What was the last decent year for the world? - Before shit started getting crazy

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I would say 2013 was the last decent year, there was already rumblings of modern SJW culture starting in 2012 and 2013, but it was all pretty in it's nascent stages, I certainly didn't see which way things were going.

In a very big way all this started with Gamergate in 2014, that was what supercharged this modern culture war and now looking back after so many years 2013 really seems like the end of an era.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It sounds like your question should be "When did you go through puberty?" or perhaps better "When did you start paying closer attention to politics?"

I still think things have been insane and completely different since 9/11 and I'm sure someone older would say something similar about watergate or kennedy assassination and so on and so on.

The world changes fast and it's pretty insane.

Zarael

kiwifarms.net
Probably 2000. The 1990s were a pretty optimistic time, the Cold War finally ended and people were looking forward to humanity finally coming together and looking toward the stars or some shit. Francis Fukuyama said it was the "end of history" because we had everything figured out, democratic liberalism was the optimal political system, free market capitalism the best economic system and the world was America's oyster. Then 2001 hit, and people got a wake up call that not everything was going to be rainbow and sunshine into the future and Bush dragging us into a war started the left off on its journey to their current state of derangement.

After that it's history. Basically I think the turn of the millennium is the last time the majority of the west had a hopeful, positive outlook. The period between the fall of the USSR and 9/11 when people thought everything was going to work out just fine.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Probably 2000. The 1990s were a pretty optimistic time, the Cold War finally ended and people were looking forward to humanity finally coming together and looking toward the stars or some shit. Francis Fukuyama said it was the "end of history" because we had everything figured out, democratic liberalism was the optimal political system, free market capitalism the best economic system and the world was America's oyster. Then 2001 hit, and people got a wake up call that not everything was going to be rainbow and sunshine into the future and Bush dragging us into a war started the left off on its journey to their current state of derangement.

After that it's history. Basically I think the turn of the millennium is the last time the majority of the west had a hopeful, positive outlook. The period between the fall of the USSR and 9/11 when people thought everything was going to work out just fine.
You're not wrong, but the emphasis is on "decent", not great.

Things have been on a downward spiral since 9/11, but in hindsight the first 12 years since that were not all that bad at least comparatively.

Basically it seems like things have been on a sort of a half life where every several years things get progressively worse, first you had the post 9/11 era, then you had the post Great Recession era and now we've been living through the post Gamergate era.

This era has been the worst and I'll tell you why, because so many of your average people have become flat out evil, the sheer maliciousness of so many people today is appalling, 9/11 was an awful tragedy but it was an attack on America from outsiders, the Great Recession was a rough situation but it was also something caused by an abstract system, all of our problems today are thanks to ourselves, we have turned on each other, this is not something from outside, this is from within.

What we have been experiencing for the last several years could be described as a society wide nervous breakdown, it's simply not fucking normal the way a large number of people have been behaving.

I think in the post 9/11 and Great Recession eras you could at least still believe in the good in your fellow Americans, that we were all in this together and if we worked hard together we could survive, but we've turned on each other, now I live in a world where many of my fellow Americans literally want me dead.

That is what seems so apocalyptic about this situation, this isn't America being attacked by something, this is self destruction.

I'm speaking about America but of course this isn't just happening in America either.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Basically it seems like things have been on a sort of a half life where every several years things get progressively worse, first you had the post 9/11 era, then you had the post Great Recession era and now we've been living through the post Gamergate era.
post french revolution era, post holocaust era, post vietnam war era, post cold war era.....

Tragi-Chan

A thousand years old
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
History is a swinging pendulum, and whether an era is “good” or “bad” depends on who you are - your location, your politics, your economic status and a hundred other factors. Like, are you going to tell someone in Croatia that they were better off in the 1990s because you don’t like troons in sport? When the last “good year“ was will be entirely subjective.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
History is a swinging pendulum, and whether an era is “good” or “bad” depends on who you are - your location, your politics, your economic status and a hundred other factors. Like, are you going to tell someone in Croatia that they were better off in the 1990s? When the last “good year“ was will be entirely subjective.
Yet I've heard other people beside @Dom Cruise bring up the point and there seems to be something there specifically that is still poorly defined.

@Dom Cruise can you elaborate what things were one way before and another way after? Can you make like a list of five or ten important things or so that really have changed? I'm not asking you to be complete or exhaustive, but give us something more to work with.

• Feels
Reactions: Chichan

Lurkio

kiwifarms.net
Every year has its ups and downs, the worlds always been crazy, it's just as we grow older we understand that better and we sometimes tend to focus too much on the negatives instead of the positives. I find dividing time into periods of months or weeks gives a better and over all better out look on life...and makes it seem like my life isn't rocketing past me at an alarming rate, because when you really stop and reflect on your actions even over the past months, you'd be surprised to see how much you did, or how much freaking time you wasted dicking around, worrying about stupid shit, or whatever.

But to get back on point, I feel like a lot of people would say that their last "good year" was a year when they feel like they actively accomplished something. I base this on having seen several small content creators on various websites (admittedly, mostly Youtube, but I've seen others) grow to have a rather big following and they always talk about "how it was such a great year for them" or "this was one of the best years of my life and the best in regards to (whatever content they produce), I also have several friends who, after busting their ass in trade school/ college for several years, are finally starting to land decent, well paying jobs. It reminds me that, while the grind is real and while it can be a bit heavy and long sometimes, it can really be worth it in the end.

tl;dr: Don't worry about the outside world too much if you can't do anything about it, and a decent year is any year you get off your ass and do meaningful shit, and a good year is a year when that hard work pays off.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
post french revolution era, post holocaust era, post vietnam war era, post cold war era.....
I'm talking strictly about the 21st century.

History is a swinging pendulum, and whether an era is “good” or “bad” depends on who you are - your location, your politics, your economic status and a hundred other factors. Like, are you going to tell someone in Croatia that they were better off in the 1990s because you don’t like troons in sport? When the last “good year“ was will be entirely subjective.
It's true, human history is a series of peaks and valleys and I'm sure eventually there will be better times, it's just a question of how long until that happens.

Yet I've heard other people beside @Dom Cruise bring up the point and there seems to be something there specifically that is still poorly defined.

@Dom Cruise can you elaborate what things were one way before and another way after? Can you make like a list of five or ten important things or so that really have changed? I'm not asking you to be complete or exhaustive, but give us something more to work with.
I can only speak for American culture and I can only really speak for my lifetime which started in 1989, but what I've observed is an America that went from feeling pretty confident in itself, to not as confident, to now a large number of people that believe America should be utterly destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up and that's not some fringe either, that is a growing movement that has the backing of multinational corporations.

I've witnessed extreme political polarization in literally every single aspect of life, even people's entertainment, hobbies and interests is just an extension of their politics, hell, where you take a shit in public now has political baggage.

And what's really so bad for me is that now SJWs make it their life's mission to seek out any fun hobby and systemically destroy it, you can't even have any fun and escapism in the eyes of these lunatics.

Loud and clear, day after day I see the same message perpetrated by modern culture and that's "FUCK YOU WHITE BOY! FUCK YOU WHITE BOY! FUCK YOU WHITE BOY!" and here I am just a guy whose done nothing but sit around playing his fucking video games, not bothering anybody, not doing anything to anybody and I'm made to feel hated and unwanted in my own fucking country, I'm sick of it.

I just miss feeling free to live my own fucking life.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
In 2011 it really started to look like the world was on a swing away from authoritarianism, dictatorship and theocracy. The Arab Spring, collapse of Sudan, end of several civil wars including Iraq and the Ivory Coast, Bin Laden and Gaddafi dead and Occupy Wall Street when it genuinely looked like a democratic movement rather than an idpol clusterfuck. The Youtube boom pre-adpocalypse. Power being taken back into the hands of the people from both governments and corporations.

That didn't fucking last, did it?

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
kiwifarms.net
The how many-th "current year" topic is this?

To me it was 2012 or 2013. Our current retarded zeitgeist started in earnest only in 2014 with Gamergate and then everything went fast until Trump appeared and it was in full effect. 2012 was the last really good year in terms of popculture and politics. 2013 was the time in-between, when all that was good had gone down the gutter, while our new autistic mentality hadn't kicked off yet.

Tags
None