What was your first game?

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:
Another game I tried to play when I was like four was this SNES game where you were an angel man flying up/falling or something. It moved super fast and I was bad at it. I'd know the music anywhere but I can't for the life of me remember the name.

Edit: Dangit, the music appeared in a Nostalgia Critic review but the transcriber has no idea what it is either.
Shot in the dark, but

[youtube]ruMWWZ8axeY[/youtube]
?

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's that either...

[youtube]kL8puyh_Bbo[/youtube]

There's some video game music around 16:47. Pretty sure it's from the game I'm thinking of.

Male

This guy fucks!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Niachu said:

There's some video game music around 16:47. Pretty sure it's from the game I'm thinking of.
The song at 16:47 is Super Mario Bros 3.

D

DH 384

kiwifarms.net
The first game I ever played and owned was Super Mario 64 when I was 5...Played that game so much as a kid. Got a N64 for Christmas that year and the game I got along with it was Super Mario 64. Even though the game hasn't aged that well (that said most early 3d games age like milk, and this game pretty much laid the groundwork for 3d platformers) and Banjo-Kazooie and other games do the formula better, I still have an extremely soft spot for this game nowadays. Especially the underwater theme.

[youtube]uqcPSbkS9TQ[/youtube]

The Hunter

Border Hopping Taco Bender
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Male said:
Didn't she say SNES?
Really? Well shit, I've been looking up NES games this whole time.

God, this is embarrassing... :?

EDIT: So far, the only game I can find in existence that sounds like that is Legendary Wings. It's driving me crazy because the description sounded vaguely familiar to me as well. Then again, lots of things sound vaguely familiar to me.

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Male said:
Niachu said:

This is correct.

[youtube]Bui42EAErUU[/youtube]
At 31:47

champthom

"Champthom doesn't bullshit."
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
Founder
kiwifarms.net
Liquid Squirtle said:
The first game I ever played and owned was Super Mario 64 when I was 5...Played that game so much as a kid. Got a N64 for Christmas that year and the game I got along with it was Super Mario 64. Even though the game hasn't aged that well (that said most early 3d games age like milk, and this game pretty much laid the groundwork for 3d platformers) and Banjo-Kazooie and other games do the formula better, I still have an extremely soft spot for this game nowadays. Especially the underwater theme.

I've got a story about Mario 64.

I never owned the game but I remember, it was before the N64 came out, there was a video game store at the local mall and in the window, they had a TV playing gameplay footage of Mario 64. I remember being fairly young and standing in front of that window for about 20 minutes just watching the footage. I grew up playing NES, and a bit of SNES, which of course was all 2D 8 and 16 bit graphics, respectively. But watching that 3D footage was just amazing, it blew my mind.

Niachu

Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Surtur said:
Male said:
Niachu said:

This is correct.

[youtube]Bui42EAErUU[/youtube]
At 31:47

Darn, I was sure that was related to the game I was thinking o--

The Hunter said:
@Nia

[youtube]TzQE9YYBZbU[/youtube]

?

No, wait, that's it, that's it!

So the music I was thinking of was on the NES and the music was from Mario....I guess I thought it was from something more obscure because the transcriber didn't know what it was. And I remember playing the SNES more than I do the NES. It really HAS been a long time... Thanks for helping me find out what it was though, guys, it was driving me nuts! :lol:

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Wings is one of my all time favorite games. When you showed that music I thought of it too, it does sound kind of similar, but since you said SNES I was looking in the wrong places. Still, Wings can be beat. Its easiest if you use an Advantage on turbo mode.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
I inherited my sisters classic NES when she decided she really didn't like games that much (and was tired of me asking to go into her room to play games all the time), so my first games were Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, River City Ransom, and Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario Bros. 3 was (and still is) my favorite out of that bunch, although I love Super Mario Bros. and River City Ransom too.

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
You punks.

Computer Space, the arcade game, in 1972 or thereabouts.

DevilDog

kiwifarms.net
Snorlaxative said:
Does anyone remember the old Star Wars arcade game with the 80s with the vector graphics? That one.
Sounds familiar, was that the one where you blasted the stormtroopers when they popped out of corners? I remember playing that one once...maybe... *yawn*

Smokedaddy

Finer than frogs' hair
Deceased
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
No, I think laxative was referring to a game where you flew up to and over the Death Star and down the trench while avoiding bridge-like obstacles and enemy fire, all drawn in glorious green 3D vectors. It was a pretty solid early '80s arcade game. There was a version you sat in as well as the usual arcade cabinet type.
swarcade.jpg

Stormtroopers would be awfully hard to draw with vector-scan. It's a completely different animal from the raster you're looking at now; a vector display doesn't have any pixels (it draws lines, not dots), and is more akin to an oscilloscope than a television set. The early 3D games were all vector, because you only have to solve the vertices vs. every stinking pixel. Tempest, Battlezone, and Asteroids were all vector machines.