What's the most neutral English accent? -

Foxxo

Mistakes were made.
kiwifarms.net
The one used by newcasters.
For those who don't know, this is the Midwestern American (Eastern Middle America) accent.

Coh

(Now with 50% more Zoanthropic Paranoia)
kiwifarms.net
Middle class Australian, surprisingly, just like mine. Any rhotic accent is too silly, 'car' should be pronounced 'cah'
Non-rhotic accents are the pinnacle of autism. What's the fucking point of the "r" if you're not going to pronounce it? That being said, Midwestern American English and the varieties of Canadian English that don't go overboard with the "about - 'a boat'" merger bullshit.

• Agree
Reactions: Mender Bug

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
kiwifarms.net

General American or Mid-Atlantic

General American being a Nebraskan accent.
pacific northwest is a pretty neutral sounding one. they say "cot "and "caught" the same way though
Eastern US that isn't as south as North Carolina and below, or as north as New Jersey and above, or as west as Kansas. Middle Eastern United States.

every brit I've ever heard, even the ones that narrate TV shows (that is, speak for a living), sound so annoying it makes me want to shove scissors in my ears
I think general American is the decisive winner. It's the reason why news anchors are trained to use it while on air, so that as many people as possible can understand them.
Same, except my mine, not his.

In reality I'd say cockney.
Essex Accent

ill fight you for anything less
I'm curious how many people claiming this or that flavor of American/British English are in fact native to the accent, or at least country they're repping. There sure seems to be a lot of national and regional tribalism, particularly between the Yanks and the Limeys.

Just to throw in something different, whatever you call the generalized accent the military seems to produce. They do, after all, have to give understandable orders.
I disagree.

British.
I have an easier time understanding a britbong than I have understanding an American.
What do you mean "British"? Are you saying this is just as understandable as what you hear on BBC?

• DRINK!
Reactions: Marco Fucko

Piss

kiwifarms.net
Hard to get more milquetoast than Vancouverites, or Ottawans. Easy to understand, but they've nothing to say.
I watch a Vancouverite streamer every now and then

His accent is fine until he says "It's aboat 150 kilometers away and it's really hot oot there, like 27 degrees all the time"

Exigent Circumcisions

I can smell youuuuu.... you smell niiiiice....
kiwifarms.net
I watch a Vancouverite streamer every now and then

His accent is fine until he says "It's aboat 150 kilometers away and it's really hot oot there, like 27 degrees all the time"
Then he's from some Eastern, rural area even though he currently lives in Vancouver. There's some gay Canuck historian on youtube who lives in Vancouver but he immediately stands out as an Ontarian or some shit; they're the ones who do the 'oots' and 'aboots' and "Hey Berb bring the ker around we're go-un to the perk!"

Truly, savage people.

• Informative
Reactions: S4D4K0 and Piss

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
Middle American although I prefer Northern/Irish accents. It's due to growing up around Irish and Irish Catholic nuns. The Irish are great storytellers/writers, love hearing them tell a story.

S4D4K0

kiwifarms.net
I think general American is the decisive winner. It's the reason why news anchors are trained to use it while on air, so that as many people as possible can understand them.
Yes. Cash money.
English was generally spoken that way on both sides of the pond before English elites started talking funny to distinguish themselves from commoner filth in the late 1700s.

End the classist oppression, #MakeEnglandRhoticAgain

Mender Bug

kiwifarms.net
There's some gay Canuck historian on youtube who lives in Vancouver but he immediately stands out as an Ontarian or some shit; they're the ones who do the 'oots' and 'aboots' and "Hey Berb bring the ker around we're go-un to the perk!"
I'm pretty sure you're talking about JJ McCullough. I'm not the biggest fan of his but his videos are usually well made and very interesting when I see them pop up in my recommendations

He also really does not like Quebec.

Exigent Circumcisions

I can smell youuuuu.... you smell niiiiice....
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure you're talking about JJ McCullough. I'm not the biggest fan of his but his videos are usually well made and very interesting when I see them pop up in my recommendations

He also really does not like Quebec.
Yeah, I think that's the fag I'm thinking of. Agreed. My wife enjoys him more than I do.

All solid, upstanding anglos hate Quebec.

Edit: Yeah, this is him

• Agree
Reactions: Mender Bug

Sprig of Parsley

kiwifarms.net
There is actually a distinct voice that I have heard most major news networks tend to want people trained in. I've never heard it called general American but I have heard it quite literally referred to as the News accent. Sometimes Newsanchor or Newsman accent, but usually just News accent. It's weird because no one demographic in the entire USA actually talks exactly like that, from what I've heard.

chekovia

Whole squad full of fucking killers
kiwifarms.net
Yes. Cash money.
English was generally spoken that way on both sides of the pond before English elites started talking funny to distinguish themselves from commoner filth in the late 1700s.

End the classist oppression, #MakeEnglandRhoticAgain
Rhotic accents hurt my ears too much already, please stop!!!

• Mad at the Internet
Reactions: S4D4K0
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino