What's the deal with the Alt-Right?

Lorento

Nick Clegg's biggest fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Politics is a vile pit of iniquity. When you have a successful trope like your opposition being inbred morons without exception and essentially identical to the mutants from The Hills Have Eyes, you're going to push that shit. Like wartime propaganda, it works. It's also about as true as wartime propaganda.

There's usually something to it, otherwise people would just reject it entirely, but it's more or less bullshit.

More people should realize that hurling slurs at the opposition, while fun, is not actually fighting pure evil.

It's honestly remarkable how often I see it at my University. There are people who DESPISE David Cameron and anyone who votes Tory for being some kind of monster and cannot see any good in them. But they don't know why. I ask them and they cannot give an answer, they just hate Cameron because reasons. Don't get me wrong, mocking David Cameron is fun and I recommend that everyone try it, but I can't deny that he does have some ideas that aren't that awful.

But decrying your opponent as a demon helps breed children who hate because of what colour you supported in the election.

This is ignorance, this sort of thinking helped create the polarising politics of today, where the Left are convinced that the Right are fascists who wank to Hitler speeches and the Right are convinced the Left all follow the Identity Politics of the SJW breed of Leftist.

GL99

Healers Love Me
kiwifarms.net
Yes, exactly this; it's basically being labeled a subhuman. No matter how smart, educated, or prosperous you are, you're mentally and socially defective. No matter how much time and money you give to charity, even if it's more than your political opposition, you're selfish. No matter how equally you treat people or how slow to judge you are, you're heartless and narrow-minded. Why? Because you dare to disagree. And worse, those who do claim the right beliefs are given a free pass for every crime and flaw of which you're casually accused, while being considered "good people".

Ask yourself why anyone should want the respect of someone who will always, always find fault with you on the most personal level, questioning even your worth as a human being, just because you don't agree with them. Ask yourself why anyone should give one flying damn about the opinion of someone who, no matter what you do or who you are, will still insist on holding up a picture of Ernest T. Bass and saying "Hurr hurr, that's you!"

Some of the alt-right--well, the bits that aren't a bunch of angry people experiencing delayed adolescence due to repressive social conditions--some of it is what happens when the dehumanized right-winger asks those questions. (Or you get me, who just shrugs it all off and does what I do regardless because I know who I am. But mostly alt-right.)

I can understand what you're saying and I certainly applaud your sympathy for these people. I generally find the knee-jerk condemnation of anyone and anything insufficiently leftward one sees from SJWs to be very, very tiresome. But there's also an element of exploitation and further extremization that makes alt-right autism particularly noxious.

Chris-chan might be an autist, but at least nobody's trying to sell me his little medallions or comic books, and it's not like I've been charged for admission to the Farms. On the other hand, much of the alt-right is geared towards fleecing the sad sacks you describe in your post. "Hey, downwardly mobile white heterosexual male! Want to know why the SJWs hate you? Buy Bryce Laliberte's What is Neoreaction or subscribe to Occidental Quarterly for the low, low price of 60 dollars per year (that's for a "regular" print subscription) or donate to VDare or listen to Jack Donovan, a gay man, tell you why you need to Man Up (wink!) and we'll give you all the answers!" And of course, since these guys want to make money, it never stops there. They have a vested interest in ensuring the sad-sack, much-hated white dude they've ensnared mires even further in his alienation instead of moving beyond it like you apparently did. Thus, that scene is particularly distasteful in its own way, IMO.

Sheikh_Speare

kiwifarms.net
The alt-right is largely a manifestation of frustration with the liberalism of Obama's America, combined with a rejection of Bush-era notions of conservatism. This basically leads to alt-right positions being a grab bag of contrarian bullshit and second-option bias. A lot of it is also a desperate attempt at articulating a right wing position without sounding like evangelical neocons ("Fuck you, dad! Jesus is a kike on a stick and Hitler did nothing wrong!").

For people who claim to not give a fuck what liberals think, a great deal of alt-right discourse is about signaling to liberals how smart and different and edgy they are. This is why you really find no creationists or fundie protestants in the alt-right. Instead they're into "HBD," which is mostly rehashed 19th century "race science," but they think that having IQ stats and cranial charts at least looks more intellectual than believing that Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs. Alt-right ideas have a heavy air of "survival of the fittest" and "might is right" (the latter actually being the name of an incoherent 19th century tract that a lot of alt-rightists suggest).

Bungleboy

ask me about my creamed corn fetish
kiwifarms.net
The alt-right is largely a manifestation of frustration with the liberalism of Obama's America, combined with a rejection of Bush-era notions of conservatism. This basically leads to alt-right positions being a grab bag of contrarian bullshit and second-option bias. A lot of it is also a desperate attempt at articulating a right wing position without sounding like evangelical neocons ("Fuck you, dad! Jesus is a kike on a stick and Hitler did nothing wrong!").

For people who claim to not give a fuck what liberals think, a great deal of alt-right discourse is about signaling to liberals how smart and different and edgy they are. This is why you really find no creationists or fundie protestants in the alt-right. Instead they're into "HBD," which is mostly rehashed 19th century "race science," but they think that having IQ stats and cranial charts at least looks more intellectual than believing that Adam and Eve rode dinosaurs. Alt-right ideas have a heavy air of "survival of the fittest" and "might is right" (the latter actually being the name of an incoherent 19th century tract that a lot of alt-rightists suggest).

Can we take a moment to appreciate the irony of alt-right autists (And they are autists) obsessing with the might is right part of fascism? They're all a bunch of bitter manchildren with dead end prospects who would be pitched right into the gas chambers if their fascist utopia came to fruition.

Lorento

Nick Clegg's biggest fan
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've reread the Michael Anissimov thing and realized something

Just how many Mikeys are there in the alt-right? He was just too stupid to be caught sperging about some woman on the Internet and sending death threats to other people over Twitter

Anyone who unironically calls themselves a member of the Alt-Right is a lolcow, so yes they would all be Mikeys.

Dudeofteenage

Mister Standfast
kiwifarms.net
Can we take a moment to appreciate the irony of alt-right autists (And they are autists) obsessing with the might is right part of fascism? They're all a bunch of bitter manchildren with dead end prospects who would be pitched right into the gas chambers if their fascist utopia came to fruition.

The internet is full of people who believe that they would be able to rule some kind of Mad Max/Ayn Rand wasteland through their incredible willpower and resolution. Chiefly because the sort of Nietzschean will-to-power they prize so highly is an invisible trait, so nobody can conclusively prove they don't have it.

AnOminous

Villain, I have done thy mother.
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The internet is full of people who believe that they would be able to rule some kind of Mad Max/Ayn Rand wasteland through their incredible willpower and resolution. Chiefly because the sort of Nietzschean will-to-power they prize so highly is an invisible trait, so nobody can conclusively prove they don't have it.

It's stupid as fuck. Sure, some people are better suited to some anarchic wasteland setting than others, but if you're in a situation where bullets are flying around, it's more or less a matter of chance whether you take one. There are a number of things you could do to improve your odds, but your odds would still suck shit by any rational standard.

The Knife's Husbando

Combat pragmatist
kiwifarms.net

It's stupid as fuck. Sure, some people are better suited to some anarchic wasteland setting than others, but if you're in a situation where bullets are flying around, it's more or less a matter of chance whether you take one. There are a number of things you could do to improve your odds, but your odds would still suck shit by any rational standard.

"Regardless of how you may stack the cards in your favor, if you get into enough firefights, you're eventually going to lose one. And losing one is all it takes."- Clarice Starling, Hannibal

Dudeofteenage

Mister Standfast
kiwifarms.net
A good chunk of them probably don't even consider their own chances for survival in their anarchical wet dreams, only that those they don't like are certainly going to get theirs....

Intrinsic in the belief of any kind of innate hierarchy is the speaker's belief that they, the speaker, are at or near the top of this hierarchy.

The moment somebody propagates some form of intrinsic superiority and attributes it to a group they're not part of, then I'll start taking the idea seriously.

autisticdragonkin

Eric Borsheim
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think that not only is the alt-right united only by hatred of SJWs but that many factions would be more opposed to each other if it weren't for SJWs being a larger threat than the entire alt-right combined. Particularly as soon as SJWs become less influential the populists and the elitists will likely become mortal enemies and support opposite political parties

TowinKarz

Dirty Work Inc.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The more I think about it, the more I think the alt-right is the funhouse mirror version of the Occupy movement, everyone who isn't already signed up to a cause, united only by dissatisfaction at what they see as a system that has failed them, but ultimately too fractured to make any headway, thus they've settled for a life of loud, but harmless, mediocrity.