What would you say to a suicidal person? - Encouraging thoughts and feels

Monika H.

Digging 'cause all good boys are dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Recently, I've had to deal with an acquaintance who had tried suicide out of the blue. Turns out said acquaintance has depression and is pretty sconsolate about future (work, family, etc.), but is really hammered down by existential dread.
Naturally, we friends and family have done our best to be close to this person, but I have found myself at loss of words and somewhat helpless when trying to find the right things to say to this person.

Kiwis, my question is: what would you say to such a person? Which arguments would you bring up? I'd really like to know.

Oscar Wildean

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not exactly sure what I would say to them, but I would at least try to encourage the person to get some help for it. And I'd try to talk with them about the problems they're having, because at least talking about it can help.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a solution. Give him this.

Tell him to shoot it at everyone he sees.

Seriously though I hope he gets help.

I don't know. Probably do a flip.

It's kind of worn out, but like I'm going to be putting in any effort for some idiot who's going to be dead in a minute anyway.

What a very Vogon thing to say, which would explain your aptitude for law.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Sideways for attention, long ways for results.

But no seriously, I would advise them to seek some professional. Pretty sure finding someone well qualify to talk to someone with suicidal tendencies isn't too costly and should be easy to find.

This is the non-shitpost answer. There's no such thing as existential dread and nobody killed themselves because of it. You can view existence itself as completely vacuous and meaningless but if you're having an okay time regardless of that, you're not going to kill yourself.

I myself view existence as absolutely pointless and without any meaning, but it's kind of fun so fuck it.

I have myself mistaken depression for existential dread, but it was just being depressed, really.

Also if you think you're depressed and you constantly take drugs and drink, quit doing that shit! Wow, your mind clears up quickly when you're not actively pouring poison into it. And if you're depressed and you aren't constantly doing drugs and drinking, why not take that up? It's not going to make anything any worse. Well, maybe it will, but who cares?

Also psychoanalysis is worthless. The only thing psychiatry has to offer is pills. Luckily, the pills psychiatry has to offer are better than they've been in the past.

And finally, you can also try SAMe. It's not patented, you don't have to get a prescription for it, and it actually fucking works.

Monika H.

Digging 'cause all good boys are dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the person late teens to mid 20s?
The person in question is in mid 20s, a couple of years older than me.
However, I was asking what would you say to a suicidal person in general, not necessarily the person I brought up. That actually made me wonder about this whole matter.
I am not seeking advice (though it would be much appreciated) but just wanted to hear others' opinions.

Tags
None