What kind of coffee do you like?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Which is the best kind of coffee?

• Cappuccino

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Caffè mocha

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Iced Lattè

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Espressino

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Black Coffee

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Biggimus Bettimus

kiwifarms.net
I just got a French Press and have some crappy no-name coffee to use in it and, as expected, it's no good. However, I'm excited to get actual good beanz and have some good coffee, so I can save money on energy drinks and the like!

ETA: the most fun "fancy coffee" I've made at home is a dalgona coffee, which is nice as it only uses instant - the sort I usually have. Back home, I had espresso and stuff all the time, froth that malck, et cetera, but I can't afford a nice espresso machine. I usually just have instant coffee with hot choccy powder to mask the taste, lol*. If anybody here only has instant and wants to try a fun+tasty treat, try dalgona! I usually put chili and cocoa powder on top, and if I have a chocolate bar around, I cut it up and use as a sprinkle. Really fun and only takes about 10 minutes of hand-whipping. (Not sure about how long it'd take with a mixer)

Here's a fun video by a guy I like on YT about some interesting spins on the dalgona! I know the trend is wayyy past over, but as it warms up again it's nice to have a cheap+easy alternative to iced coffee/frappes (milkshakes pretending to be coffee).

*I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but the crappy instant coffee I use tastes kinda soy-sauce-y.

Last edited:

Ciscoipphone

They're GRRREAT!!
kiwifarms.net
normal coffee, not the disgusting sour hipster coffee made by a guy with a beard and tattoos and costs $12 a cup

Colombian/Brazil - good (I have even tasted ones fucked up by hipster roasters who don't know what they are doing)

Ethiopian/African - just awful and overpriced

Brahma

kiwifarms.net
I kind of just like coffee generally I'm not fussy.

I've a cafetiere and a moka and an aeropress for camping and I'll make cold brew in a kilner jar but...

They're all occasional used when I'm bothered by the effort.

I mainly just drink instant, whatever is on sale. Gold blend or cafe noir or those little metal tins of "gourmet" instant. Whatever is on sale when I'm shopping I don't really discriminate. If I'm in Aldi or lydl I'll grab their ripoff metal tins.

5-6 tea spoons of that in a mug and I'm good to go. Usually black because I'm used to drinking it like that in work where I don't like to buy milk that's only going to go off and sugar attracts flies.

Lame Entropy

Cyberbullying should be a federal offense
kiwifarms.net
Quantity over quality. I drink it too much to splurge on nice coffee so I just buy the biggest size of Folgers available. I just add 1 tbsp of sugar and cream.

asr

kiwifarms.net
I prefer lighter roasts mainly and naturally processed beans from Ethiopia have always been a long time favorite of mine, but I do enjoy South American beans and a slightly more medium roast from time to time, I brew mainly via frenchpress and v60, black no sugar. Price can be an issue but I've invested in buying in bulk and storing via freezer and special containers, eventually I plan on roasting my own beans for maximum savings, and freedom to experiment to my taste.

TFT-A9

I identify as a 55-ton quadmech, shitlord
kiwifarms.net
One of the reasons I think a lot of African origin stuff is kind of crap is that they almost certainly cut any arabica (if present at ALL) with robusta beans, and robusta is the cheap shit. Robusta is the most common bean out of Africa to my knowledge, and I suspect it's because robusta trees are less fussy about care/upkeep and more productive under sub-standard growing conditions. Usually robusta gets reserved for espresso mixes and so on because overroasting the things supposedly hides their shortcomings.

Funko Pop

kiwifarms.net
There is nothing like coffee from a small donut place. It's always just burned a bit which adds to the taste.

knobslobbin

survivorship bias
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sometimes I'm a bit of a coffee slob too. I add water (it's a concentrate and needs dilution), chocolate milk and nutmilk based hazelnut creamer to this

coffee.jpeg

It's good cold or heated up in the microwave. It's less acidic than regular drip coffee and guarantees I take a big coffee dump every morning. Although probably not as fool proof as:

Last edited:

thejackal

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly pretty much anything other than unleaded will do the trick. But in an ideal world it would be a machiatto with just a touch of cream.

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
Switched to some somewhat milder and organic (and maybe even fairly paid) beans because of white guilt.
1kg was 10€. It better be good.

KaibaCorp ToeSucker

Seto Kaiba plz let me suck on your toes!
kiwifarms.net
For me it's always the good ol mocha.
I learned how to make it about a year ago and I take it on the semi-sweet side.

Instant coffee is the only way to go for me, but I enjoy Dunkin Doughnuts peppermint, thin mint, and mocha coolata's when I go. Starbucks to me is just a little too hard on the syrup. Anyone know if the coconut girls cout drink at dunkins is good? I assume it's going to be in season here shortly.

asr

kiwifarms.net
One of the reasons I think a lot of African origin stuff is kind of crap is that they almost certainly cut any arabica (if present at ALL) with robusta beans, and robusta is the cheap shit. Robusta is the most common bean out of Africa to my knowledge, and I suspect it's because robusta trees are less fussy about care/upkeep and more productive under sub-standard growing conditions. Usually robusta gets reserved for espresso mixes and so on because overroasting the things supposedly hides their shortcomings.
I think that undoubtedly happens to a degree hence why it's better to hedge your bets on lots from people you can trust to some degree, there are co ops, and farmers that I trust well in terms of quality they output. If you happen to be unlucky and get a bag with mostly robusta beans, assuming it's not a shit roast (dark as shit) you can tell pretty easily from just doing a cupping. If you're roasting you can tell when you take them out (color differences) assuming they're mixed. This is where either roasting at home comes into play or buying from a dependable roaster you trust. There are quality checks along the supply line as well. No roaster wants to buy 10s of kilos at auction for shit beans. Region in Africa matters ALOT as well. Ethiopia for example (setting aside current geopolitical issues they have) has been very high quality, for a long time. In fact arabica grows naturally there (was even found there iirc)

Edit: spelling errors and info

Last edited: