WhatPumpkin, LLC / Homestuck, Inc. : Chuck Tingle, Andrew Hussie and Friends - feat. Rachel Rocklin, Shelby Cragg, and Cohen Edenfield

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Who is Chuck Tingle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

D. Sweatshirt

Shit's real, grip the wheel, lift steel
kiwifarms.net
FORWARD:

After making my megapost and consulting with a few more experienced sources (chiefly @Marvin) I’ve realized that this OP, while informative, is tailored a little more to people already familiar to Homestuck. Therefore it’s about time I provided an intro for people who don’t know much about the comic and are looking for a reason to care. I’ll also be providing links to my megapost on more recent information and on some of the major players, past and present.

AN INTRODUCTION (FOR PEOPLE WHO DON’T READ HOMESTUCK):

For some, Homestuck is the impetus for fandom drama on Tumblr. Born from the mind of Andrew Hussie, a now mid-30s former Something Awful troll long past his prime, it’s a webcomic described by some as “a comic about four kids who play a game together and end the world”. At least that’s how it started in 2009. This is the story of a deeply flawed webcomic, an even more flawed fanbase, and some of the worst unprofessional staff around.

Andrew’s a pretty hard guy to read. Though he made Problem Sleuth, arguably his best work, on his own in 2006, and started off Homestuck the same way, he quickly gathered a team to back him up that started to influence him a little too much. Politics, both internal and external, eventually shaped the comic into a retcon-filled mess. By the time the ending came out in 2016, it left many readers confused, annoyed, and disillusioned. There were too many characters and not enough development for them, and the plot was full of holes.

During the comic’s heyday in 2012-2013, Andrew Hussie had turned Homestuck into a cash cow and had hired Rachel Rocklin, his then-girlfriend, as a Manager. She proceeded to ruin the livelihood of many fan content creators by harassing them over Twitter, raiding booths at conventions, and generally being a huge cunt to anyone involved. You would typically find her shitting up any Homestuck-related project made without the consent of WhatPumpkin, Hussie’s company. The fandom was thus left scattered aside from con meetups and Tumblr pages. Rachel was eventually fired and dumped by Hussie in 2015 after some relationship drama involving her, Hussie, and IPGD, a frequent Hussie collaborator.

Andrew started a Kickstarter for Hiveswap, a prequel point-and-click series, in 2012. Initially a 3D project that gathered over $2.5 million in backer money, the entire team was sacked in 2015 and by the next year, the game’s format moved to 2D, with the team completely replaced by equally incompetent people. Two cows to emerge at this time were Cohen Edenfield, a Twitter shitposter hired to helm the project in Hussie’s place, and Shelby Cragg, who previously convinced Andrew to add some of her own ideas to Homestuck’s story. Homestuck was also marketed as a potential TV series that year by John Warren and Dante Basco, but to no avail.

In 2018, Homestuck was sold by Andrew to Viz Media, who promptly fired everyone again; even Shelby, whose sister was dating him around that time. The comic was moved to a brand new website, and a dating sim written by Hussie using art from Shelby was released. Updates remain constant.

There are too many cows to cover in this intro alone. This is a ratking without borders; there are members linked to Zoe Quinn, KC Green, Chuck Tingle (rumored to be Andrew himself), Steven Crewniverse, the High Guardian Spice debacle, and probably anyone in the indie scene with a Tumblr. If you’re prepared to watch an empire burn to the ground, this is the perfect vantage point to watch it from.

Rough Timeline:

Other uncategorized shit:

Hussie attends Shelby Cragg’s wedding and administers their vows (she’s the skinny dyke on the right)

Who’s Responsible/Partial Dox:

Andrew Hussie:

Homestuck’s creator and main writer. From the little tidbits of info we know, Hussie hired a team of artists off Tumblr to work on the first version of Hiveswap, before firing them a few years later as part of the split with The Odd Gentlemen. Other than his Dad dying a year later and unsubstantiated theories that he might also be directly working on the Chuck Tingle game project with Zoe Quinn, we know very little else about his current whereabouts or work.

For now, here are a few pics that have surfaced of him with KC Green, Toby Fox, and IPGD:
http://archive.li/81LRp
http://archive.li/E3x8y

Shelby Cragg:
https://twitter.com/shelbycragg

Former writer for Neokosmos, a poorly-written Homestuck clone
Cohen Edenfield/Skull Man"/@skullmandible/Cohen, King of Ghosts:
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/skullmandible
TUMBLR: http://skullmandible.tumblr.com/
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/cohen.edenfield?ref=br_rs
MYSPACE: https://myspace.com/156010727

OTHER SHIT:
http://ontologicalgeek.com/author/cohen-edenfield/
http://www.whitepages.com/name/Cohen-Edenfield (locked behind a paywall)
I have never in my life had a functioning PC that was up to date at all, so by necessity I've been a console gamer. I'm thinking about putting a PC together...do you happen to know anyone who could help me with that?”

John Warren:
Dante Basco:
Other related people we have little info on:

James Roach, Toby “Radiation” Fox, Amber Cragg, IPGD

Original Article (courtesy @.o.bama ):

A timeline of events, with evidence of an even greater connection between fictional character Chuck Tingle and webcomic writer Andrew Hussie.

Now that the ridiculous accusations are out in the open, let me preface this by saying that the “WhatPumpkin” team, that is Andrew Hussie and his tight-knit clique are really horrible people. You can read the story of a team member of their video game where, tl;dr: most of the team for the Homestuck video game “Hiveswap” was told to quit all their jobs and schooling and work full time for Hussie, only to be fired at a moment's notice. They were cut off of all communication and left without any support, and Hussie very quickly hired a whole new team, staffed entirely by his personal friends. The new team includes Cohen Edenfield (“ex-member Skull Man” of PennyArcadeForums), Toby “Radiation” Fox (Undertale), KC Green (whom I’ve heard you are all familiar with already), Shelby Cragg, Poinko, James Roach, and possibly a few other artists, all of whom already on Hussie’s contract from Homestuck. Further reading on this includes the /r/homestuck thread “Is Andrew Okay?”, the information of which was pooled on Tumblr by user *REDACTED*. You’ll notice that post is a reblog of a reblog of a mirror of the post, as the original blew up on Tumblr, amassing thousands of notes in a short time, before disappearing as quickly as it went up. Along with any trace of *REDACTED*, a reddit regular whom I could do a write-up on just as long as this one. A fitting end to this preface is a link to the twitter account said to be Hussie’s previously private account, of which only a few bitter public tweets remain.

Andrew Hussie (probably) said:
There is a special place in hell for everyone who doesn't like the taste of what I'm force-feeding them.

There is...a lot more to discover. I have barely touched on IPGD, who played a part in the first rendition of Hiveswap. They did their own write-up here about how Hussie lost a lot of money to a company scamming them. But I have my own doubts that it wasn’t orchestrated to launder money.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Over a year after all this, most of the people involved have disappeared. The only person mentioned above that still retains social media presence, is Cohen Edenfield. He’s entirely taken over for Homestuck now, for both the comic and the game. And he’s run it into the ground. There were plans for “Homestuck 2.0”, a project aimed at increasing Homestuck’s brand by hosting fan-made content on an official youtube channel. It was part of Dante Basco’s (Hook, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Jake Long American Dragon) plan to take Homestuck and “bring the series to Hollywood”. The original video was removed from youtube, no fan-content was ever posted, and both Dante and his friend in the video, John Warren, have not talked about Homestuck since.

Alright, let’s get to who you care about: Zoe Quinn. In this story, her involvement begins with the announcement of the Chuck Tingle Video Game Kickstarter. Watch the announcement video here and you’ll see how it's basically a stew of rotten folk. It was conceived by Zoe Quinn, written by Cohen Edenfield, and put together by John Warren. The final nail in the coffin was the announcement of the villain, played by Dante Basco. Two groups of horrible game devs, working together for a game possibly puppeteered by a horse-crazed maniac with no remorse. A quick rundown of Zoe’s involvement with Chuck Tingle:

And that’s about where we’re at. I’m sure there’s more information out there. And I’m sure much more will come out as Hiveswap and Project Tingler are released. If they are ever released. If anything here can be elaborated on in the future, I’m sure I will hear of it. I’m aware of the channels, and I’m sure if you’re reading this, you are too. The truth is out there.
Discuss.

EDIT: Semper fidelis to @tehpope for helping with formatting on this one; you're the best, fam.

Last edited:

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I heard the team Hussie had originally hired to make the game screwed him over and instead spent much of the money he had given them to instead make another adventure game (Kings Quest):
ipgd said:
i’m sure that everyone has noticed by now that the homestuck game is very, very late. boy, do i have a fun reason why!

you may remember that what pumpkin announced that the game studio “the odd gentlemen” was originally attached to develop the game, and you may also remember that they quietly moved to in house development in 2014. what they didn’t tell you: the reason they did this was that odd gentlemen stole kickstarter money and spent it on king’s quest.

i imagine most of us who backed the homestuck game kickstarter are pretty curious about what was going on there. i’ve done some work on the comic and talk to andrew from time to time, so i tried asking about what happened and got some very cagey non-responses. eventually, he tells me he actually can’t tell me anywhere but through kickstarter because of a settlement he signed (already fishy). so, i sent in an inquiry through KS and what i got was a big steaming load of bullshit worse than anything i could have imagined. i’m talking multiple counts of embezzlement and fraud.

according to the timeline in the doc i got, WP gave 788k to TOG in 2012 to develop hiveswap. they then proceeded to do next to nothing, completely blowing off the dev schedule that they agreed to. (the game was supposed to be done by oct 2014. instead, that was when WP ended up having to switch to in house development and start from scratch.) the doc included a detailed rundown of everything TOG actually did. in summary:

“Over 8 months of development, TOG produced exactly one “playable build”. It is a single room, involving one character, no animation, and almost no other key features. Virtually nothing works properly. It was submitted in February of 2014, and no improvements or additional versions were submitted beyond that date.”

a link to it was included in the doc. it’s… probably the worst thing i’ve ever seen in my life?? if you try to click on ANYTHING, joey runs into a bookcase and flies into the air and the demo gets stuck. the only thing that distinguishes it from an out-of-the-box adventure creator demo is its very subpar models and the fact it is unplayably bugged.

at some point TOG apparently just completely gave up working on hiveswap, because they were tapped to develop king’s quest (you can see them admit this in public here at about 1 minute into this video). however, instead of dropping out of developing the game, they decided to just… not tell WP, and proceeded to spend the money they were given on KQ’s development instead.

eventually, after months of platitudes and refusals to communicate (at one point andrew even moved across the country to be able to visit TOG’s offices and get the ball rolling on development, but they wouldn’t even let him come in), WP realized that they’d have to drop TOG, so they terminated the contract in late 2014.

at that stage, TOG said they had 390,000 dollars left of the money WP gave them that they hadn’t spent on “development” or taxes. but, get this – in the 7 months it took them to agree on a settlement for returning the money, they spent 170,000 of it on king’s quest. seriously. like, they didn’t even try to hide it – they straight up spent it after they’d already officially stopped working on the game, and were just like, haha, whoops? pay you back later i guess.

this isn’t acknowledged in a binding settlement like the king’s quest embezzlement is, but i’m pretty sure most of the 190k they claim they spent on hiveswap’s development before they picked up KQ went into neil gaiman’s wayward manor. they picked THAT up at around the time they were supposed to start working on hiveswap, and admitted the workload was conflicting with their ability to devote time to hiveswap. given the egregiously overstated man hours claimed for how little work they actually did, and the fact they admittedly stole the money for another game, i think it’s a pretty obvious conclusion to reach.

it doesn’t look like there was ever a point where TOG wasn’t funneling homestuck’s KS money into another game. it’s unclear whether they EVER actually intended to seriously develop the game. they straight up signed up to steal money from us.

andrew mentioned that this was one of the biggest reasons for the gigapause, and that all the logistics of dealing with TOG’s incompetence meant he couldn’t get much work done on the comic in that time.

why am i posting this? well, king’s quest was developed with stolen money, so it’s probably in your best interest to know this before you buy it. all things considered, it’s a miracle that hiveswap is doing as well as it is – at this point, i think hiveswap has moved past this fiasco and isn’t in any danger of falling through. it’s uh, pretty late, but from what i’ve seen, they’re well on their way to an Actual Game that may be Actually Good despite getting jerked around by a circus of incompetent clowns for 8 months.

at this point, i’m not sure what to DO about this. what pumpkin is bound by the settlement they had to sign if they wanted to get any of the money back at all, so there’s not much that they themselves can do to retrieve the money TOG stole from us. i actually tried messaging sierra, the company that licensed KQ to TOG, but they don’t seem to care that KQ was made with stolen money. maybe activision might want to know. in any case, it’s important that this info get out there so people know what they’re dealing with when buying something from the odd gentlemen.
From: http://ipgd.tumblr.com/post/123230861032/im-sure-that-everyone-has-noticed-by-now-that-the

It's kind of hard to get to the bottom of it since it's all "He said , she said" type of allegations.

Last edited:

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Pickle Inspector Supposedly this was made up by IPGD, Hussie's former girlfriend (?); anyone who asked about it on the Steam Community page for Hiveswap had their thread locked. Shady shit going on, no matter how you look at it.
Interesting, although could it possibly be that they didn't want to get sued for slander or something?

D. Sweatshirt

kiwifarms.net
Interesting, although could it possibly be that they didn't want to get sued for slander or something?
That's also a possibility. They've been very careful to cover their tracks, especially in Hussie's case. Other than the quote from @.o.bama's original article, there's not really a whole lot on Hussie's private Twitter that's been uncovered.

Last edited:

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Didn't he end that months ago?
Apparently there is going to be an epilogue to Homestuck, similar to what he done with Problem Sleuth (His last big webcomic).

The last update had the 'end credits' which showed a scene (Spoilers, if anyone cares) which I think foreshadows events that'll happen in the upcoming video game so maybe the epilogue, if it's getting made, ties into the Hivestuck game and Hussie won't release the epilogue until the game is out so he can promote it with his Homestuck webcomic.

Last edited:

RADICALGOBLIN

what
kiwifarms.net
why the fuck do people care about whether or not everything sinks or swims
let's get real here i can barely think of people who care about homestuck anymore
without the updates keeping people on their toes there's nothing left for them to care about
it's too boring for old readers and it's too confusing for new readers

Quijibo69

Mr. Robot
kiwifarms.net
why the fuck do people care about whether or not everything sinks or swims
let's get real here i can barely think of people who care about homestuck anymore
without the updates keeping people on their toes there's nothing left for them to care about
it's too boring for old readers and it's too confusing for new readers
Like it was a thing to begin with because I still don't know what the hell it is or was.

D. Sweatshirt

kiwifarms.net
some mediocre webcomic.
Think of it as if after making Evangelion (Problem Sleuth), Gainax made fucking teletubies.
Pretty apt way of putting it. There were some parts of Homestuck that are somewhat worth mentioning, like Collide, but it wound up just becoming a way for Hussie to make some easy dough in the end.

D. Sweatshirt

kiwifarms.net
Webcomic's were made after 2007? Wow!
Hard to believe, honestly; most of the writers that were decent back in the day moved on to other parts of the industry. Sometimes I'm amazed Homestuck has stayed alive as long as it has, especially since the craziest parts of the fandom moved on to Undertale and Steven Universe.