What obscure older music have you found? - Pre-90sish shit.

Harbinger of Kali Yuga

Your city lies in dust, my friend
kiwifarms.net
So there's a lot of old stuff that's mostly forgotten. Nobody's really written about it, its time has come and gone and it just never really got noticed. Occasionally something that's somehow intriguing can be found in the debris of another era. Hence stuff like the "The Mysterious Song" someone recorded off the radio and nobody has been able to identify (Whang's video).

What really old and obscure stuff by nobody-bands have you stumbled upon that you think deserves a second listen? You don't have to think the band is amazing or revolutionary, just something you've found that things deserves some notice....

I found some weird goth/deathrock record with some flute bits in it. It seems pretty obscure and the singer is obviously influenced by Siouxsie, I feel like this band could've gone somewhere if they developed their sound a bit further and stayed together.

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would say the theme A Man and a Woman by Francis Lai. Mostly because the film seems rather obscure. Its been covered a lot in the years since though.

McMitch4kf

kiwifarms.net
Fuck yeah, this is my thread!

The album that I’m always impressed to ever run across is City Boy’s 1979 album, The Day the Earth Caught Fire. It’s got a Cold War era since of cynicism that has only gotten more applicable today.

Another group that I’ve run across is Nektar; they’ve got a kind of unique sound, even if it is kind of samey across most of their albums.

I’ve seen it referenced in another thread, surprisingly enough, but I still want to recommend it here: Camel’s album Mirage. It’s got a kind of King Crimson meets Focus sound.

Focus has a relatively well known song in Hocus Pocus, but I would recommend a good deal of their albums, especially Hamburger Concerto.

My cousin got me into Uriah Heep. In a genre full of nerds st the time, they somehow ended up the nerdiest. Demons and Wizards is a good enough aalbum with good enough artwork that I have it as a shirt.

Everyone knows a handful of Blue Öyster Cult songs like (Don’t Fear) The Reaper or Burning For You, but honestly their first three albums are their best work.
Blue Öyster Cult: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_CGO22fjAZcykWiHL6bBGHdog087ljBo
Tyranny and Mutation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C9FD12F52BD52B5
Secret Treaties (my favorite): https://youtu.be/tIMaWk_7ehQ

Syaoran Li

Oh what a night! Late December back in '63...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some good old-timey bluegrass from the legendary Doc Watson. I think this was from the 70's or 80's. My grandmother had it on cassette.

A coal miner's ballad from Ralph Stanley. I'm pretty sure this song first appeared on one of his early albums released after Carter Stanley died in 1966. I actually got to meet Ralph Stanley twice before his death in 2016.

Fun Fact: My grandmother on my mom's side actually attended Carter Stanley's funeral at the time. The service was open to the public and so many people showed up that they could not perform the funeral at the church so it was actually held in a high school gym before the procession headed back to the cemetery for burial.

This rare bluegrass classic is the original ACAB anthem, long before NWA or Body Count.

Prince Lotor

. . .and the blackest eyes. The Devil's eyes.
kiwifarms.net
I just recently started listening to this Killing Joke B-side from their 2010 'In Excelsis' Single EP

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
Here's an Argentine band I stumbled on. I don't understand a thing they're saying but it's good.
Edit: A way better example would probably be this song instead. If this song weren't on a soundtrack listing of a hipster comic book, then it would be even more obscure.

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
Not really obscure I guess, but when people talk about how trashy music is today...I like to remind them of the 'dirty blues'.

If you have javascript enabled then there is a drop down 'insert' hit media, then paste your youtube link in.

Fuck yeah, this is my thread!

The album that I’m always impressed to ever run across is City Boy’s 1979 album, The Day the Earth Caught Fire. It’s got a Cold War era since of cynicism that has only gotten more applicable today.

Another group that I’ve run across is Nektar; they’ve got a kind of unique sound, even if it is kind of samey across most of their albums.

I’ve seen it referenced in another thread, surprisingly enough, but I still want to recommend it here: Camel’s album Mirage. It’s got a kind of King Crimson meets Focus sound.

Focus has a relatively well known song in Hocus Pocus, but I would recommend a good deal of their albums, especially Hamburger Concerto.

My cousin got me into Uriah Heep. In a genre full of nerds st the time, they somehow ended up the nerdiest. Demons and Wizards is a good enough aalbum with good enough artwork that I have it as a shirt.

Everyone knows a handful of Blue Öyster Cult songs like (Don’t Fear) The Reaper or Burning For You, but honestly their first three albums are their best work.
Blue Öyster Cult: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_CGO22fjAZcykWiHL6bBGHdog087ljBo
Tyranny and Mutation: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4C9FD12F52BD52B5
Secret Treaties (my favorite):

William Tell Underpass

#ApplesForHobos
kiwifarms.net
I think this has returned to the 'obscure' pile now that Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry are not known for Camp comedies anymore.

Not really obscure I guess, but when people talk about how trashy music is today...I like to remind them of the 'dirty blues'.

If you have javascript enabled then there is a drop down 'insert' hit media, then paste your youtube link in.
That was an experience... here's something a little more christian...

Reactions: Piss Clam

Quixotic Son

13th Century Schizoid Man
kiwifarms.net
Reactions: TalmudSperg

Boris Blank's glass eye

Ring the bell, Roll down the street
kiwifarms.net
I like prog rock.

Also, while they aren't pre-90s, check out Enchant.
Too bad my Live at Last DVD pretty much died, and the only full video on Youtube was taken down.

Tags
None