What kind of history sperg are you? -

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
Industrial Revolution, WW1 and anything involving with Bronze Age, Persian, Roman, and Muslim history and also Tamerlane. Edit: Also the Banana Wars : ) : )

Been looking into reading more about Gnostic Christianity, like the Gnostic Scriptures. You familiar with them?

I love WW1 history, binge watched through BBC The Great War series, very touching and emotional. Everything about WW1 just fascinates me, and the Ottoman Empire's participation is just icing on the cake. Also the Tanks, god I love the British Mark V tanks.

I plan on ordering a book about the Spanish conquests of the Aztecs, the illustrations of their cities during the Classical period (Mayans) are so beautiful and alien. What are your thoughts about the Mayans and Olmecs?
Somewhat familiar with Gnosticism. It was a later development of Christianity mixed with Platonism and general Hellenism, that ended up creating a highly spiritualized, dualistic form of Christianity. Where early Christianity was very much concerned with the fate of people in the present life, the actions of political leaders, and the ultimate destiny of humanity as a whole, Gnosticism was largely a religion of personal, individual spiritual enlightenment.

As far as scriptures, depends which ones. I know about the Apocryphal Gospels, but definitely some more than others. There are a lot of them.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid, my Big Three we're Ancient Greece, Egypt, and pre-contact Mesoamerica. I haven't read much on them recently but they're still pretty cool.

Around college I got really into Chinese history and I'm still fascinated with it.

I'm most knowledgeable in American history.

Medieval Europe is boring as shit. Knights and castles look cool but I don't give a fuck about any of it.

MerriedxReldnahc

#1 Wogglebug Fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I plan on ordering a book about the Spanish conquests of the Aztecs, the illustrations of their cities during the Classical period (Mayans) are so beautiful and alien. What are your thoughts about the Mayans and Olmecs?
I wish I knew more about the Olmecs, though they're kind of a mystery to archeologists in general. We actually don't know what they even called themselves. Olmecas, which means "rubber people" is what the Aztecs called them due to the fact that they used rubber to make balls for the ceremonial ballgame played throughout Mesoamerica. Speaking of the ballgame, one of the theories about the Olmec heads is that they might depict renowned ballgame athletes.

The Mayans, holy crap, there's some really awesome architecture that I love. Tikal has some beautiful pyramids as does Chichen Itza (this is the site where the pyramid forms the shadow of Kulkucan on the spring equinox). My favorite is the tomb of Lord Pakal at Palenque. There's so much to say about that one structure. Pakal's sarcophagus lid is pretty well known because the more tinfoil-hat crowd points to it as an image of a spaceship.
As for Mayan paintings, theres a lot of really great examples found at Bonampak.

atari

mainly lurking rn
kiwifarms.net
I've been an ancient Egypt stan since I was a kid, and later on an ancient Greece one as well. I've been to Greece a few times (both Athens & other places) and it was super neat getting to see old sites for myself firsthand. Besides that I just enjoy ancient history a lot, it's so cool seeing cultures centuries before technology making such incredible things.

I'm also really interested in the '50's to about the '80's in America, stuff like the perfect American suburbia & American dream, Levittown is an example of it. Along the same vein, I also like looking into older criminal cases that shattered that idea of "things like that don't happen in our town". Stuff like the Golden State Killer is super interesting to me, although for criminal cases it's not limited to America - Snowtown over in Australia & the murder of James Bulger from England really fascinate me, although both happened later in the '90's.

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wish I knew more about the Olmecs, though they're kind of a mystery to archeologists in general. We actually don't know what they even called themselves. Olmecas, which means "rubber people" is what the Aztecs called them due to the fact that they used rubber to make balls for the ceremonial ballgame played throughout Mesoamerica. Speaking of the ballgame, one of the theories about the Olmec heads is that they might depict renowned ballgame athletes.

The Mayans, holy crap, there's some really awesome architecture that I love. Tikal has some beautiful pyramids as does Chichen Itza (this is the site where the pyramid forms the shadow of Kulkucan on the spring equinox). My favorite is the tomb of Lord Pakal at Palenque. There's so much to say about that one structure. Pakal's sarcophagus lid is pretty well known because the more tinfoil-hat crowd points to it as an image of a spaceship.
As for Mayan paintings, theres a lot of really great examples found at Bonampak.
There's a very entertaining podcast episode about the Aztecs by History on Fire's Daniele Bolelli which covers the first Spanish expedition to the Yucatan Peninsula all the way leading up to Hernan Cortes's conquest of the Aztec capital.

Give it a listen if you're interested, but first I recommend listening to the askhistorian's short episode on the Aztec Conquest. Just a quick side note, the same subreddit did plenty of good debunkings of the "we wuz kangz" take on the Olmecs, this in one particular, and this one too.

http://historyonfirepodcast.com/episodes/2017/5/25/episode-20-the-conquest-of-mexico-part-1-people-of-the-sun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PDEoXPwu8I

Somewhat familiar with Gnosticism. It was a later development of Christianity mixed with Platonism and general Hellenism, that ended up creating a highly spiritualized, dualistic form of Christianity. Where early Christianity was very much concerned with the fate of people in the present life, the actions of political leaders, and the ultimate destiny of humanity as a whole, Gnosticism was largely a religion of personal, individual spiritual enlightenment.

As far as scriptures, depends which ones. I know about the Apocryphal Gospels, but definitely some more than others. There are a lot of them.
I wanted to find what the Gnosticism is all about and holy shit this stuff is real cool, went to a askhistorians for an answer and found this.

Gnosticm isn't a single belief or religion. So it is hard to pin down how it differs from Christianity. Indeed there are even forms of Gnostic Christianity.

It was a general movement in the Mediterranean Basin in the first few centuries CE. The basic point of a gnostic belief, was that there was some special form of knowledge that could provide something for the learner. Gnostic itself is derived from the Greek word for learned or knowledge. So a gnostic was simply someone who claimed to have some sort of knowledge. Exactly what this knowledge was or what it was supposed to do for the learner varied wildly from group to group. For the most part Gnostics believed that their special knowledge would somehow grant them access to special treatment in the afterlife. And usually this knowledge was shared by one deity or another. Most of the Mystery Cults of the early CE era could and sometimes were called gnostic.

And Christianity included gnostic subgroups within it. These were almost religions within a religion where certain individuals would be initiated into he "true meaning" of Christianity. But even within Christianity there were dozens of different sects of Gnostics, all claiming secret knowledge.

Let me give you one example; this should demonstrate the kinds of things that some Gnostics may have believed... but it shouldn't be taken as representative of all gnostic Christian belief, let alone gnostic belief in general, because there is no general gnostic belief.

In this mythology God was complete and whole within himself. But for some reason he divided himself into some of his attributes and gave them a separate existence. He still existed as himself whole and unchanged. But he also now existed as these separate beings as well. In some forms of the story he creates only a few, a dozen, or even up to 300 of these beings. One of these beings was Sophia (Wisdom). And for whatever reason (it differs from version to version) Sophia created an additional being known as the Demiurge.

Now the Demiurge didn't share in Sophia's wisdom. She couldn't impart any of herself. And she also couldn't duplicate any of God's other attributes. But she could emulate them. So the Demiurge got similar characteristics to God, but they were imperfect. Being an imperfect being the Demiurge couldn't perceive God or his attributes (even his own mother). And so he thought he was alone in the universe. To ease his loneliness he created the physical world. Unknown to him the only source of "material" to work with was God. So the Demiurge was taking parts of God and separating them from the whole. With this divine essence he created Earth and Adam and Eve. The Demiurge you see was Yahweh, the god of the Old Testament.

The original God saw this and was sad because parts of himself were now separate consciousnesses; something he approved of. But they were separated from him and ultimately from enlightenment and perfection; which he disapproved of. So he incarnated himself into the material world, as Jesus. When he died and returned to himself he forged a path that would allow all of humanity to follow and reunite with him. He also imparted the secret knowledge of how to follow this path he created to some disciples who then provide this secret knowledge to the rest of humanity.

In some versions ultimately everyone will follow the path back, but by learning and accepting sooner we reduce our suffering. In these versions there is some sort of reincarnation. And the ultimate fate is that the Demiurge will be saved and restored to God as well. In other forms the Demiurge is damned for his actions as are any who don't follow the secret path back to God and his attributes. They ultimately would be destroyed or simply permanently separated from God.

Depending on the details of the belief it could affect behavior. Some Christian gnostic communities encouraged celibacy, believing that by having kids you were stealing some of the original God's essence and adding to the suffering of the world. Others encouraged large families believing that the essence was a set amount stolen in the beginning and by having children in a gnostic family exposed souls to the proper knowledge faster.

Regardless of the details of the specific beliefs of the gnostic groups, other early Christians viewed them as heretics of the most dangerous kind. They denied the saving power of Christ's atonement, placing salvation in secret teachings. So they were firmly opposed.
This demiurge stuff is very fascinating, god damn.

Last edited:

Exterminatus

I am His final judgment
kiwifarms.net
I'm generally pretty casual on history though when I was in school I was super into US history, tended to be my favorite topic. I tend to enjoy a bit of everything especially in relation to different eras like the rise and fall of Rome, rise and fall of the Aztecs, etc. Usually like to listen to Hardcore History and History on Fire and a few other history related podcasts too.

• Informative
Reactions: A Cold Potato

Jan_Hus

Czech yourself before you wreck yourself
kiwifarms.net
I like the history of individual people. One of my favorites is the Ottoman Padishah Sulyman the "Magnificent." He was a master poet, statesmen, admired in France and England

And he nearly caused a diplomatic crisis in the Empire when he married one of his slave girls, (a Ukrainian peasant from Crimea) rather than keep with the tradition of the Imperial Harem.

Marco Fucko

All that glitters ain't gold
kiwifarms.net
I really like periods that read like badass epics. Any 'civil war' period is great for this because you immediately have intrigue and true tests of loyalty.

The entire 'Founders' part of the Sengoku period in Japan is awesome, you had everything from a xenophobic culture (hey, most were) letting in foreigners for access to guns, an African slave becoming a samurai, the winner of the shogun game retiring a couple of years in and naming his son as heir so there's no counterclaims to the throne, a servant getting non-lethally crucified and promised being let go if he lies to his besieged lords, only to be the most honorable motherfucker on the planet by screaming the help he got sent out to get is coming and they should hold out even harder and getting impaled for his troubles.

WinterMoonsLight

J'ai une âme solitaire
kiwifarms.net
A few things I'm particularly spergy over...

Cults (Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians ect...)

True Crime/serial/spree killers

Religion throughout the ages

The Industrial Revolution

The Crusades

Ancient Rome

ButterBar

kiwifarms.net
Western civilization and warfare. I can talk endlessly about the effects of the sea peoples and on bizarre little wars that have happened like the war of the bucket which is exactly as it sounds, and dont even get me started on Poland-Lithuania and the Hussars or how awesome Prussia was.

mr.moon1488

kiwifarms.net
A few things I'm particularly spergy over...

Cults (Jonestown, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians ect...)

True Crime/serial/spree killers

The Crusades

Ancient Rome
Cults
Jonestown

Sad, but at least it brought about the term "koolaid drinkers"
Heaven's Gate
Lolcows which died too soon.
Branch Davidians
Reading about this, will either make you skeptical of the US government's competency, or their trust-worthiness

Very interesting stuff most of the time

luddite philosophy is a meme that really needs to die already.

The Crusades
Needed, justified, hopefully will get a squeal.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love learning about the hidden vices and secret lives of historical figures. The seedier, the better.
Edgar Allen Poe's degeneracy. JFK's feel-good doctor. Historical drunks. The last Hapsburg. Mao's sexual predilections. Churchill's secret to public speaking. Bugsy Siegel's syphilis.

• Agree
Reactions: WinterMoonsLight
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino