What would happen if all social media disappeared for six months? -

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
I just noticed that every new buzzword with "social" in it is something that atomizes people. "Social media" breaks down society and isolates. "Social justice" seeks to divide people into bullshit factions of "oppressor" and "marginalized" - and festers conflict. And "social distancing" physically separates.

It's like 1984 where a "ministry" does the opposite of its' name.
Social justice is a term that got co-opted by keyboard warrior slacktivists. SJW started out as a pejorative term legit social justice advocates used for these keyboard warriors.

Wilhelm Bittrich

My pronouns: fuck/off
kiwifarms.net
The suicide rate would explode to an amount that even when social media would be available again after those 6 month, Instagram, Twatter et al would go bankrupt anyways because there's nobody left to spout bullshit on those platforms.
Imagine the toll on those influencers mental health when all they have left is a dead social media account with millions of followers but none of them has a real friend.

️ronic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The suicide rate would explode to an amount that even when social media would be available again after those 6 month, Instagram, Twatter et al would go bankrupt anyways because there's nobody left to spout bullshit on those platforms.
Imagine the toll on those influencers mental health when all they have left is a dead social media account with millions of followers but none of them has a real friend.
And nothing of value was lost.

Doctor Placebo

Franco did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
2% of Twitter users are responsible for like 80% of Twitter posts.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
  • News would travel slower, and would only be viewable on TV or in newspapers
In this day and age that would be a HORRIBLE thing. Considering how MSM has been doubling down on their bullshit, you wouldn't have anything to counter them and call them out on it, thus everyone would be none the wiser to what was going on behind the scenes. Only way to escape it would be to either not watch the news at all (which good luck with that, that's all boomers ever do) or be raised in a household that knew better than to believe the shit being spewed by the MSM.

• People start to go outside more instead of using their phones
Technically they still do. IDK bout your area but over here there's plenty of people walking in parks, or chilling at malls. Not to mention the flocks of Beach goers in the summer time. Granted some of them still have their phones in their hands, but attention whores gonna attention whore.

If you're talking more about introverts, then that wouldn't really change either because most of them were introverts before social media. Either because their school life sucks so they stay away from people after it, or maybe for something as simple as hating the heat so they hibernate in the summer months.

I think the US specifically would look like the late 90s and early 2000s all over again.
That's fine by me, back then music and video games were still good. The only thing that would be considered a loss for me is no online dating sites. I don't drink alcohol, and all anyone ever does on Long Island is get wasted and go to bars, so finding someone that DOESN'T do that would be harder without online dating sites.

hambeerlyingnreed

Ordering pizza at the Weight Loss Clinic
kiwifarms.net
Define "social media"

Because before sites like Facebook, people used journal sites like Livejournal to connect. Peoples journals acted as the "wall" where they posted stuff for people to reply to, and there were groups as well.

Even in the early 90s there were forums with popular threads and well liked posters. Or chatrooms where people would connect at a particular time like 8PM EST, again with well liked or known users.

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
I think it would depend on what your definition of "social media" is.

For a long time, I've felt that a large part of the problem is that we went from a state where the norm for internet discussions was to have everything divided up by topic (i.e. forums), to a state where the norm was to get a "feed" of what was essentially the stream of consciousness of other users.

The problem with the feed system is that it's damn near impossible to filter out the content you don't want (because it's only separated by user-designated hashtags and there's no moderation), and it reinforces this idea that nothing is off-topic or irrelevant. The fact that the majority of internet discussion now happens on a handful of websites owned by mega corporations who only care about pandering to advertisers, and the fact that smartphones and apps have made it so easy that a chimpanzee could participate and so ubiquitous that you can do it whilst taking a dump, is just the icing on the cake.

I honestly think that if we could go back to the system where you had to have some basic technical knowledge to participate in the internet, and discussion happened on smaller user-run forums, it wouldn't be nearly as bad. Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of people actually like the internet version of babbling to nobody in particular on a busy street corner, because it makes them feel important when people glance their way or stop to argue with them. They'd never give it up.

Anyway, I think @White Devil's right that the Zoomers and late Millenials wouldn't know what to do with themselves, but most people who remember the time before would be able to cope. They'd probably be more upset about the inconvenience than anything else.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: PurpleSquirrel

PurpleSquirrel

"He who dies with the most stories, wins."
kiwifarms.net
I know I'm powerleveling here, but I signed off Facebook permanently three weeks ago, and am definitely happier, calmer, and more productive. (In case you're wondering, I considered Twitter toxic from the very beginning, and haven't used my account there in years.)

Then again, I'm old enough to remember a world without social media or even the Internet. I feel sorry for the Zoomers, whose whole reality has largely been defined by binary/virtual communication. Should the real SHTF and the world comm-grid collapse, they'll be in big trouble.

Tags
None