What's something you taught yourself how to do? - Because not everything you need to know is taught at school/home

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Chan Fan

Stunning and based
kiwifarms.net
What is something you are teaching/have taught yourself how to do? How did you do it and why?

I've used programs and apps to learn other languages because it's interesting to me. Spanish was the only other language taught in my school and I didn't really want to learn it so as soon as I had other ways available to learn I jumped at the chance.

I taught myself that it's okay to spend money and use the things I bought. There are some things you buy that are meant to be used because they won't last forever. Due in part to my parent's ages (and both living in poverty at different times in their lives) my parents thought if you spent money on something it was almost wrong to use it instead of keeping it to use at a better time. This led to things like - me not using a lot of soap or shampoo because I was worried about using it all up too fast which meant the products didn't work as well, or not eating snacks I bought because if I ate them as soon as I bought them it meant I was being too impatient and eventually letting them expire because that was better than being impatient. But I realized that if I bought something that meant to use it, and that using something is different than wasting it.

I also learned how credit/debit cards worked on my own because my parents told me as a kid that those things were only for impatient people and that using sites like eBay just meant getting something "right now" meant I wasn't being patient enough to eventually find the item myself at a later time (and likely, by their reasoning, with a discount. Of course they just had no real understanding of how these things worked but they eventually figured it out like I did.) Now I will say with credit cards I learned the hard way but sometimes that's just how you have to learn. And I realized that credit and debit cards weren't wrong as long as you were responsible with them and that they didn't mean "free money." It was nice not having to use my day off from work to drive around and pay my bills with cash when I could do it online.

nekrataal

frisky frog and shadpole respecter.
kiwifarms.net
I learned how to build vivariums for my animals. It gets really expensive to buy prebuilt enclosures and the usual 40 gallon tanks just don’t cut it for anything but fish. It’s a lot cheaper to just buy the materials and build them, especially when you need to build 5 or more.

I also learned about credit cards and how to use them properly because I grew up seeing people misuse them then go into debt.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
kiwifarms.net
Fixing computers. After high school I became more interested in tech, and whenever I had issues with my old computer, I would do research on the issues and solutions in fixing those issues. It got to the point where i was taking apart my tower, learning what each part was, and then replacing the bad parts with better ones (or even adding to it like more ram and a better video card). Once it got to the point where i was like "psh, this shit is easy", I decided to make it into a hobby in the majority of my 20's and fix other people's personal computers (for the record i hate laptops since everything is so compacted and not spaced out like desktop towers). Now in my 30's i can't do that anymore since everyone and their grandmother knows someone in the family that's a "computer geek" and people have gotten this mindset to just throw shit away and replace it rather than fix what is broken. But thankfully I have IT as a career so I'm happy about that.

Exigent Circumcisions

Post tasteful trotter daguerreotypes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Playing guitar and singing. Just a lot of listening to songs I know and following along with chord diagrams, paying attention to my form, jamming with better players. As far as singing goes, I started recording myself, cringing hard enough to sprain a rib and then breaking things down into their constituent parts. First is rhythm and meter: if you can't get the timing right you might as well not even bother. Then emotion: if you can't sell the feeling of the song it doesn't matter how technically perfect you are. Then the technical aspects: tone, volume, cadence, breath control etc. I'm not perfect but I can put on a good show and that's what's important to me.

Another notable thing I've taught myself is chess. I use lichess on my phone or pychess on my laptop: for a few years I just played dozens of unrated games per week and tried to learn to avoid the most obvious traps. Also, using the built-in analysis tools afterwards to get an idea of what I should have done to stop from getting my shit pushed in. When I started to win around half of my games I signed up for a rated account so I could track my progress. 15+15 and 10+0 games I win roughly 50% of the time but 5+0 games I'm up around 60% win rate, with several six game winning streaks and last night I got it up to seven.

I don't study openings per se; I've seen most (if not all) of them over the board by now and have a decent idea of how to react to them. I watch agadmator's chess videos on YouTube and try to glean tactical and strategic ideas from them in a broad sense but I don't like to get into particulars; if it's too much like studying I get bored.

Those are the two things that stand out the most; I've taught myself to do all kinds of things and the best advice I have is just to be uncompromising in your self-assessment, embrace failure by recognizing that even negative results are good data for growth and don't ignore people when they're complimentary (up to a point; people tend to be polite by nature so you have to maintain your critical eye or you'll start to slip into mediocrity).

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anger management. When I was little I'd snap at little provocation, but as I grew up I got better and better at controlling my anger, to the point that these days I don't know if I could even externally display it. Engage in acts of vengeance? Certainly. But outwardly express it through raising my voice or punching a wall? Probably not.

Spiritually Sodomized

Filled with the Holy Ghost
kiwifarms.net
English and Spanish. I realized very early on in life that even if I failed at everything else, being able to speak other commonly spoken languages would enable me to get work wherever I went even if I had no other marketable skills. And if I did, that would only make them all the more valuable. I've never taken a formal lesson in either of them; I started English at with a set of storybooks for small children with just a single line on each page and listening to children's television (they often talk slower without a strong accent and used smaller words, that helped me get some of the more unusual sounds) and just eventually slowly moved onwards onto more complex stuff. By the time it came for me to start a university-level study abroad, I passed my IELCAT (International English Language Competency Assessment ) with a C2, the highest possible mark.

However. I did make a big mistake in some of my choice of material. One show that I latched onto to teach myself English was......Neighbours. For anyone who for some reason doesn't know, it's an Aussie soap opera. I knew better than to use the slang but upon landing to start my studies I spoke English with a very strong accent.

I've never been to Australia. I don't know anyone with any Australian ties.

It's not very noticeable anymore, and I knew that there were different ways to speak English but it just never occurred to me at the time how ridiculous this could look. Native speakers just never believed it when I told them where I was actually from.

Exigent Circumcisions

Post tasteful trotter daguerreotypes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Learned to crochet last year, so I can make lots of things. It's not hard once you know what the different stitches are and how to read patterns. I'm learning guitar right now, got to keep myself busy.
Play Freebird!

Block Me

kiwifarms.net
I taught myself to read when I was three. My Dad had one of those "teach your kid to read" workbooks that he had used on my older siblings and I just picked it up one day and was like "hey, I know some of these words." I ended up going through almost the whole thing solo and by the time I was four I could read those little junior novels like the Franklin the turtle storybooks by myself.

It's not that my parents didn't try to teach me themselves, I just beat them to the punch lol

Liber Pater

Huwhyte Christmas
kiwifarms.net
Breathing (among other things).
No, seriously. "Relearning" how to breathe properly has been tremendously beneficial for my health. Diaphragmatic breathing is most natural in early childhood, but many people "unlearn" it over time, and develop poor breathing habits. Mouth breathing and/or shallow-breathing is also unfortunately common, and are terrible for health and respiratory efficiency.

Some JERK

I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin'
kiwifarms.net
Drive stick. All I can tell anyone is that the best way to learn to drive stick is to have a friend with a stick-shift loan you their car for a couple of days or just rent one for a weekend. Drive it around late at night when there aren't too many cars around. That's how I did it. You WILL grind the clutch and stall it out several times at first and you might even get pulled over for your driving but if you explain the situation to the cops they'll be cool about it.

Practice starting from an uphill dead stop a lot. Once you get to the point where you're not stalling it out in intersections anymore practice popping the clutch to start it on a downslope. Driving it around a parking lot is useful but nothing beats actual road driving and starting from red lights and 4 way stops. Practice downshifting around corners. By the end of a three-day weekend I could drive stick well enough to be comfortable buying one, so I did and never looked back.

Last edited:

Virgo

Be afraid of who you are.
kiwifarms.net
I taught myself how to create digital art in Photoshop like ten years ago. That was fun and I was considering trying it again when I have a bigger monitor and desktop.

Cross stitch and knitting. Learned from Youtube and books from the library.

Programming, coding, built my own desktop, some infosec stuff. I'm starting an IT degree in July so trying to get ahead with going over what I learned in my diploma 5 years ago as well as self taught stuff.

Taught myself how to drive and I'm not flash at it but I get by. I need professional lessons so I don't fail my restricted as they're pretty picky. My parallel parks are A+, never had a problem with those.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Halloweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Notable solo projects: Riding a bicycle and jerking off, years apart, not both at once.

There's that revelation with both where it just clicks and you go 'oooooh' and it becomes your favorite thing for a while.