to be human social interaction was never honest in the first place, and long before the internet ever existed, 99% of the conversations people had between each other were shit that neither of them actually believed or cared about. I think most social etiquette and expectations are based around facilitating the "feeling" of being social and communicating, while minimizing the actual act of communication as little as possible because being honest and thinking something all the way through is icky and make a brain hurt.

The internet makes this kind of thing much easier because of the isolation it affords us, but if the internet disappeared tomorrow, we would just default back to that same restrictive etiquette and talking past each other so we could still get that dopamine hit of socializing without actually socializing. The damage of the internet is just a consequence of this loophole in human psychology coming to fruition in a particularly noticable way.

People hate each other, and the whole "people are a social animal" thing is bullshit. We naturally gravitate towards minimizing communication with each other at every turn. We evolved to exist in very small, tight-knit groups where there was little talk or need to dwell on things. Up until very recently 90% of the average person's time was spent working or sleeping, meaning even in large civilizations socialization was still very limited amongst the common population. The internet is extremely antisocial, but that's because the people using it are antisocial by nature.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Twitter is particularly good at this because of its awful, brain stultifying format. It is truly a case of the medium being the message, but unfortunately the message is "hurrrrr durrrrr."
Honestly, Twitter gets a bad rap, if you follow decent people it's a cool website, the problem lies with scumbags using the site for what it was never meant to be used for, not so much the site itself.

The scumbags on Twitter have always been out there, they weren't created by Twitter, Twitter just gave them power like never before, there's a group of feminists who as far back as the early 2000s would rent out a billboard in LA bitching and moaning about the lack of female representation in the Oscars, Gail Simone complained about "women in refrigerators" as far back as the 90s.

The fundamental issue doesn't lie with any particular website as it does with the fact that simply everyone is online now and evil people would abuse whatever site they could.

Elaine Miller

BPD, Schizo, British, Discord grooming victim
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No idea how I came across this but I think one of the biggest problems with the internet is the lack of education surrounding it.
As a zoomer cow, I know most of my generation grew up completely unguided on how to behave online. Social media was considered very new and was growing faster than most other inventions in society, leaving behind proper education on how to use the internet, & clear cut internet laws & information on how to protect your data.
I think our generation has been done a huge disservice. The older generations like to make the excuse that technology was too new and fast-growing to keep up with, however, I believe that it is the older generation/authorities responsibility to handle fast growing trends, inventions/technology & to educate young people, & society in general, on how to behave, use, and learn about such things. The internet being new was not an excuse for adults to just not learn about it.
That being said, there is a huge responsibility on us and basic common sense. I was stupid online & paid the prices, however part of me believes that if I had been educated when I was much younger on how to behave online, I probably wouldn’t have had such a disaster. Do I blame anyone but myself? No. Do I wish someone had sat me down, given me a slap around the face and taken away my device at age 12? Yes.