What killed it for you?

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
This thread is for discussing what caused you to give up on a TV Show or movie. I'll start with a few things from my TV viewing experience.

Arthur: When they did that special with the Backstreet Boys (or Nsync I can't really remember which)
Columbo: When the title character spent forty-five minutes bitching about his sinuses due to the fact he slept with an open window.
Junkyard Wars: When the show began obviously telegraphing which team would lose.
Mythbusters: When the show became more focused on explosions and Comedic moments with the build team.
Sherlock Holmes (Jeremy Brett version): The atrocious version of The Sussex Vampire. While the show had done episodes that were somewhat deviated from canon, The Sussex Vampire was just painful to sit through. However unlike the other four shows I mentioned I'm a bit more forgiving of this one due to Jeremy Brett being in very ill-health at the time and the show trying to make things easier on the actor. I'll also point out that unlike the other four I still watch the Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes as I consider his Sherlock Holmes the best one that existed.

TheClorax

kiwifarms.net
Season 2 of the Legend of Korra.
Awful animation.
Horrible origin of the Avatar.
Korra is a cunt.
Wan acted like either a jackass or a straight up villain.
The entire Equalist threat from Book 1 is completely gone.
Not to mention that horrible ending that over the next 2 seasons almost dedicated their time to proving that keeping those portals open was a stupid idea.

Dysnomia

Anime Avatar
kiwifarms.net
Rockstar: The movie should have ended when Chris Cole passed the mic to a fan and walked off the stage. But it had to keep going on showing him going to Seattle to chase the oncoming freight train of grunge and the alternative scene. That was lame considering how much flack many 80s bands got for alienating whatever audience they had left to pander to 14 year olds who just wanted to hear Nirvana and Pearl Jam anyway. I remember people laughing at Warrant for suddenly wearing flannel. Did the producers realise that they made the main character into what amounts to a long standing joke amongst 80s metal and hair band fans?

Chris couldn't be himself in Steel Dragon so he quits. That was cool. That was inspiring. Just have him walk off the stage and let the audience imagine what he does with the rest of his life.

I mainly watched it for the cameos and the soundtrack anyway.

ForTheHoard

Tiocfaidh ár lá
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Weeds. After the second season, the situations Nancy kept getting into were Los Zetas levels of criminal drama when she was supposed to be a high end suburban weed dealer. It got too ridiculous to give a pass.

Draza

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dragon Ball Super: Vegito fusion only last for a hour.

Season 2 of the Legend of Korra.
Awful animation.
Horrible origin of the Avatar.
Korra is a cunt.
Wan acted like either a jackass or a straight up villain.
The entire Equalist threat from Book 1 is completely gone.
Not to mention that horrible ending that over the next 2 seasons almost dedicated their time to proving that keeping those portals open was a stupid idea.
Mako and Bolin are weak cunts.

Last edited by a moderator:

RIP_SANITY

I DID NOTHING WRONG DOOD
kiwifarms.net
Simpsons:
IMO, S1-10 was the golden age. It went downhill for me due to 3 major reasons:
1) The tone changing dramatically to what felt like a shitty cartoon (the jokes also became a lot simpler and dumber and the plots became r.etarded as fuck.)
2) Character assassination: most notably with Homer who became an asshole, but you also have Moe becoming this loveshy guy, Burns actually wasn't a sociopath, and Barney became a coffee drinker (temporarily but still it counts)
3) Overabundance of celebrity cameos and making entire episodes based on them. Previously, while Simpsons did have celebrity cameos, it wasn't as overabused as nowadays and the show imo went from satirizing the famous to praising the famous. (Anyone remember WOW, TONY HAWK or the PRIME MINISTER TONY BLAIR cameos? The Tony Hawk one is particularly cringeworthy)

As an additional reason: the animation and coloring also went to shit in more recent times. I get it was done to cut costs but it really is cheap looking now. Just compare a modern Simpsons episode's intro to a say Season 5 episode intro to see in full detail what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

RIP_SANITY

I DID NOTHING WRONG DOOD
kiwifarms.net
The setting of Star Trek is a mess with the JJ Abrams movies and the Discovery series.

"Behind the Laughter" was the end of an era.
I'll give credit that S11 did have some funny episodes: Homer dueling the Colonel, Behind the Laughter and the Treehouse of Horror X were prob S11's best episodes.
It's just that S11 has way too much shit in it to be salvageable as a whole or be considered as part of the golden era. Not just the character assassination episodes (IIRC, all of them happened in S11 although Jerkass Homer did start around S10 albeit not fully. His was more of a gradual change.) but also just crap episodes in general that rank among the worst of the series (Maude's death, Kill the Alligator and run, Saddlesore Galactica just to name a few)

The Fifth Waltz

Thoticus Maximus of the Roman Imperial Legion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Trailer Park Boys.

It was incredibly relatable when I was a young child.
When it hit Netflix I could see the decline in writing and of course all the obvious cameos. (Snoop dogg is the only one I forgive)
Now John Dunsworth aka Jim Lahey is dead. There's no point to keep the show running if the main antagonist is gone. :(

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's just that S11 has way too much shit in it to be salvageable as a whole or be considered as part of the golden era.)
I've said something like this before, but after Phil Hartman was murdered, the show just wasn't the same anymore.

I guess I should've said that "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo" was the end of the "golden era." After "Behind the Laughter," the show really went downhill.

Wraith

Made pure again from the hardest game on earth.
kiwifarms.net
Star Wars: -
I grew up with this stuff. I hated the prequels, but it didn't kill it for me. It was the exact moment some jag from Disney thought he needed to go on twitter and say the new order or whatever it's called from the sequels was a white supremacist organization is when the entire franchise died to me. Making fun of how bad the prequels were was fun (with Red Letter Media, etc.) but the moment some jag made things totally political, and didn't get fired, that's when it was over.
The moment a neutral property says, "We don't want you!" when you did not a damn thing wrong... yeah you can be nuked for all I care.

admiral

Driftin' n griftin'
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doctor who- Amy and Rory. Maybe I just grew out if the show, but somehow I couldn't get into that first season with Matt Smith. There was too much forced wackiness and the characters didn't feel real anymore. I watched maybe half of it then stopped bothering. I know my parents still watch it, but I don't really care anymore.
I still like the Christopher Eccleston season best- it feels more mature in a way, even though the plot is significantly less convoluted than later seasons.