What's Gab's end goal with cloning Brave? -

SoapQueen1

speed bump, failed business, retired tism wrangler
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Without the backend infrastructure to serve ads I don't understand the point.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: IAmNotAlpharius

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Dissenter extension got basically banned so they needed to fork a browser to include Dissenter by default. Brave might be the easiest (partially) de-Googled Chromium browser to fork. I don't believe their business model is about serving ads, I don't even really know what Gab's business model is.

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
The Dissenter extension got basically banned so they needed to fork a browser to include Dissenter by default. Brave might be the easiest (partially) de-Googled Chromium browser to fork. I don't believe their business model is about serving ads, I don't even really know what Gab's business model is.
They've just introduced gabPro subscription. Basically you pay $60 a year and you get verified and other pointless nonsense.

I got off the gab bandwagon (despite having 10,000+ followers) when they banned lewd anime. While degenerate, dumb drawings are harmless and gab are no different than SJW platforms in this regard, except they are on the extreme conservative end of the spectrum so they ban the things right-wingers find offensive.

Fuck reddit, fuck twitter, fuck gab, fuck everything and everyone with a cherry on top.

TaInTeDtAcO

supreme gentleman
kiwifarms.net
Torba is a moron. He and whoever else he works with at Gab completely incompetent when it comes to coding, creating functional products, and web development.

When he "forks" something basically he's taking something and sticking his shitty Gab logo on it. He then e-begs for money from clueless boomers and Q-anon fanatics by telling them that they are "fighting back" against the deep state and big tech.

Right wing grift at it's finest.

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
...I don't even really know what Gab's business model is.
Collecting sheckles is Gab's business model. See, for example, the email below, sent just a day ago.

There was never any point to forking Brave, apart from trying to use it to boost their profile. At least it isn't a miserable failure, like forking Mastodon, the least efficient 'open social' software around, is going to be.

Who knows. They may just get a thousand more boomers to sign up at a thousand a pop this time. Or maybe not! We will see. I suspect the 'hackers' excuse for poor site performance may run a little thin when everything stops working after their great migration to Mastodon.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
They've just introduced gabPro subscription. Basically you pay $60 a year and you get verified and other pointless nonsense.
Paid subscription for social media can actually work, btu they things they're featuring is stupid. For starters, paid verification is meh. Why would be the point for me, some nobody, to have a "verification" badge?

Reactions: TaInTeDtAcO

The Shadow

Talk to the Hand
kiwifarms.net
I see that you, too, are a connoisseur of the exquisite music of Rammstein.
Surprisingly, not really. I only really know "Du Hasst"; I just remembered from High School German that "Zwitter" meant something funny. I did stumble across the Rammstein song while looking up what funny thing it meant, though.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Julia Fortune

Very Real Online Girl
kiwifarms.net
Even if @Null lost his fucking mind, sold his soul for a few dozen bitcoins, and tried to start a Twitter alternative, it would quickly run into the 8chan/Gab Wall where the user base sucks so fucking bad that everyone would rather just die.

• Feels
Reactions: Chichan
X

XE 600

kiwifarms.net
This is still a thing? I'm surprised it's not dead yet.

GAB would never be considered a decent alternative to Twitter. It feels too similar like twitter so there's nothing to grab those who still use twitter and those who do use GAB tend to post something along the lines of "hur durr heil Hitler" which would make normies who are banned from twitter not want to turn to GAB. On top of this, Twitter itself is (very slowly) dying so nobody cares for that style of social media website.

Julia Fortune

Very Real Online Girl
kiwifarms.net
...Twitter itself is (very slowly) dying so nobody cares for that style of social media website.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm noticing a lot of friends are moving back to more classically styled social media for public, and Discord for private. Forums and 4chan are most of what I browse nowadays, I just use my twitter to keep up with news, anime, and to catfish exceptional pedophiles.

• Feels
Reactions: Chichan
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino