What was the last decent year for the world? - Before shit started getting crazy

FuckedUp

kiwifarms.net
2016 gave us some pretty nasty whiplash with how extreme the left was getting. There are lots of stories out there about people losing friends, and family members cutting off all contact with anyone who wouldn't get irrationally angry at Trump, no matter what. And it was so widespread, too.
Yeah, now that I think about it, the overton window even in 2015 was basically the same as in the previous two decades, SJWs just occupying a space nobody was even close to in the first place.

Nowadays I claim I disavowed leftism right when Gamergate happened, but in reality my moderate-left beliefs were pretty rock-solid up until 2016; until then I even believed there was some genuine systemic racism, but still thought SJWs were completely retarded because of how extreme they were. And no, I was in 4chan/trolling circles by then. Hell, it was only last year when I finally openly embraced the republican party as opposed to seeing them as the lesser of two evils.

In 2015-16, some actually good memers made pro-Bernie memes, and it felt that the de facto stance was that having to choose between Hillary and Trump was a disaster in and of itself, Trump just being the lesser of two evils instead of a legitimately good president. God-Emperor memes felt more ironic and just anti-establishment at the time, but nowadays anything less than glowing praise gets branded as TDS. Even in 2017 IIRC, not having sex with trannies being "transphobia" was just a YouTube video by some retarded transtrender with a massive Adam's Apple, not a thing actual organizations made PSAs and people got arrested over.

But it's completely the left's fault that this happened, the Ferguson versus Floyd riots being the perfect example. Using school shootings as an analogy, sane people agree that while they're completely fucked and not justified in the slightest, the perpetrators were usually undeservedly bullied and/or didn't get the help from adults they desperately needed; Columbiners, on the other hand, actually think school shootings are awesome and that the victims totally deserved it. The prevailing leftist opinion in 2015 was akin to a sane person's view of school shootings, but now anything less than full-on Columbiner is considered white nationalist rhetoric. Nowadays the term "SJW" is barely used because "leftist" means practically the same thing.

Heh, I grew up in a leftist suburb and started high school during Gamergate and graduated in the aftermath of Parkland, which happened to perfectly encapsule the period when SJWs subsumed the left. Freshman year was basically the same as when I started kindergarten in '05, but the assemblies and views my teachers espoused grew insaner by the year, to the point where every class in senior year asked for our pronouns on the first day and I had to write an essay on how Hillary lost because of the patriarchy.

Last edited:

Austrian Conscript 1915

133 days in Przemysl
kiwifarms.net
1914 because that was the last year before WW1 and by extension the last year before the end of monarchist/reactionary thought. The new world order that was brought by the Paris peace conference allowed for the proliferation of totalitarian ideologies like liberalism, fascism and communism, these three ideologies are all different sides of the same 3-sided coin, the enlightened world died with Austria-Hungary, Germany, Bulgaria and also the Ottoman empire somewhat. You can blame all your current-year problems on WW1

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2000. 2000 was such a good year. We had won the cold war, gotten through a brief recession, debt was at an all time low. America was at the apex of its power and things were coming up aces.

And then Florida botched an election, the Supreme court picked the winner, and the next year some morons plowed airplanes into some buildings. The patriot act was made, we got mired in some futile wars, the banking class betrayed their fiduciary responsibility to all of society, Myspace became a thing, unleashing the social media armageddon on society. It's been nothing but a careening downhill slide since 2000.

Dr W

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.
kiwifarms.net
Everything went to shit when the USSR fell - in both East AND West.
That actually makes a ton of sense. The USSR was the big boogeyman of the West, and when it was gone, suddenly the western world was without a real enemy. So, enemies had to be fabricated. Thus came the absolutely stupid move away from the center of politics, towards utter lunacy. I foresee the SJW shit falling apart by 2030 to be replaced by a new Satanic Panic, but with all the legislature that the SJWs managed to pass again.

America needs an enemy. An enemy which is present, powerful, and ambitious. When there is no Number 2, Number 1 gets weak.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Is it wrong to say 2017?

I feel that 2017 was a good breather year after the hell that was 2016, and the slowly crumbling world of 2018-2020. The year just had so much going on and felt a lot brighter than most.

I am a Nintendo fan, so a year with a new console, Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and a warriors spin off with Fire Emblem was fantastic. It was also the last year I really cared about Marvel since Spider-Man was pretty good. DC has the first actual good film with Wonder Woman and the comics were going strong if I recall, plus Injustice 2 was a fun hype train.

Also, it felt like politics on YouTube took more of a back seat. I honestly thought the political era was coming to an end as Trump scarred all the left-wing loonies away and the right was starting to break down as many went to non-political commentary.

If we are talking about an end of an era though, definitely halfway through 2015. I feel that 2014 was still a good year and politics had yet to take over, but 2015 was the start of the fall, which took place in 2016.

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
Id honestly say 2000 Really, Ever Since 9/11/2001, Ws a big turning point In Panic Culture at the beginning of the Internet Point In hiostory to becoming The SJW And Degenerate Place It is Today. Yeah The 21st Century has been the worst period for the left since Id say the 1940s Honestly, SJWs have Just given them the worst possible Image Bastardising all the positive and possibly beneficial aspects to Social Change they could have done. Fuck the modern Internet.

• Autistic
Reactions: zedkissed60

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, now that I think about it, the overton window even in 2015 was basically the same as in the previous two decades, SJWs just occupying a space nobody was even close to in the first place.

Nowadays I claim I disavowed leftism right when Gamergate happened, but in reality my moderate-left beliefs were pretty rock-solid up until 2016; until then I even believed there was some genuine systemic racism, but still thought SJWs were completely retarded because of how extreme they were. And no, I was in 4chan/trolling circles by then. Hell, it was only last year when I finally openly embraced the republican party as opposed to seeing them as the lesser of two evils.

In 2015-16, some actually good memers made pro-Bernie memes, and it felt that the de facto stance was that having to choose between Hillary and Trump was a disaster in and of itself, Trump just being the lesser of two evils instead of a legitimately good president. God-Emperor memes felt more ironic and just anti-establishment at the time, but nowadays anything less than glowing praise gets branded as TDS. Even in 2017 IIRC, not having sex with trannies being "transphobia" was just a YouTube video by some retarded transtrender with a massive Adam's Apple, not a thing actual organizations made PSAs and people got arrested over.

But it's completely the left's fault that this happened, the Ferguson versus Floyd riots being the perfect example. Using school shootings as an analogy, sane people agree that while they're completely fucked and not justified in the slightest, the perpetrators were usually undeservedly bullied and/or didn't get the help from adults they desperately needed; Columbiners, on the other hand, actually think school shootings are awesome and that the victims totally deserved it. The prevailing leftist opinion in 2015 was akin to a sane person's view of school shootings, but now anything less than full-on Columbiner is considered white nationalist rhetoric. Nowadays the term "SJW" is barely used because "leftist" means practically the same thing.

Heh, I grew up in a leftist suburb and started high school during Gamergate and graduated in the aftermath of Parkland, which happened to perfectly encapsule the period when SJWs subsumed the left. Freshman year was basically the same as when I started kindergarten in '05, but the assemblies and views my teachers espoused grew insaner by the year, to the point where every class in senior year asked for our pronouns on the first day and I had to write an essay on how Hillary lost because of the patriarchy.
I've hated SJWs since Anita Sarkeesian first appeared but I still considered myself liberal until fairly recently, it wasn't until 2018, after a year of Trump, when it wasn't the end of the world like SJWs said and when it was clear how unfairly he was being treated did I start to feel comfortable distancing myself from the left entirely.

Is it wrong to say 2017?

I feel that 2017 was a good breather year after the hell that was 2016, and the slowly crumbling world of 2018-2020. The year just had so much going on and felt a lot brighter than most.

I am a Nintendo fan, so a year with a new console, Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and a warriors spin off with Fire Emblem was fantastic. It was also the last year I really cared about Marvel since Spider-Man was pretty good. DC has the first actual good film with Wonder Woman and the comics were going strong if I recall, plus Injustice 2 was a fun hype train.

Also, it felt like politics on YouTube took more of a back seat. I honestly thought the political era was coming to an end as Trump scarred all the left-wing loonies away and the right was starting to break down as many went to non-political commentary.

If we are talking about an end of an era though, definitely halfway through 2015. I feel that 2014 was still a good year and politics had yet to take over, but 2015 was the start of the fall, which took place in 2016.
You're not wrong, 2017 was a great year for gaming and was obviously preferable to 2020, but things were still pretty chaotic as soon as Trump entered office.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
Depends on where you live, for me good times kinda ended witch Corona-chan though i believe its temporary.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
You're not wrong, 2017 was a great year for gaming and was obviously preferable to 2020, but things were still pretty chaotic as soon as Trump entered office.
I guess I have no memory of the extreme chaos. It was easy to distance yourself from politics again in 2017, so I think I just went without for the year. My personal life was going strong that year, so no need to add unnecessary political battles. I started both a summer and year long job, made some friends at my new later minimum wage job. Started an actual decent high school year with Junior, etc.. I was basically just becoming less of a doomer, so I remember it quite fondly. It also helps that BOTW and Odyssey became some of my favorite games of all time, and I loved Splatoon 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors. The year was just, everything that can go perfect when becoming 16 did.

Never really had another year like 2017 tbh. 2018 was fine, but it was sort of the start of the downfall, and 2019 just sucked both personally and for the world. The only highlights of 2019 were Three Houses, CTR, and Luigi’s Mansion. Now we are in 2020 and I kinda hate it. It feels like 2016 all over again, which is no compliment. Hopefully 2021 will return things to a better state and actually stay, but I can only hold hope.

• Feels
Reactions: FuckedUp

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
The 1930s if you live in America. No later than that. Because by 1940 FDR already was desegregating the military and the civil rights movement already started gaining ground. But even in the 1930s you started seeing things like gun control and government corruption that we have today. But even with that being said, the Great Depression et cetera were all the hallmark of the 30s. They were hard times, but like they say, hard times create strong men and good times create weak men. Back then everything costed less than a dollar and everything was made in the USA, there was none of this outsourcing our jobs to the chinks like we have now. Technology was still in it's infancy, in fact many people still lived without electricity, except for maybe farmers. Computers back then were either mechanical calculators that have been around since at least the 1600s (like the stepped reckoner that was invented in 1672), those mechanical slide rules, an abacus or log tables which were for more engineering type calculations so that your calculations could be checked by a second party because otherwise you would have to do it by hand. Automobiles started switching from steam-powered to diesel (the first car was invented in the 1600s and was steam powered), hardly anyone had TVs, but instead had to go to the movies to watch films, I coulds go on. Ever since the 1940s things have been going downhill.

Last edited:

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A(nother) vote for September 10, 2001 here.

The transition between the arguably crazy modern world and the definitely crazy world of this disturbing new millennium was as sudden as a plane hitting a skyscraper in a terrorist plot.

Although Trump getting elected and coronavirus was when Clown World really took off, and then went into maximum overdrive.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: Dom Cruise

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another difference between 2015 and today is that the overton window was still transitioning. Like, the counterculture was more or less just focused on SJWs, not the left wing as a whole. 2014-15 was a brief period of time where being "based" meant hating SJWs and the religious right. Remember back then, even many people vocally against SJWs said things that would be considered textbook TDS in two years' time. It feels like it changed from "SJWs and fundies bad" to "leftism bad, right wing good, and Christianity based" over 2016-18.
You are absolutely right and I think a lot of that transition from "SJW's and fundies both bad" to "Left is bad, Christianity is based" likely had a lot to do with the Core Zoomers becoming more of a thing in the counterculture as time went on.

The early anti-SJW types from 2014-2016 were often Late Millennials or Early Zoomers who still remembered the Religious Right of the Bush era and saw the eerie parallels between the SJW's and the fundies of old.

This was also why so many SJW's liked to paint anyone who criticized them as stereotypical fedora-tipping neckbeard strawmen around this time (granted, the most prominent of the early "Skeptics" did not help) as well.

However, the SJW's still rail against Christianity and use the long-dead Religious Right as a sort of spectral boogeyman figure and that probably has a lot to do with the counterculture going from the Skeptics of 2014-2016 like Sargon and Thunderfoot to the Traditionalist Faggots of 2018-2020 like Nick Fuentes and The Distributist.

The bulk of the Traditionalist Faggots are either Late Zoomers who weren't old enough to know about the Religious Right from firsthand experience or Early Zoomer ex-atheists who are now severely lapsed and saw the failure of the skeptics (and how a lot of the most commonly mocked ones really were just fedora men) and decided to become Catholic since the Religious Right was damn near exclusively Protestant (and usually Evangelical to boot) and so you don't have quite the levels of puritanism and austerity in Catholicism that you saw in the old fundies.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
A(nother) vote for September 10, 2001 here.

The transition between the arguably crazy modern world and the definitely crazy world of this disturbing new millennium was as sudden as a plane hitting a skyscraper in a terrorist plot.

Although Trump getting elected and coronavirus was when Clown World really took off, and then went into maximum overdrive.
Notice I very purposely titled the thread the last "decent" year for the world, not the last great one.

2000 was indeed the least great year for mankind, but since that's pretty depressing, I like to focus on what was at least the last decent year, to look at the glass half full.

Things were still pretty good for several years after 9/11, then the Great Recession happened and things remained decent for several more years, but now?

The difference between now and then is simply people were better, what we have going on today is a phenomenon where a not insignificant number of people can be described as flatout evil, almost as evil as the men who flew the planes into buildings, they just haven't committed actual violence on that scale (yet)

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Notice I very purposely titled the thread the last "decent" year for the world, not the last great one.

2000 was indeed the least great year for mankind, but since that's pretty depressing, I like to focus on what was at least the last decent year, to look at the glass half full.

Things were still pretty good for several years after 9/11, then the Great Recession happened and things remained decent for several more years, but now?

The difference between now and then is simply people were better, what we have going on today is a phenomenon where a not insignificant number of people can be described as flatout evil, almost as evil as the men who flew the planes into buildings, they just haven't committed actual violence on that scale (yet)
I'd say 2006 or 2007 would the last decent year, since a lot of the cultural malaise can be traced by the knockdown effects of the Great Recession and the rise of Obama, and the zealotry of the Woke Left really started to coalesce into its current form around the time of Occupy Wall Street in 2011, which was a direct response to the Great Recession.

The media and pop culture going to shit can probably be traced to the rise of Web 2.0 and more importantly, the Great Recession and the WGA Strikes of 2007-2008. Then politicization kicked into overdrive post-2013 and it all got worse and worse.

I'm hoping 2020 will be the peak year of this insanity, but I could very much be wrong.

There's a few things that give me hope that 2020 is the climax of the Woke Left's insanity but at the same time I'm not going to be completely naive and complacent either. Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 1930s if you live in America. No later than that. Because by 1940 FDR already was desegregating the military and the civil rights movement already started gaining ground. But even in the 1930s you started seeing things like gun control and government corruption that we have today. But even with that being said, the Great Depression et cetera were all the hallmark of the 30s. They were hard times, but like they say, hard times create strong men and good times create weak men. Back then everything costed less than a dollar and everything was made in the USA, there was none of this outsourcing our jobs to the chinks like we have now. Technology was still in it's infancy, in fact many people still lived without electricity, except for maybe farmers. Computers back then were either mechanical calculators that have been around since at least the 1600s (like the stepped reckoner that was invented in 1672), those mechanical slide rules, an abacus or log tables which were for more engineering type calculations so that your calculations could be checked by a second party because otherwise you would have to do it by hand. Automobiles started switching from steam-powered to diesel (the first car was invented in the 1600s and was steam powered), hardly anyone had TVs, but instead had to go to the movies to watch films, I coulds go on. Ever since the 1940s things have been going downhill.
Far too romantic about the great depression; My great grandparents lost almost everything during that and were trumatized to the point they would refuse to store money anywhere outside of their bed until the day they died.

Anyway if you are going that far back the guy who said 1914 was right: last year Americans got to enjoy before they got a President who completely lied to them about not getting involved with Europe and knowingly sent thousands of young Men to their deaths by the flu so he could get a better peace deal for himself.

Billy Rocker

Kill Count: Two autistic kids and a tranny
kiwifarms.net
Looking back, i honestly don't know what i hate more. The overly positive anti-critical normalfag blissful ignorance of the early 2010's, or the violent ultra-angry hate-filled political battlefield of the late 2010's to this day.

I just hope the following years of the 2020's aren't just repeating and cycling through both of these all over again. Otherwise i'll be convinced society is stuck in a time loop.

Sicklick

kiwifarms.net
Far too romantic about the great depression; My great grandparents lost almost everything during that and were trumatized to the point they would refuse to store money anywhere outside of their bed until the day they died.

Anyway if you are going that far back the guy who said 1914 was right: last year Americans got to enjoy before they got a President who completely lied to them about not getting involved with Europe and knowingly sent thousands of young Men to their deaths by the flu so he could get a better peace deal for himself.
Are you talking about WWI? Because if so, white America was still extremely racist and society was still conservative even after WWI. America got involved shortly after in 1917. It was WWII and the aftermath when things went to shit completely here in America. Remember this?

Tags
None