What is the purpose of doxing? -

Elaine Benes

I'm queen of the castle!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Now, I can understand why doxing someone would be appropriate in some cases, for example if the individual posed a serious threat to themselves or someone else, or in other situations where it's important that certain authorities keep tabs on those people, but in non-extreme cases I just don't really see the point.

It's one thing to discuss a lolcow's eccentricities in general, but going out of the way to dox them seems like it would do more harm than good to those involved, opening them up for targeted harassment which is something that this website discourages, and rightfully so.

Any other perspectives?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Now, I can understand why doxing someone would be appropriate in some cases, for example if the individual posed a serious threat to themselves or someone else, or in other situations where it's important that certain authorities keep tabs on those people, but in non-extreme cases I just don't really see the point.

It's one thing to discuss a lolcow's eccentricities in general, but going out of the way to dox them seems like it would do more harm than good to those involved, opening them up for targeted harassment which is something that this website discourages, and rightfully so.

Any other perspectives?
Pure meanness.

bbpoison

kiwifarms.net
When Julie Terryberry killed herself and some people basically said "Good, that dumb bitch deserved it, lmao" I think some people live such terrible lives that they get joy from ruining, infecting others. It's like some kind of poison.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
so that if someone like terryberry shows up with a fucking black eye some random local ween can call the cops or whatever.

so someone dangerous can be tracked (pedos, Tommy)

to keep track of scams- are they homeless but on the lease of a luxury apartment?

sheer meanness, too.

• Feels
Reactions: KraftEagle

WhatNemesisMeans

Goddamn degenerates...
kiwifarms.net
The doxxing in itself doesn't ruin lives. It's the cancerous shit that's linked to the doxxed individuals that does them in. See, if I were to be doxxed, it wouldn't ruin my life because, other than posting on this website (which is pretty obscure regardless of what cows would have us believe), I do not have retarded content linked to my name. I do not have a metric ton of furry lolicon fanfiction and embarassing pictures of me eating shit and harassing Taylor Swift on Twitter spread all over the Internet.

99% of the time only sick or dumb fucks get the dox hammer, so it's all good.

Last edited:

Pikimon

Exceptionally Overachieving Mexican
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When Julie Terryberry killed herself and some people basically said "Good, that dumb bitch deserved it, lmao" I think some people live such terrible lives that they get joy from ruining, infecting others. It's like some kind of poison.
he says unironically on the same website

WhatNemesisMeans

Goddamn degenerates...
kiwifarms.net
Good, that bitch was a total moron.

BadaBadaBoom

This is The End, beautiful friend.
kiwifarms.net
It's a fairly efficient and almost guaranteed way to bring abusive/cancerous people who feel untouchable down a peg. It destroys annonymity which from a psychological perspective is a lot of the reason people think they can post online what they'd never say in real life. Even with pretty large online foot prints that can be tied together, not being able to connect it to a real person makes certain individuals feel empowered to act worse than normal. Doxing usually counters all that not from a "here's their address go an murder them" angle but from a "ok if you want to go around acting like a dick, at least put your money where your mouth is and stop hiding."

KerryDixon9

kiwifarms.net

Any other perspectives?
Most of the lolcows I watch live in their own bullshit fantasy world and are reporters of that fantasy world. While most people would suspect that the lolcows aren't very reliable, some people will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Because of doxing the insane fantasy worlds of Brianna Wu and Secret Gamer Girl have been exposed. But even though Brianna Wu has been proven to be a crazy, lying scamster she still gets major coverage in serious media outlets.

Wu and Alley are crazy retards, but their doxing has enabled the world to see just how many lies they tell. Just imagine how much more lies they'd get away with if they weren't doxed.

I cannot support doxing for the purpose of causing harm, but doxing to shine light on the lies of lolcows? Kiwi Farms needs doxing.

• Winner
Reactions: cuddle striker

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net

Any other perspectives?
Honestly, I could see doxing as both a blessing and a curse when it comes to being a lolcow. More of the former if said cow either chimps out gloriously, is a pedophile or even both. Seeing that people like Sick Nick and JTM have proven that to us time and again. And in a lot of cases, the doxing is the fault of the individual in question not covering their tracks well enough (or at all).

The curse part comes when the harassment comes to the rest of the family if the cow is stupid enough to share their e-mails/phone numbers too.

aquariumwater

kiwifarms.net
Eliminating anonymity is the main reason I see. Giving people (i.e. potential dates or employers) who google ratkings or lolcows the ability to read up on the actual person is sort of a public service. Giving online communities a way to shame consistently disruptive members away from posting is a secondary and much less important reason.

Mainly I feel that if it reduces the cow's ability to use sob stories to scam people, or gives potential sexual partners a heads up on their furry scat fanfic, or informs people they like to punch "nazis" unprovoked (and if you express anything other than 100% unwavering love and support of girlcock, then you are an automatic nazi) then it's a net positive.

The types of people that attract Kiwis' attention may not generally be outright dangers to society, but they are consistently shady, shifty, belligerent, and dishonest. They love abusing the legal system, smearing other people's names, and siccing internet annoyance squads on anyone that catches their eye.

So long as their legal names and various aliases are all cataloged in one spot alongside all of their online behaviors, it gives normal people a fighting chance at avoiding them and all the aggravations that come with interacting with cows irl.

Zeorus

voilà la guimbarde
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Eliminating anonymity is the main reason I see. Giving people (i.e. potential dates or employers) who google ratkings or lolcows the ability to read up on the actual person is sort of a public service. Giving online communities a way to shame consistently disruptive members away from posting is a secondary and much less important reason.

Mainly I feel that if it reduces the cow's ability to use sob stories to scam people, or gives potential sexual partners a heads up on their furry scat fanfic, or informs people they like to punch "nazis" unprovoked (and if you express anything other than 100% unwavering love and support of girlcock, then you are an automatic nazi) then it's a net positive.

The types of people that attract Kiwis' attention may not generally be outright dangers to society, but they are consistently shady, shifty, belligerent, and dishonest. They love abusing the legal system, smearing other people's names, and siccing internet annoyance squads on anyone that catches their eye.

So long as their legal names and various aliases are all cataloged in one spot alongside all of their online behaviors, it gives normal people a fighting chance at avoiding them and all the aggravations that come with interacting with cows irl.
Precisely. By the same token, the reason that doxing is as scary as it is to most people is this elimination of anonymity. Our society still hasn't entirely decided whether what happens online is "real" or not because most people fall in the middle (that is, online activity is real but somehow less real than IRL activities). Doxing shatters that barrier in a very frightening way by letting the victim know that they don't have any meaningful privacy in the world we now live in.

Un Platano

big blatano xDDDD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doxing doesn't cause cause harassment so much as it does the fear of it. Unless you're someone who really deserves it like Nick Bate, or you've won the ire of a deranged tranny with a knife, doxing won't get you harassed except for maybe JULAY calls and other ebin weenery. If you're an angry autistic furry with a diaper fetish and your address gets posted here, no one really cares about your dox, and they'd have to be more autistic than you to go through the trouble of hunting you down for it. It's the idea of what doxing is, and the reactions it provokes, that anyone cares about.

Tags
None