What We Left Behind: The DS9 Documentary - The Whole Series Was Actually A Sci-Fi Novel Roseanne Wrote to Cope With Dan's Heart Attack

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
So I went to see the new Deep Space 9 documentary last night that Ira Behr put together. The documentary itself was all right; not a whole lot we didn't already know about the making of DS9, however. But the highlight of the documentary was Ira Behr got the DS9 writer's room back together and brainstormed a hypothetical season 8, episode 1. When I told my cousin this, he said "Wow, I can't wait to hear about how Dukat's ghost has possessed Kira's unborn child or something stupid like that". lol

Personally, I like what they came up with and was disappointed that season 8 will never actually exist. Did anyone else see this documentary? What did you think?

I'll post a hastily written breakdown of the episode they wrote here in the spoiler:
Basically, they continue off 20 years later after the events of the Dominion War. Jake is a writer still living back home in New Orleans. Worf is back home on Q'onos playing the politics game with Martok. Et cetera, et cetera. One by one they all get called back to the station by Nog. In Quark's bar, Quark tells them Nog isn't there, but vaguely mentions that there isn't much time left because someone is dying. They then enter the holosuite on the pretense that it is Vic Fontaine whose programme is 'dying out'. Vic's like "I hate to break it to ya, pally, but I'm gonna live. I don't know why Nog told you I was dying." Then a vidscreen comes up with Nog on the deck of his ship. Nog says he lied, but 'for a good reason and you'll all know why'. Before he can say anything else, something comes through the worm hole and blows up his ship and he dies horrifically.

In the meantime, Kira is now a holy priestess of Bajor and the supreme vedek of DS9, which has become a holy sanctuary over the years. Pilgrims visit the station from all over the quadrant to watch the worm hole open, and large, bejeweled statues of Sisko adorn the promenade.
Kira opens an investigation into Nog's death and places Ezri in charge of it., but secretly tells the space station's top science officer (who turns out to be Jake's estranged half-brother [Kasidy Yate's son]) to report all of his findings directly to her first before Ezri. Ezri becomes disillusioned by all of the red tape preventing her from completing the investigation while Worf receives a mysterious message to meet someone on Bajor. That someone ends up being Garak who confides in Worf (because of his Klingon honour) that he has evidence that Kira has formed a secret alliance with the Jem'hadar to become the new Bajoran Army, evidence that will pursuade Martok to justifiably go to war with Bajor.

By the end of the episode, tensions are flaring up and suspicion is in the air. Their happy reunion has fallen apart and no one knows who they can trust anymore. Klingon, Cardassian and Federation warships begin to surround the station while all parties argue and point fingers. In the midst of the commotion, a blinding light flashes and suddenly Benjamin Sisko reappears in multiple places at once...

To be continued... (but using your own damn imagination)

They did say that were they to write out the whole season, they all agreed that one of the big reveals would have been Bashir being the leader of Section 31, and a possible villain of the series. Long story short... they wanted to explore the idea that with the Dominion gone, the real enemy left behind was inside themselves. Section 31 would be played out over the entire story-arc, orchestrating the dark underbelly of the Federation's bright exterior but internally imperialistic nature.

Hariel

Autism²
kiwifarms.net
Didn't even know they were making one. Going to have to take a look now though.

Cyber Bowling

kiwifarms.net
I'm also in the camp of "I had no idea this was a thing" but I might have to give it a watch, DS9 was my favorite of the Treks.

The brainstorm episode is okay, especially given the circumstances. I have a feeling if they actually decided to relaunch the show, it would get a lot more polish. This feels a bit like throwing out a bunch of ideas to see what works without any refinement since it's just a "what if" scenario. The Kira stuff especially seems like it would end up being tweaked, or at the very least more developed. Maybe showing Bajor being screwed over by the Federation or something to justify her teaming up with the Jem'hadar.

Section 31 being villains could certainly work and that outline certainly doesn't spill out all the ideas they possibly had. I'd hope it was more than just them being evil for the sake of evil. From what I remember they were always portrayed as being shady, but more of the "means justifies the end" type of people that wouldn't cause chaos or manipulate events just for the sake of it.

I'm sure I'd end up watching it if it was ever produced, but I think it'd be pretty challenging to make a satisfying sequel to DS9. Something like TNG would be easier to pick up and continue with because the show was more episode of the week, so you can pick up on their space adventures. DS9 had more of a stylized story with an overarching plot which was pretty neatly wrapped up by the end of the show. I think if anything, I'd rather see a largely new cast with maybe one or two old characters being main cast and the rest maybe being cameo characters, possibly being elevated to main cast over time if their stories were particularly well received.

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
A plot about the federation actually being bad and imperialists reeks of social justice trash. Deep space 9 ended where it did for a reasons and bringing it back would just tarnish its legacy.
I'd like to see star trek jump another 100 years into the future and start with something new, like they did with next gen.
I didn't get the impression that they were trying to paint the Federation as ultimately evil, but rather show the reality of "peace". You could likewise argue that the Federation itself was a social justice machine, absorbing planets into its ranks and forcing political correctness and tolerance in the pursuit of its own idealist vision of peace. The showrunner, Ira Behr, has said he wanted to portray the Federation with the concept that everyone and everything exists as a shade of grey, without pointing and saying these are the good guys and these are the bad guys. For example, Major Kira was a hero on Bajor, but her actions to help her people directly and indirectly resulted in the deaths of thousands of arguably innocent Cardassian civilians and so she was seen as a terrorist by the Cardassian goverment. She had no regrets for what she did (as she felt she did what she had to do to free her people from Cardassia's occupation), and the show never forced her character to repent or overtly justify herself, but she was forced to come face to face with her past on occasion and she is a classic example of DS9's use of the moral grey area. DS9 prided itself on creating character-driven stories, as opposed to TNG's story-driven characters, so I feel like this is a natural next-step in that process, seeing as the Federation as an ever present concept is a character in itself.

Edit: I'm currently watching S3,Ep15 of DS9 right now, and Odo has a line that I think sums up the above pretty well:

"I'm not suggesting anything, but it's been my experience that all humanoids have an agenda of some sort, and their agendas can influence them without them realising it."

Last edited:

gobbogobb

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On second thought that wouldn't be a good reboot.

The klanks finding out about siskos machinations from In the Pale Moonlight and getting pissed would be great imo.

Edit romulans not Klingons

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
I look forward to drooling over the restored 1080p footage, then being disappointed that 15 minutes or whatever is all that'll ever exist of it.
The HD restoration was not super impressive, imo. But that's just because they were restoring footage that was never intended to be HD in the first place. It didn't look terrible and the full screen was nice for the documentary; but it wasn't exactly eye catching either and I question if it was really worth the amount of money and time pumped into it. I would've been happier with more writer's room storyboarding and in-depth interviews.

Tragi-Chan

Godmaster Reverend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sounds interesting, although I do feel that Section 31 has been overused in recent incarnations of Trek. They were a cool concept in DS9, but by Discovery they’re all but operating openly, with their own uniforms and fleet, and it’s hard to believe that no one’s heard of them in the 24th century.

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
DS9 was the most grown-up of the Treks. The character writing and acting in DS9 is a notch above every other Trek series, IMO. Garak alone was one of the best damn characters in a Trek series ever and Gul Dukat was a fantastic villain until they kind of fucked him up with the whole "I'm siding with fucking Pah-Wraiths lol" shit. Quark, the fucking comedy relief, was a remarkably good character who had some of the best damn lines in the series. Sisko is, to date, the only Starfleet Captain to get Q to fuck off and stay fucked off that I am aware of.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
It's worthwhile looking into what these people are up to. You can learn about Nana Visitor having a lesbian fan cult that follows her around. Avery Brooks is probably a prophet irl.

I'm going to watch this and then complain about it

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
It's worthwhile looking into what these people are up to. You can learn about Nana Visitor having a lesbian fan cult that follows her around. Avery Brooks is probably a prophet irl.
Nana was pretty damn smokin' with the businesslike short haircut and the smoldering temper. Can't blame them. Avery's a better actor than anyone ever gave him credit for, I think.

EDIT: Also, Evil Kira from the mirror universe episode probably launched an entirely new wave of fans. And other things.

Fibonacci

Koning der Pijpbeurt
kiwifarms.net
Nana was pretty damn smokin' with the businesslike short haircut and the smoldering temper. Can't blame them. Avery's a better actor than anyone ever gave him credit for, I think.

EDIT: Also, Evil Kira from the mirror universe episode probably launched an entirely new wave of fans. And other things.
lol Yeah, up until Seven of Nine and T'Pol, Nana Visitor and Terry Farrel (Jadzia) were probably the hottest Trek actresses to date, even though my dad and others always had a huge crush on Marina Sirtis. But Kira's Bajoran uniform made her look like a Minecraft character (which was the point anyway), so I could see how Evil Kira might have sparked a whole subclass of Trekkers.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DS9 was the most grown-up of the Treks. The character writing and acting in DS9 is a notch above every other Trek series, IMO. Garak alone was one of the best damn characters in a Trek series ever and Gul Dukat was a fantastic villain until they kind of fucked him up with the whole "I'm siding with fucking Pah-Wraiths lol" shit. Quark, the fucking comedy relief, was a remarkably good character who had some of the best damn lines in the series. Sisko is, to date, the only Starfleet Captain to get Q to fuck off and stay fucked off that I am aware of.
I doubt they intended it but it seems like you could read him decking Q as foreshadowing about him being a demi-god half prophet or whatever

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
Q would have been too much for a show with that much supernatural stuff going on. Besides I think Sisko punching him was the perfect way to deal with Q because it established Sisko as being even more badass while Q ultimately losing to the captain and running away was already established as part of his character.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
Q would have been too much for a show with that much supernatural stuff going on. Besides I think Sisko punching him was the perfect way to deal with Q because it established Sisko as being even more badass while Q ultimately losing to the captain and running away was already established as part of his character.
It kind of outlines the differences between Picard and Sisko. Picard is an explorer and diplomat, a man who generally considers the time used to puzzle out a dilemma well spent, a genial man whose brush with mortality turned him from a mild-mannered nobody into someone just bold enough to be a captain proper. Sisko is a warrior and tactician, a man who is compelled to strike while the iron is hot, a hot-blooded man for whom the loss of a wife served as the mother of all cold showers and tempered his spirit with some degree of caution and the encounters with the Prophets have infused him with purpose beyond war.

Picard will indulge Q's games, usually. Sisko has no fucking time for Q's shit.

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
It kind of outlines the differences between Picard and Sisko. Picard is an explorer and diplomat, a man who generally considers the time used to puzzle out a dilemma well spent, a genial man whose brush with mortality turned him from a mild-mannered nobody into someone just bold enough to be a captain proper. Sisko is a warrior and tactician, a man who is compelled to strike while the iron is hot, a hot-blooded man for whom the loss of a wife served as the mother of all cold showers and tempered his spirit with some degree of caution and the encounters with the Prophets have infused him with purpose beyond war.

Picard will indulge Q's games, usually. Sisko has no fucking time for Q's shit.
Then you get into the fact that Sisko designed weapons and the Defiant and it becomes clear why he's my favorite.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino