What would you say to a suicidal person? - Encouraging thoughts and feels

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can tell you what you definitely should not tell a suicidal person, which is, "It will get better." Life could stay the same. It could actually get a lot worse, if you're extremely unlucky. That being said, life can certainly get better. Just don't pretend there's a 100% guarantee that it will.

tell that to adolf
Objective fact. Here's the proof:

Monika H.

Digging 'cause all good boys are dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well your not qualified to deal with it and none here are I'm aware of. If your serious then your friend needs professional help not advise from KF.
Agree on that, but the point of the thread is not the person I brought up. That person just made me wonder, and the question is just: "What would you say to a suicidal person?" Any person, not one in particular.
Just write what you'd say, be it serious or shitpost.

Slap47

Hehe xd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but then the problem is whether or not the person is mentally healthy. Otherwise, they may not really be able to fully understand the consequences of suicide.

I was just saying in another thread that I dislike liberals because they tend to make decisions for other for "their own benefit", so I understand where you're coming from. I guess there's no easy answer to this.

Mentally ill people should have the freedom to do whatever they want. As long as they aren't hurting other people.

To say otherwise is to say they're less than human.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but then the problem is whether or not the person is mentally healthy. Otherwise, they may not really be able to fully understand the consequences of suicide.

The utility argument here is that society has a lot invested in any adult. Possibly millions of dollars just to get them up to that level, considering education, training, and the expectation that they'll eventually get jobs and pay taxes. Losing any otherwise functional person to suicide is a huge social cost, especially when you factor in the emotional cost to everyone who knew that person, including their family, the possibility of copycat suicides, and other similar bullshit.

I do think your life is generally your own, and you have the right to ragequit if your life is absolute shit to you, but I do think society has the right to step in and find out whether you're actually making that decision of your own will or if you're temporarily literally insane and incapable of making rational decisions. Quite often, just that 72 hour hold thing is enough for someone to get over their bullshit enough to decide to get help instead of making a permanent decision about a temporary problem.

So IMO someone has a right to end their life rationally, but a 72 hour "lol calm down" period does not infringe on that right excessively, and you also have a right to some basic level of society protecting you from death (this last part is where hardcore libertards might disagree).

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Mentally ill people should have the freedom to do whatever they want. As long as they aren't hurting other people.

To say otherwise is to say they're less than human.

Nonsense. Almost everyone is completely irrational at some point in their lives, and they should be treated as such.

I do think people should be allowed to commit suicide, and even to do it literally because their mental illness makes their lives intolerable.

I do think, though, that people who are merely temporarily out of their minds should have a timeout to calm the fuck down and evaluate their situation.

I'm aware there are people with severe depression or untreatable schizophrenia who find existence absolutely intolerable because of their mental illness and want nothing more than to escape existence. However, 72 hours or so, or time to apply treatment to see if it works is not a substantial infringement of liberty.

Maiden-TieJuan

Your roving Californialand reporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That in suicide that only pain it will end is their own. It will cause and increase the pain in their loved ones and friends. They will spend the rest of their lives wondering if they could have known, they could have done anything to stop you, if they were the reason you died, etc. That their suicide may be the reason one of their loved ones take their own life, become an addict, or turn on the wrong path in life.

I have had several loved ones end their own lives, for selfish and non selfish reasons. It ends their pain, but causes so much more pain, exponentially in others. It isn't worth it.

Monika H.

Digging 'cause all good boys are dead
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe I am talking too lightly, not having experienced these issues, but if I should ever consider killing myself, I'd think that I have two parents, siblings, a wife and some friends that'd be devastated by it.
I mean, I'd be essentially leaving them forever and on my own initiative. It'd be unimaginable the amount of pain and grief I'd be inflicting them.

Tags
None