What's the worst fanbase ever?

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

What is the worst fandom?

• Sonic the Hedgehog

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Pokemon

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anime (in general)

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Heavy/extreme metal music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Little Pony

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • Video gaming (in general)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Steven Universe

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Cartoons in general (e.x. Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon)

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Insane Clown Posse

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Youtubers (in general)

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • Card/tabletop games in general (e.x. Magic, D&D)

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Capeshit movies

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • Other (take your pick)

Votes: 14 10.9%

• Total voters

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
The whole "fandom" idea is horrible and weird, and says a lot about the people who participate.

I'm not talking about liking a thing, I'm talking about making liking that thing part of your "identity" and creating or joining communities purely on liking that thing and nothing else. Choosing your friends based on solely a shared enjoyment of a piece of media is insane. As the horror stories show, people who like a certain IP may be any sort of person and like it for any reason, and you're throwing yourself in there with all the psychos, political extremist, autists etc. if you put what shows you watch or what music you listen to above whether you have similar values when choosing your friends and associates.

A healthy person chooses friends on shared values and enjoying that person's company. Chances are that someone from a similar background to you, who shares your outlook on the world and whose company you are comfortable in will share your taste in media - but that compatibility comes first and it isn't even necessary. Some of my best friends don't like the same music I like or the same films I like and that's fine. It's a secondary thing.

Also, there's a certain pathetic quality to devoting yourself to something that someone else made. You're getting someone else's creation to fill a void in your personality. And "loyalty" to commercial products is inherently stupid. The marketing people for these things are dining out on your emotional connection to something they just see as a product to sell. Show some individuality ffs. I used to like Radiohead, in fact I absolutely fucking loved Radiohead, when they were a guitar band. But then they started making electronic beepy boopy noises and I didn't enjoy that at all. So I stopped listening to Radiohead and listened to other music that I liked more. What I didn't do was send death threats to Thom Yorke for not writing music that he apparently "owes" his fans, or spend hours every day on the internet fighting with other people who did like the new sound and trying to get them fired from their jobs.

Most of these "fandom" people have weird parasocial relationships with the creators of their favourite media or even fictional characters within that media, and that's not something that can ever end well. I liked Attack on Titan. I thought some of the characters were well-written, but I didn't look up to them or write love letters to them, or write stories about my self-insert interacting with them. They're not fucking real. Eren or Leon aren't "inspiring". They are portrayed as doing brave and significant things, but it's a fucking cartoon. Nobody really bravely faced impossible odds and certain death while creating them. That's not to say you can't like the way they are written or look at the themes of their writing, but "fandom" goes beyond that. Treating fictional characters as if they are real is the sign of a broken brain.

To answer OP's question, therefore, it has to be Sonic the Hedgehog. Sonic is one of the most cynical marketing mascots ever created. There's no artistry or creative inspiration behind him - he was created by a corporation to create an "edgier" 90's mascot to rival Mario and sell Sega consoles, and everything Sonic related started from there. At least Attack on Titan wanted to tell a story first and foremost. Being a "fan" of Sonic is a bit like being a "fan" of Ronald McDonald. It's a real lowest-common-denominator thing, so that's why people who take Sonic seriously are the biggest autists on the planet.

Scourge Muffet

状況開始
kiwifarms.net
A lot are really shit but I really do think cartoons in general as a whole(MLP, Steven Universe, whatever) take the cake
I have never seen fanbases more full of mentally ill degenerates than cartoons and I don't understand what is it about cartoons that attracts literal manchildren, pedos, level 100 autists and people who are literally mentally disabled and swallow the chemicals under the sink, woke fags, like cartoons do

Manchildren with no grasp on reality throwing hissy fits when you dare say cartoons are for kids or aren't that mature and deep like some autists make them out to be, losers with giant hate boners for anime who feel the need to state it every moment or give out bullshit reasons for not liking anime, woke fags who are weirdly obsessed with the sexualites and relationships of fictional kids in a cartoon, just all around awful
I have never once met someone who was into cartoons that wasn't a complete freak or degenerate

Honorable mentions:
indie game fanbases: I really like indie games(name and avatar give it away) I think most are fun and I respect the passion and love a lot of the devs put into their games and their prob some of the only modern games I give a shit about
but holy fuck do I hate the fanbases of most indie games, because their always fucking filled with woke tard faggot teens
I just want to look around at cute fanart of obscure characters or see what other people's theories or experiences are, not get identity politics or stupid ass shippings shoved down my throat
as a result I generally just don't bother with the communities of these sort of games at all

Sci FI Shit: for some fucking reason, sci fi shit in general like halo and star wars and more seems to always attract the biggest manchildren who don't know when to let go and move on, i'm not a fan of star wars disney either but fuck sakes, either ignore it or move on. The amount of children i've seen throwing hissy fits over modern halo or disney star wars is too much to count doesn't help when outrage channel cunts only add fuel to the fire

FPS Fans: I'll prob get shit for this but I honestly always found FPS fans to be obnoxious, from edgelord macho men wannabe losers thinking enjoying "Baby" games is a sin to boomers who act like 90s fps games that are basically just run around an unfun boring maze collecting keycard while dealing with hitscan enemies is peak game design to overall fanboys who act like Half Life 2 is the greatest FPS game ever made and this isn't even including competitive FPS
I am well aware this can be applied to any genre really but I rarely see it said with FPS

Last edited:

UNDERSTAND UNDERSTAND

Let's look at the funk
kiwifarms.net
Going with card/tabletop gaming, specifically for anyone who gets autistic about proxied game pieces.
Also I hear the Jesus fandom gets up to some shit

Most of these "fandom" people have weird parasocial relationships with [...] fictional characters within that media
This is a phase I went through when I was 3-4 and it's personally horrifying when I see the same thing expressed by adults. I still think it's funny the character I liked is an active username here though.
I'm not talking about liking a thing, I'm talking about making liking that thing part of your "identity" and creating or joining communities purely on liking that thing and nothing else.
Feels like what's going on here is people using fandom to form connections but then getting stuck there.
Also, there's a certain pathetic quality to devoting yourself to something that someone else made. You're getting someone else's creation to fill a void in your personality. And "loyalty" to commercial products is inherently stupid.
I think it's fine if it's used to create something greater than the source was. Not that IP law likes that.
Also fine to keep an eye on creators to see what other cool shit they're gonna make, but corps aren't creators.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
This may not count, but can I nominate people who refer to their professional sports team of choice as "We"?
I support a sportsball team and it won a really big match. The next day one of my co-workers came over to congratulate me on the result. I thanked him because it was the polite thing to do I guess, but being spoken to as if I had anything to do with the achievement of a completely different group of people who have no idea I exist was really weird. It's a tribal thing I guess.

Eloise419

Turn up the volume with Agree!
kiwifarms.net
Looney Tunes is one of the worst I've ever encountered. Nothing but a bunch of middle-aged, internet tough guy toxic manbabies who spend more time complaining about the franchise itself than actually enjoying it. Not helping their look is the "fun" fact that one of their biggest supporters is the original Internet Tough Guy, animator/admitted pedophile John Kricfalusi. The average Looney Tunes fanboy in a nutshell:
-Anything past the 50s is garbage and should be burned at once!
-If you dare praise [insert any LT voice actor not named Mel Blanc or June Foray] even for projects outside of Warner Bros., you're a fucking retard!
-Anyone who likes a distantly related cartoon like Animaniacs and Tiny Toons unironically should kill themselves!
-They should show the Censored Eleven and Wartime Cartoons on television again because iT dOeSn'T oFfEnD mEeEeE!!! sToP tRyInG tO rEwRiTe HiStOrY!!!! fUcK yOu FuCkiNg SnOwFlAkEs!!!!1!
-How dare anyone try to change anyone's personality! Character development is for pussies!
-I'm a true fan of the show because I only like the older stuff/I own all the good cartoons on DVD/my sister's husband's brother's ex-step-father-in-law's nephew's best friend's first cousin twice removed's boss' pimp's grand-uncle once saw Friz Freling at a store years ago! Suck my dick if you don't like my true opinions! REEEE!!!! BAWWW!!!!!