What was the last decent year for the world? - Before shit started getting crazy

Return of the Freaker

The ass was THIS fat
kiwifarms.net
2012 for sure. People saying 9/11 started a downward spiral aren't wrong, but it felt like we could still correct course somehow even up through early OWS. People are also saying gamergate was the turning point, but it really started with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and the rise of Black Lives Matter. After these events is when shit started going off the rails.

Fek

What could possibly go wrong?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just miss feeling free to live my own fucking life.
You still can, you know. You're paying attention to all the terrible things and falling into despair (which is the goal, by the way) instead of potentially focusing that attention on what you can do to better your life, immediate surroundings, community, region, etc.

You're letting malicious (and quite deliberate) propaganda/social movements slowly ruin you.

Now, that being said - you're absolutely right about growing up to witness national pride falling into a tailspin. You're spot on about so many seeking to destroy the nation out of spite for their own personal failures (envy at its core). Extreme political polarization? Absolutely true.

And all of this leads into a very, very important question you're willfully dodging (be honest with yourself..you know you are) by seeking the escapism they, too, seek to take away from you:

What are you going to DO about it?

The issue with every last fucking thing you just outlined is explained by your own admitted actions in the last bit of your post. All you're doing is playing video games not bothering anybody..not trying to make waves. How in the goddamn shit are you gonna continue doing what you want to do if your response is to continue avoiding "bothering anybody?" Those assholes and useful idiots wanna bother you and all you hold dear quite badly. Stop letting them have such an easy time of it. Get up off your ass, boy.

I urge you to try and avoid despairing about the situation. You can do so much more about it than you're giving yourself credit..and, frankly, that goes for damn near all of us.

free speech hope.jpg

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
2012 for sure. People saying 9/11 started a downward spiral aren't wrong, but it felt like we could still correct course somehow even up through early OWS. People are also saying gamergate was the turning point, but it really started with Trayvon Martin, Michael Brown, and the rise of Black Lives Matter. After these events is when shit started going off the rails.
You are correct you can really trace this stuff back to 2012, Trayvon Martin was definitely a real watershed moment, but the Black Lives Matter thing didn't really become supercharged until Ferguson Missouri in 2014 though, once it became about the police, that's when the poverbial shit really hit the fan.

It's the same deal with feminism, Anita Sarkeesian first gained the spotlight in 2012 as well, but the feminism shit didn't become supercharged until Gamergate in 2014, the difference from 2012/2013 to 2014 is all that stuff was very early rumblings in 2012, 2013, it was somewhat in the background, 2014 was when it got front and center focus like never before.

I find it eerie that both Ferguson Missouri and Gamergate didn't just happen in the same year but the same month, you can pinpoint August of 2014 as exactly when things went to shit.

And on a personal note what I also find eerie is I took a nice vacation to a small American city in June of 2014, I remember walking around the streets and the pleasant vibe of everything, little did I know I was witnessing the end of an era.

You still can, you know. You're paying attention to all the terrible things and falling into despair (which is the goal, by the way) instead of potentially focusing that attention on what you can do to better your life, immediate surroundings, community, region, etc.

You're letting malicious (and quite deliberate) propaganda/social movements slowly ruin you.

Now, that being said - you're absolutely right about growing up to witness national pride falling into a tailspin. You're spot on about so many seeking to destroy the nation out of spite for their own personal failures (envy at its core). Extreme political polarization? Absolutely true.

And all of this leads into a very, very important question you're willfully dodging (be honest with yourself..you know you are) by seeking the escapism they, too, seek to take away from you:

What are you going to DO about it?

The issue with every last fucking thing you just outlined is explained by your own admitted actions in the last bit of your post. All you're doing is playing video games not bothering anybody..not trying to make waves. How in the goddamn shit are you gonna continue doing what you want to do if your response is to continue avoiding "bothering anybody?" Those assholes and useful idiots wanna bother you and all you hold dear quite badly. Stop letting them have such an easy time of it. Get up off your ass, boy.

I urge you to try and avoid despairing about the situation. You can do so much more about it than you're giving yourself credit..and, frankly, that goes for damn near all of us.

You are correct I let it bring me down more than I probably should, it's something I work on a lot, but sometimes it just helps to vent a bit, ya know?

As for what I'm going to do about it, well, I can at least vote how they don't want me to vote, believe me, the left has lost an ally.

Captain Communism

I had to live in a paper bag
kiwifarms.net
2021 will be a Bad year for us and the rest of the world. All because of some asshole of an OP on 4Chan, who will make a Grounded Video out of our dear leader, NulliferGuy.

Once that Video gets uploaded, A few Minutes will pass, then. The ground starts to shake. Cows and baby Chris Chans start falling from the sky, and Society will start polluting more often. Also, they will start more wars and fights over little things. Such as fetishes and memes, and whether Autism is a Medical Disorder or a Rare Disease in your Brain: Texas style.

Marriage will be Replaced by Slavery, and Society will revert back into the stone age. Humanity will cease to Exist as a Purified Group, instead deteriorating into Violence and many Sacrifices for our true leaders, Ae-Tan, and the Pirahã and Sentinelese Tribes.

Jarolleon

kiwifarms.net
I'm talking strictly about the 21st century.

It's true, human history is a series of peaks and valleys and I'm sure eventually there will be better times, it's just a question of how long until that happens.

I can only speak for American culture and I can only really speak for my lifetime which started in 1989, but what I've observed is an America that went from feeling pretty confident in itself, to not as confident, to now a large number of people that believe America should be utterly destroyed and rebuilt from the ground up and that's not some fringe either, that is a growing movement that has the backing of multinational corporations.

I've witnessed extreme political polarization in literally every single aspect of life, even people's entertainment, hobbies and interests is just an extension of their politics, hell, where you take a shit in public now has political baggage.

And what's really so bad for me is that now SJWs make it their life's mission to seek out any fun hobby and systemically destroy it, you can't even have any fun and escapism in the eyes of these lunatics.

Loud and clear, day after day I see the same message perpetrated by modern culture and that's "FUCK YOU WHITE BOY! FUCK YOU WHITE BOY! FUCK YOU WHITE BOY!" and here I am just a guy whose done nothing but sit around playing his fucking video games, not bothering anybody, not doing anything to anybody and I'm made to feel hated and unwanted in my own fucking country, I'm sick of it.

I just miss feeling free to live my own fucking life.
"After 5000 & 400 years of oppression respectively, women and minorities are finally allowed by societal convention to vent en masse without ruthless reprisal, it only seems to shocking because it wasn't acceptable to make their true feelings known so plainly before."-Some smarmy cuck, probably.

A Humble Ewok

...and a future for Ewok children.
kiwifarms.net
I buy into the theory that the SJW and modern "culture war" insanity is largely the result of social media taking off, so 2009. I make 2009 the the cutoff because 2010 gave us bronies, which I consider the tiny pink ponies of the cultural apocalypse.

Last edited:

Wraith

Made pure again from the hardest game on earth.
kiwifarms.net
1991. Bad things happened in '92. We have to get really bad before it gets better, and I'm happy to see that's happening.

• Optimistic
Reactions: TheProdigalStunna

JustWhy

kiwifarms.net
2021 will be a Bad year for us and the rest of the world. All because of some asshole of an OP on 4Chan, who will make a Grounded Video out of our dear leader, NulliferGuy.

Once that Video gets uploaded, A few Minutes will pass, then. The ground starts to shake. Cows and baby Chris Chans start falling from the sky, and Society will start polluting more often. Also, they will start more wars and fights over little things. Such as fetishes and memes, and whether Autism is a Medical Disorder or a Rare Disease in your Brain: Texas style.

Marriage will be Replaced by Slavery, and Society will revert back into the stone age. Humanity will cease to Exist as a Purified Group, instead deteriorating into Violence and many Sacrifices for our true leaders, Ae-Tan, and the Pirahã and Sentinelese Tribes.
Too optimistic you are, that is small thing comparing to whats coming for us.
Define decent. The world was always a shitshow in one way or another.
Not was, IT IS! This would not end...
That is same one and only "shitshow" constanly running since ever, just adapting to modern standards using newest technological achievments.

Last edited by a moderator:

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've praised the decade for having introduced some eventful transitions that were at worst a display of complacency, at best earnest, cheesy human expression.

The 2000s. As a decade, not merely the last year.

It wasn't all sunshine, because the perception of individuality started to show cracks and the mindset that followed, now that we're in the 2020's we are seeing the byproduct of that mindset. You ask enough for something while doing nothing to show for it, you get what you ask for, and your ego inflates. Teach people how to code and that's the solution to equal acceptance for both men and women, not teaching how to handle work ethic and problem solving in spite of differences.

The seeds were planted in 2006/2007.

Embrace "diversity" yet treat individual traits as a poison of sorts, or write a think piece on how it's a toxic construct. Stereotype is the word being phased out via conflation, too many basic vocabulary going down the fucking drain because people have to conflate everything.

Then you have twisting of nostalgic patriotism as it's own "toxic" narrative, because god forbid a country did well enough alone without letting big tech decide what is or isn't safe for kids both emotionally and mentally. Sure political boomers and political spergs suck off their own giants on either side, that means we shouldn't embrace patriotic values?

I resent this notion.

On another note, the escalating concerns of surveillance in 2012 and 2013 brought another factor of the 00's under fire, corrupt aspects of aging establishment and complacency of the early 2000's brought this to light more than what was considered in advanced.

All this yet complacency is a factor, many problems faced today come down to complacency towards symptoms, which will always appear benign but you have to have a grasp of hindsight and reflection to become wiser.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I buy into the theory that the SJW and modern "culture war" insanity is largely the result of social media taking off, so 2009. I make 2009 the the cutoff because 2010 gave us bronies, which I consider the tiny pink ponies of the cultural apocalypse.
Bronies happened at the very tail end of 2010 though, otherwise 2010 was a pretty cool year.

You are right though that the 2010s hit the ground running on sucking pretty damn quick, the only reason 2011-2013 were comparatively preferable was because things were still in their nascent stages but the 2010s was almost always the 2010s and bronies really were one of the very first signs of just how bizarre things would get.

It was just a shitty fucking decade almost from start to finish and I'm so happy it's over with, I only hope of course that the 2020s will be better.

By the way, I feel like the last big hurrah for 2000s culture was the Zack Snyder movie Sucker Punch.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I'm necroing this thread because this question has been on my mind again lately and I think I have a new answer.

I would say the last "normal" year for the world, as late as I can possibly make it, was... 2015.

2015 was post Gamergate, 2015 was post Ferguson, SJWs were already well and truly a thing and Trump had announced his candidacy, but things had yet to really reach that full critical mass, to truly tips the scales into clown world until 2016 when Trump actually secured the nomination and later won, that's when the shit officially hit the fan.

Compare The Force Awakens with The Last Jedi for example, one is semi-woke, the other is full on woke. Or look at #MeToo, one of the biggest watershed moments for cancel culture.

I definitely look back at 2015 with some fondness today as the last year before things truly went over the top in insanity.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm necroing this thread because this question has been on my mind again lately and I think I have a new answer.

I would say the last "normal" year for the world, as late as I can possibly make it, was... 2015.

2015 was post Gamergate, 2015 was post Ferguson, SJWs were already well and truly a thing and Trump had announced his candidacy, but things had yet to really reach that full critical mass, to truly tips the scales into clown world until 2016 when Trump actually secured the nomination and later won, that's when the shit officially hit the fan.

Compare The Force Awakens with The Last Jedi for example, one is semi-woke, the other is full on woke. Or look at #MeToo, one of the biggest watershed moments for cancel culture.

I definitely look back at 2015 with some fondness today as the last year before things truly went over the top in insanity.
Look nigger, you talk about this like dorothy who is finally seeing the man behind the curtain. Look good for you. Yes there's a difference between the movie being projected and reality which it is supposed to portray. There are people right now, who don't think it's a crazy period, even with corona, because they don't see the man behind the curtain. People who feel about this time like you felt in 2015. And there were people who saw behind the curtain a long time before you or I did. Like the early days of e-mail, where anyone with just a little knowhow could read FBI e-mails. Probably what led to the Steve Jackson (game designer) raid. I'm sure that allowed some people to glimpse beyond the curtain in years prior.

Because when you really break it down, the first star wars, a new hope, was already a woke movie. Oh no this princess is sassy even when rescued and she kinda rescues herself. The difference is just the red nose or the full clown make-up, but it's been going in that direction for quite some time. It just doesn't look odd when you don't see the lies under it all.

Son of Odin

kiwifarms.net

It was before smartphones and social media became big with the general public and before "nerd culture" became normalized and later a hotbed for SJWs in the 2010s.
Twitter and Tumblr were created in 2007, Facebook allowed non-student emails to register in 2007, the iPhone debuted in 2007, as a few examples.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

It was before smartphones and social media became big with the general public and before "nerd culture" became normalized and later a hotbed for SJWs in the 2010s.
Twitter and Tumblr were created in 2007, Facebook allowed non-student emails to register in 2007, the iPhone debuted in 2007, as a few examples.
2006 really is a milestone year. Facebook, twitter....

Twitter launched in 2006 btw.

Last edited:
Tags
None